Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:52 am

If I close the card after my 10k miles post this month, how long should I wait to reapply to snag another 40k bonus?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninamarie89
If I close the card after my 10k miles post this month, how long should I wait to reapply to snag another 40k bonus?
Until the card is no longer offered.

In other words, especially with the AA/US mileage combination just announced for second quarter of 2015, it's quite possible that this card will no longer be available for new applications in 6+ months, and you may need to wait that long.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I got this e-mail from US Airways:

"In the second quarter of 2015, we'll reach the next milestone on our path to integration by bringing the Dividend Miles program into the AAdvantage loyalty program..."

Does this mean that the current US Airways partner award chart is valid up to at least March 2015?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by hightide
I got this e-mail from US Airways:

"In the second quarter of 2015, we'll reach the next milestone on our path to integration by bringing the Dividend Miles program into the AAdvantage loyalty program..."

Does this mean that the current US Airways partner award chart is valid up to at least March 2015?
I would read that as there will be a us airways chart until then. They may or may not change it between now and then.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:03 pm

Not all cards allowed the 10,000 anniversary miles and hope nobody
confuses anniversary miles with 10,000 toward Preferred, which they
are definitely not.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Passport Platinum, IHG Platinum and Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But many of the benefits will be duplicates. So if you get both the US card from Barclays and the AA card from Citi (which you may not have to "really" pay an annual fee on for several years), most of the Barclays US card benefits will already be covered by the (cheaper, because of waived/credited AFs) Citi AA card, and therefore all you may really be getting for the $89 is 10k a year and not much else (extra over the Citi AA card). While with the Citi AA card you have historically been able to get 50k once every 1.5 or 2 years with no AF. So how is $89 for an extra 10k a year that great a deal comparatively?
I understand what you are saying. Next year the cards will have the same features. The main difference is that the Barclay card will give me 10,000 bonus miles per year, which is worth more than the $89 annual fee. I do not keep annual fee cards beyond the first year unless I receive something (e.g., 10,000 annual bonus miles, free night at a Hyatt etc.) that has value in excess of the annual fee. I can apply for the Citi card, obtain the sign-up bonus and cancel after a year without paying any annual fee. After that I can re-apply for the another Citi card in 24 months for a new sign-up bonus. Because I am keeping the Barclay card, I would not keep the Citi card after the first year, even for a waived annual fee retention offer.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
All these years I have tuned out the FA's CC pitch, but is it the most incentiveized way to get the card? (i.e. Does it give more bonus miles than the online offers?) I can't believe I actually might have to listen next time...
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, National EC Exec
So, after reading this thread, I went to see how close I was to $25k spending for the 10k EQM. Turns out I am a lot closer than I thought and with the holidays coming up I should be able to get to $25k and be able to maintain my status with the 10k EQM.

But, I found this on Barclay's site:

How do I receive the Preferred-qualifying miles and Award Processing Fee Waiver?
When a Cardmember spends at least $25,000 or more in new Net Purchases (which are not later credited back or rescinded) ("Purchase Requirement") in 2014, a total of 10,000 of those miles will be converted from base miles to Preferred-qualifying Miles 4 to 8 weeks after the Purchase Requirement has been met.

My question is will you get the 10k miles converted before the end of the year no matter what or is there a possibility they won't be converted until after and thus stiffing me from my status? Seems very scary to rely on a 4-8 week window of time for conversion.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by ftgee
So, after reading this thread, I went to see how close I was to $25k spending for the 10k EQM. Turns out I am a lot closer than I thought and with the holidays coming up I should be able to get to $25k and be able to maintain my status with the 10k EQM.

But, I found this on Barclay's site:

How do I receive the Preferred-qualifying miles and Award Processing Fee Waiver?
When a Cardmember spends at least $25,000 or more in new Net Purchases (which are not later credited back or rescinded) ("Purchase Requirement") in 2014, a total of 10,000 of those miles will be converted from base miles to Preferred-qualifying Miles 4 to 8 weeks after the Purchase Requirement has been met.

My question is will you get the 10k miles converted before the end of the year no matter what or is there a possibility they won't be converted until after and thus stiffing me from my status? Seems very scary to rely on a 4-8 week window of time for conversion.
I think there is at least one data point around this somewhere in a thread, but I know as soon as my statement cut a few days later it always changed the 10k to PQM. I am not sure if it happens in January what would happen.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I can't remember specifics but mine was pretty quick to post.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Just hauling whatever to get $25K through on my wife's card and was thinking about this ... checking back on my card, it looks like it happens at the same point in the month when RDMs are posted to USAirways account.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I think there is at least one data point around this somewhere in a thread, but I know as soon as my statement cut a few days later it always changed the 10k to PQM. I am not sure if it happens in January what would happen.
One of the reasons why the status year runs 3/1 to 2/28 is to cover things like this that run in the calendar year, but may take longer to process.
I've been told (it hasn't yet happened to me), that if your 10k point conversion happens in January (but for the prior year spend), it gets added in retroactively.

The same thing could happen for flights that didn't credit and you need to send in boarding passes.

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Just hauling whatever to get $25K through on my wife's card and was thinking about this ... checking back on my card, it looks like it happens at the same point in the month when RDMs are posted to USAirways account.
In my experiences, the normal monthly miles posted to my US account, then the same day (or next day), I had the 10k mile conversion.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, National EC Exec
Originally Posted by aztimm
One of the reasons why the status year runs 3/1 to 2/28 is to cover things like this that run in the calendar year, but may take longer to process.
US says you have to earn EQMs during the calendar year, not the program year. Can someone confirm this? I know this is trailing off-topic, but I am traveling to SYD on AA and QF before the new year and am coming back after. I am at least relying on the trip out for my status, but if the trip back counts and I have until 2/28 to earn, then Gold will be within reach for me.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by ftgee
US says you have to earn EQMs during the calendar year, not the program year. Can someone confirm this? I know this is trailing off-topic, but I am traveling to SYD on AA and QF before the new year and am coming back after. I am at least relying on the trip out for my status, but if the trip back counts and I have until 2/28 to earn, then Gold will be within reach for me.
The flight counts for the year you took off in. Your return flight will count towards next years status.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd love to have this card that gives the 10,000 annual bonus moving forward. Does anyone know if I can apply for this card and receive the 40k bonus while currently holding the same card (without the 10k annual bonus) opened 7 months ago?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.