Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yeah, the disappearance of the companion pass is pretty much the disappearance of this card from my wallet.

Perhaps that is AA's long-term intent.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I am not currently a US Barclay cardholder and, recently, received an emial solicitation. It explicitly did NOT mention the one free bag on US. It seems that the free bag might be going away as well.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:00 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by formeraa
I am not currently a US Barclay cardholder and, recently, received an emial solicitation. It explicitly did NOT mention the one free bag on US. It seems that the free bag might be going away as well.
The free bag is a NEW benefit that just started about two weeks or so ago.

As time goes on, I suspect we'll see the benefits of the Barclays card become aligned with the Citi AA cards.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by pinniped
Yeah, the disappearance of the companion pass is pretty much the disappearance of this card from my wallet.

Drifting off-topic....but, since folks are talking about it....

I'm wondering how wise it is to simply discard a long-held credit card....What is the effect on your credit score when a 10-year or 15-year line of credit is terminated?
Old May 14, 2014, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer

I'm wondering how wise it is to simply discard a long-held credit card....What is the effect on your credit score when a 10-year or 15-year line of credit is terminated?
Maybe a point or two? I don't believe that dropping one card would be that big of a hit.

The US card I have is actually right near my average age for my accounts. It represents about 5% of my total revolving credit limit.

Of course, it could take me a couple years to cancel the card, depending on how aggressive Barclay's is with "recovery" teaser offers when customers try to cancel.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
You could probably also convert it to a different Barclays card with no fee.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

It depends upon how many other cards you have, how long they have been open, and the total amount of your credit lines. If your US MC makes up a signification percentage of your total credit limit, I would open up one other card before you shut down your US card -- as long as you do not plan on taking out a loan in the next year.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped

Just received a postal mailing concerning our two Barclay's cards:

"Exclusive benefits": Earn miles for purchases; Zone2 Boarding on US; 5000 fewer miles needed for award travel on US; First domestic bag free on US.

"Discontinued Benefits in 2015": Companion Cert; 10k PQM; 1Day Club pass; First class check in

"Exciting new benefits": 10% of your miles back upon redemption for award travel; 25% off inflight purchases; $100 flight discount if you spend $30k/yr; one way award travel

This is a major disappointment for me. Barclay will likely lose two CC customers and US will lose two (almost) exclusive US metal customers.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by maniakman

"Exclusive benefits": Earn miles for purchases; Zone2 Boarding on US; 5000 fewer miles needed for award travel on US; First domestic bag free on US.

"Discontinued Benefits in 2015": Companion Cert; 10k PQM; 1Day Club pass; First class check in

"Exciting new benefits": 10% of your miles back upon redemption for award travel; 25% off inflight purchases; $100 flight discount if you spend $30k/yr; one way award travel

This is a major disappointment for me. Barclay will likely lose two CC customers and US will lose two (almost) exclusive US metal customers.
I haven't received this yet, but if true, I don't see any point to keeping this card for $89/year. The "exclusive" benefits are completely worthless to me as a preferred member. The miles discount are worthless since it'll probably only be good on US/AA metal. And a $100 flight discount is pointless if I'm already paying $89 for the card when I can get basically any other card out there with better benefits.

So, if true, 2 customers lost at my household for Barclay's.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: US - Gold Preferred, leisuring and MRing for status :-)
Originally Posted by maniakman

My partner received this today for his card and this makes our cards nearly worthless. $30K spending and only a $100 discount? That's bogus. The companion certs were what really made the card for me, and the 5K mile discount. Now we lose that, too? Why even keep the card? I've been exclusively a US customer domestically for 6-7 years. Looks like I'll have to play the field now and ditch my loyalty. Not just for these reasons, but for so many others, too, like mileage upgrade fees, etc.
Old May 16, 2014, 4:57 am

I noticed they did not do the credit card pitch on yesterday's MIA-PHL flight.
Old May 16, 2014, 5:57 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Wow, so this basically aligns the benefits with the Citi AA offerings.

I wonder what is going to happen to the 10,000 mi anniversary bonus for those that have a card with that offer?
Old May 16, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by wfdude
My partner received this today for his card and this makes our cards nearly worthless. $30K spending and only a $100 discount? That's bogus. The companion certs were what really made the card for me, and the 5K mile discount. Now we lose that, too? Why even keep the card? I've been exclusively a US customer domestically for 6-7 years. Looks like I'll have to play the field now and ditch my loyalty. Not just for these reasons, but for so many others, too, like mileage upgrade fees, etc.
They are obviously trimming the fat with everything. They don't care if they lose customers, they are now the largest airline in the US, now they can do what they want.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:34 am

Wonder how Barclays is going to like the hit its going to take on this one.

My spend last year was $77,000. So, I figure 2% in transaction fees from their merchants plus two annual fees.

$1700 in revenue from me alone.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
It's not like it's Barclay's choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.