Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Upgrades -- everyone pays (eff. 23 April 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: free agent
I didn't get an email for these announcements at all.

I've had plenty of share miles offers, Groupon mile stuff, ^ emails (a good thing) and other clutter from USAirways this week, so their outbound email server connection to me is alive and well. But nothing regarding these program changes.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by ACA321
US/AA no longer has to be as competitive. This is what Parker had wanted all along, and what the DOJ had cited as a major concern for consumers (in all cabins) should the merger be approved. I really do hope to be proven wrong.
This is the nub of it. Folks on this board who imagined that all would be made well when us slobs who fly US learned what a real F meal should be, especially on a comparatively short flight; or who jones for this new route or that; or who looked at the best aspect of each FF program and thought that the aspirations of management to run a world-class airline would necessarily lead them in that direction ... Well, these folks can be excused for having slept through Economics 101. After all, for most of us, this is not our day job. The DoJ should have known better, however.

Like you, I will be happy, happy, happy to eat these words.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
This is the nub of it. Folks on this board who imagined that all would be made well when us slobs who fly US learned what a real F meal should be, especially on a comparatively short flight; or who jones for this new route or that; or who looked at the best aspect of each FF program and thought that the aspirations of management to run a world-class airline would necessarily lead them in that direction ... Well, these folks can be excused for having slept through Economics 101. After all, for most of us, this is not our day job. The DoJ should have known better, however.

Like you, I will be happy, happy, happy to eat these words.
Well, Dougie had a choice, with both economic advantages and disadvantages. He could either choose to join the race to the bottom or improve the product. He also had a chance to keep skeptical flyers by making it worth their time to be loyal to a particular airline.

While some improvements have been made, and some negative changes made recently, it's unclear which course he's going to take. However, he's also sitting at a fork in the road. If they gut AAdvantage, I think it's going to be the final nail in the coffin for most airline loyalty. With both AA/US and DL improving and if both have crappy FFPs, it's going to make loyalty a thing of the past. Instead choices will be based on price and schedule, not so much on perks. Thus any additional "premium" revenue that a pax may have paid out of loyalty to an airline can go up in a poof of smoke.

Is that the right strategy? I don't know. But I do know that continued negative changes will send me to be a kayaker and buying the services I want/need when I want them.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Gator
I fly a lot between CLT and BOS. Points AND $50 to upgrade? Jet Blue gives you leg room and entertainment - and it's cheaper. The FAs are pleasant too.
As a Plat are you not getting a good complimentary upgrade % on that route? I doubt I'd ever consider using miles for that short of a flight. Transcons yes, but not short East Coast runs.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Superguy
While some improvements have been made, and some negative changes made recently, it's unclear which course he's going to take. However, he's also sitting at a fork in the road. If they gut AAdvantage, I think it's going to be the final nail in the coffin for most airline loyalty. With both AA/US and DL improving and if both have crappy FFPs, it's going to make loyalty a thing of the past. Instead choices will be based on price and schedule, not so much on perks. Thus any additional "premium" revenue that a pax may have paid out of loyalty to an airline can go up in a poof of smoke.
I think that the more oligopolic and less competitive the situation gets, the more the definition of premium revenue born out of loyalty narrows. My "premium" to US has been in flying more than I would have absent a suite of now-narrowing benefits, hence filling more seats. With less competition, in an industry with a hard-core with inelastic demand, the temptation to shrink capacity is enormous. Hence less need for "loyal" FFers like yours truly. (And another reason I think the ever-expanding-routes dreamers are, well, dreamers. My prediction is that any of us US folks who hold out with AA will be seeing more of DFW and ORD than the dreamers imagine.)
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: US CP
I'm fairly happy about this change. I've never used miles for an upgrade instead of international travel. (tempted but never pulled the trigger) Hopefully this improves comp upgrades. It's a bummer when most of the F cabin is full before we get to the week window for CP.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Couple Points

(1) for close-in bookings, the fare difference between coach and FC is sometimes less than the fee. Here's an example: PHL-LAS one-way Friday April 11, US #689. At the time I write this coach is $571, FC $671. Under the new rule, upgrading this 2176 mile flight is now a $150 fee + 10K miles. Do the math. No brainer, pay for FC, collect the miles.

(2) The downside of (1) is the airlines selling more FC seats and fewer complimentary upgrades available. First Class Monetization (FCM). This is what happened / is happening on a big scale at Delta. Even as a DM at Delta I was getting only about 50% upgrades. Dropping to Delta PM, upgrades are now non-existent.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I think one of the big areas of pain here is for CP flying to Hawaii. I just made CP today and had been waiting to upgrade the flights so I could avoid the fee. Hopefully some availability will open up prior to 4/23.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by omegadeal
I think one of the big areas of pain here is for CP flying to Hawaii. I just made CP today and had been waiting to upgrade the flights so I could avoid the fee. Hopefully some availability will open up prior to 4/23.
You can always use your CP certs for that upgrade.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Heels05
I'm fairly happy about this change. I've never used miles for an upgrade instead of international travel. (tempted but never pulled the trigger) Hopefully this improves comp upgrades. It's a bummer when most of the F cabin is full before we get to the week window for CP.
+1 same boat!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Heels05
You can always use your CP certs for that upgrade.

CP certs can only be used starting at 7 days out. To me that isn't a good option, as I want to know ahead of time that I have the upgrade. Perhaps this will change with the combining of the programs?

I have a question for those on here. It seems that no one is talking about writing in, fighting this at all. To me, I think this goes way too far. At least a couple of levels (CP and Plat, perhaps) shouldn't have to pay for this. If enough people write/call about this, think they might change their plans?

I go to Hawaii every year and use miles to upgrade. An extra $300 to sit in those crappy seats, on top of 30,000 miles ticks me off.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Mileage Upgrades -- everyone pays (eff. 23 April)

Write in all you want, it won't help.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
CP certs can only be used starting at 7 days out.
They can be used at any time based on availability - same as miles.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
JenniferNAz is correct ... CP certs can only be used within 7 days of the Hawaii trip. For Europe there is no 7 day restriction.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Fee for mileage upgrade - for Chairman??

I fly to Las from the East Coast regularly - and a Chairman. I cannot believe the downgrade I just read about - it will cost me $150 plus miles to upgrade the long leg of my flight - each way - and another $25 for the short leg as there are no direct flights. That adds $350 for a domestic RT upgrade plus the miles - for the highest level of the dividend miles program. I have been a supporter and loyal - but now with the lack of a Las Vegas club ( closed their own a few years ago - and the United club access is now gone) - it just seems like it is getting harder to share the love.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.