Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHX-PHL, first class; book a flight operated by 757 or by A321?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze

Hi everybody,

I'm about to book flights to PHX (from TLV), on business/first class, in November.

On the way back, I can choose out of two options:
1. Leaving PHX with US1704, which seems to be operated by a 757. It seems to be using an international aircraft (i.e. it has 2 rows of F, with 3D non-existent). Am I correct in assuming that this flight will have the (old) international business class for first class seats?
2. Leaving PHX 1:20 hours later with a regular A321 (flight US839).

In the first option the connection in PHL is 2:55, in the second it's 1:35. I really don't care to take the flight with the longer connection, if it means that I'll have better seats between PHX to PHL. Is my assumption that US1704 will be operated with an international aircraft correct? Which flight would you take, if you were me? Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Unless you have Global Entry to fly through customs, I'd take the longer connection regardless of aircraft type. You'll have lounge access, so would make the wait easier if you're not held up at customs, but IMO 1:35 is too tight. If anything gets a little delayed on the flight from TLV you'll be on the next one anyway (hopefully).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by ACA321
Unless you have Global Entry to fly through customs, I'd take the longer connection regardless of aircraft type. You'll have lounge access, so would make the wait easier if you're not held up at customs, but IMO 1:35 is too tight. If anything gets a little delayed on the flight from TLV you'll be on the next one anyway (hopefully).
He's talking on the return to TLV.

I'd take the 75 actually. You can actually sleep on the 75, and you can spend the rest of the time in the US Airways Club in A west. Given that PHL-TLV is done once daily, I would prefer enough cushion to ward against mechanical or ATC delays.

Anyone know if the Envoy config 75 has power?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gordo6
In the first option the connection in PHL is 2:55, in the second it's 1:35. I really don't care to take the flight with the longer connection, if it means that I'll have better seats between PHX to PHL. Is my assumption that US1704 will be operated with an international aircraft correct? Which flight would you take, if you were me? Thanks
Yes the 757 is the Envoy equiped bird, and this is the one I would take, after breakfest you can recline back and get a couple of hours of sleep, it's a nice ride. I have personnaly have taken this flight a couple of times and like it...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
He's talking on the return to TLV.

Anyone know if the Envoy config 75 has power?
He was talking about GOING to TLV, reread his post, "Leaving PHX with US1704, which seems to be operated by a 757 or an hour later on a A321."

The international configed 75 have a "standard 110v" outlet.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
He was talking about GOING to TLV, reread his post, "Leaving PHX with US1704, which seems to be operated by a 757 or an hour later on a A321."
I think that's what I said, no?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I think that's what I said, no?
Exactly. In case it wasn't clear, I'll be flying PHX-PHL-TLV (i.e. returning from PHX to TLV).

On the outbound (from TLV to PHX), the times of the US flights don't work for me so I'll be taking BA...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:54 am
Original Poster

BTW, which seat is preferable - 2F or 3F? The rest of rows 2,3 are already taken...
Also, is there anyway to be seated in row 1 in advance? Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Keep in mind that there's a nonzero chance that the plane type will change by November. Not certain, but they tend to swap around the international config planes fairly often.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:20 am

BTW, which seat is preferable - 2F or 3F? The rest of rows 2,3 are already taken...
Go with 2. IIRC, Envoy in Row 3 on a 752 has a recline limitation.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtremit
Keep in mind that there's a nonzero chance that the plane type will change by November. Not certain, but they tend to swap around the international config planes fairly often.
Unfortunately I know it's possible, but hopefully it won't happen... As I understand from other threads the 757 has been used on PHX-PHL for years on the flight that departs around 12pm, and hopefully it will be like that at least until I have to take that flight.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse

The international configed 75 have a "standard 110v" outlet.
Yes, sorry I misread that! Read/posted a little too early today
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

I would take the longer layover regardless of seat. always good to have extra time before an international flight. the a west concourse is long and will take a while to walk. the earlier flight has better seats and as it's internationally configured, more likely to arrive in A than a domestic a321.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dtremit
I doubt it, since US has been flying this bird on this route for a few years. It goes Europe-PHL-PHX-SAN-PHX-PHL-Europe.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I like Row 2 on this bird, you get full recline...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.