Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth using miles to fly US 757 in C before brand gone?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Worth using miles to fly US 757 in C before brand gone?

I need to fly back from Europe this summer. Having not flown US internationally in the past ten years, I want to fly them before they fully disappear.

It would be great if an A332 were available across the pond, but all I can find is a 757.

I can also use the miles for a BA 777. But I can fly BA anytime.

Not interested in other one world carriers.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zrs70
I need to fly back from Europe this summer. Having not flown US internationally in the past ten years, I want to fly them before they fully disappear.

It would be great if an A332 were available across the pond, but all I can find is a 757.

I can also use the miles for a BA 777. But I can fly BA anytime.

Not interested in other one world carriers.

Thanks in advance!
The A332 is available for MAN-PHL route, would that be any use for you? I'm booked to fly on it in 3 weeks time.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
The US 757 in C is a pretty rugged ride. The interior is long in the tooth, and while it still beats Y, it's not my idea of a fun weekend trip just for the sake of flying. Take BA to PHL and connect to anywhere on an E170/175/190 on US if you really want to fly the brand. The big Embraers are modern and comfy interiors, both Y and F, and while it's not the same as the A330, honestly it's all-around better than the 757 in J.

Or as other mention A330 MAN-PHL, can also fly from LHR.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I think you'll find the 757 is novel in C class configuration, but not that comfortable - at least I didnt find the old A333 to be that comfortable.

The new A332 product is infinitely more comfortable. I'm taking it down to SJU this weekend and looking forward to it. And may be taking the C class 752 back from SJU depending on loads.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: None
The US A330's all have the same business class hard product now, so look for a European city with A330 service to the USA. I think about half the European destinations use the A330 so hopefully one will be reasonably close to your destination. You could use a OW carrier, take the train or one of the discount carriers to travel to the city with A330 service - you could even make a quasi-stopover out of it.

Jim
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
The old 757 C is great for a transcon, but I certainly wouldn't make an effort to take it internationally for the reasons others stated. I'd look at alternative airports or perhaps a partner flight.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The 757s are pretty long in the tooth and it is a bit like stepping back in time.

However, the OP is flying back from Europe. Likely a daytime flight where a lie-flat bed isn't a dealbreaker.

Old school recliner, tablets. Will do the trick for nostaglia. I just wouldn't recommend it for the other direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.