Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Will US upgrade CLT-LAX/SFO to AA's AFS standards on JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine

As an "old AA" customer, not knowing much about US, does anyone know if there is enough paid premium travel to upgrade CLT-LAX/SFO to what American offers as their "FlagShip Service" [AFS] on JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX, or will it be remain to AA's F service/equipment on BOS-LAX?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: None
I'd be surprised if CLT-LAX/SFO was upgraded to AFS. While there are plenty of elites that fly those routes to make upgrades hard to come by, I doubt there's enough high-yield passengers.

Jim
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
CLT-LAX is an important route yet commands only 6 flights/day, on 1 carrier.
JFK-LAX is an incredibly high-profile & competitive route & has 25 flights per day on 5 carriers. EWR adds another 15 flights/day. I just don't see the numbers warranting that level of service for CLT.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
AFS service is also a function of ticket prices - lots of premium customers flying JFK-LAX, SFO.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Never gonna happen. Just as AA won't do it for LAX-BOS or LAX-IAD or LAX-DCA.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Even if AA/US were to upgrade CLT-LAX/SFO to the level of AA B-list transcons (same F seats but with bose headphones, tablets, enhanced food, real pillow/quilt, etc), that would be a drastic improvement.

I agree though, probably not going to happen...BOS, IAD/DCA, and LAX strike me as high O/D pax relative to CLT.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AA AAdvantage, BAEC Silver, LX Miles & More, AF FlyingBlue, EK Skywards
Originally Posted by Max M
As an "old AA" customer, not knowing much about US, does anyone know if there is enough paid premium travel to upgrade CLT-LAX/SFO to what American offers as their "FlagShip Service" [AFS] on JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX, or will it be remain to AA's F service/equipment on BOS-LAX?
No, they will not.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joeyE
CLT-LAX is an important route yet commands only 6 flights/day, on 1 carrier.
I think people are missing something, CLT-SFO is a banking route, and most people in F paid for that seat, the fares are high on this route so US is making money on this route. Could US/AA up the catering on this route, YES... SHould they up the catering, YES... Will they, I highly doubt it.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Except AA does offer it to BOS, DCA, and IAD.

The seats are standard domestic (except MIA has 777 and 763) but the following receive enhanced catering (three entree choices, menu cards), international flagship pillows and duvet and (*) Samsung Tablets
The full list:

LAX-
BDL
BOS*
DCA
MCO
MIA*
PBI
RDU
YYZ

if anything I imagine this new regime will cut the enhanced service not add to it, hence why many of us from AA are bitter about merging with US especially with these clowns running the show.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL

The seats are standard domestic (except MIA has 777 and 763) but the following receive enhanced catering (three entree choices, menu cards), international flagship pillows and duvet and (*) Samsung Tablets
The full list:

LAX-
BDL
BOS*
DCA
MCO
MIA*
PBI
RDU
YYZ

if anything I imagine this new regime will cut the enhanced service not add to it, hence why many of us from AA are bitter about merging with US especially with these clowns running the show.
You missed one:

SAN-MIA
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent

The full list:

LAX-
BDL
BOS*
DCA
MCO
MIA*
PBI
RDU
YYZ

I fly LAX-RDU several times a month and they do have the enhanced catering I have never been offered a tablet.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
As AA has recently added a third menu choice to all transcons, added a sorbet dessert to breakfast flights, as well as a full snack basket selection, I kind of doubt AA/US will cut transcon service deeply. I would suspect that current US transcons be upgraded to current AA regular transcon standards, and that JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX will remain flagship/elevated, but all normal transcons will still receive special treatment. Of course, we may see a few small marginal cuts to the transcon service (an example that springs to mind is everything being served at once on regular transcons, maybe smaller plates, but still receiving sundae service), but I could be wrong, as well.

I doubt CLT/PHL-SFO/LAX will receive flagship service akin to JFK-LAX/SFO, though.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
The soft product, yes. But not the hard product. Which was asked in the OP. I would be totally shocked if an international bird flew CLT-LAX/SFO; let alone a 32B. SAN-JFK gets the same service in F that LAX-JFK does in J.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:01 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

Exactly. AFS is about more than just a few extra meal choices. Adding an AFS check in and dedicated lounges in CLT or PHL isn't likely to happen unless those markets get a lot of premium flyers who will pay those fares. If that kind of market existed in those cities, then US could have easily created a similar service. There was a time that US flew 767's with Envoy seating to LAX. Those seats still seemed to go to the upgrades as opposed to full F fare sales....
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:25 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I am sure that LAX-PHL/CLT and SFO-PHL/CLT will eventually receive enhanced transcontinental service. I can't imagine why they wouldn't add them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.