Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US Airways Award Bookings Using BA Avios, as low as 4,500 Avios one way

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
With US joining OneWorld in early 2014, British Airways' mileage currency (Avios) offer a potentially advantageous option for redeeming for award tickets, especially on shorter flights.

What are the relevant characteristics/rules for redeeming Avios?
  • Avios is charged per individual flight segment. The cost for a single connecting itinerary AAA-BBB-CCC is the same as the cost of two separate tickets for travel AAA-BBB & BBB-CCC.
  • Avios uses a distance-based chart. (See below.)
  • First-class travel costs 3x as many Avios as coach. Unfortunately, this generally makes domestic F redemption unattractive with Avios. In general, US front-cabin seats are treated as first-class for purposes of Avios redemption.
    • Effective April 28, 2015, first-class awards will cost 4x the coach award price.
  • Business class travel costs 2x Avios. Some North American airlines consider the front cabin to be business for Mexico and Central America routes.
    • Effective April 28, 2015, business-class awards for segments >2000 miles long will cost 3x the coach award price.
  • You can redeem one-way awards with Avios.
  • Avios is region-agnostic. (That is, a given distance costs the same regardless of whether it traverses one or more world regions.) Thus, Avios can provide great value when flying to Hawaii for those who fly coach and can do so in one segment.
  • There is no ticketing fee for online booking. If you call instead of booking online, there is a $25 ticketing fee. (Some people have success in getting this fee waived when an itinerary cannot be booked online, making a phone call unavoidable.)
  • There is no close-in ticketing fee.
  • BA charges $55 to cancel or change a ticket. However, if you cancel online, your cost is capped at the amount of taxes/TSA fees paid; for domestic itineraries on US, this will normally be much less than $55. (This workaround does not apply to changing a ticket online, which will incur the full $55 fee.) You must cancel one day in advance to get the Avios redeposited.
What are the mileage bands in the Avios award chart?
  • 1-650 mile flight: 4,500 Avios
  • 651-1151 mile flight: 7,500 Avios
  • 1152-2000 mile flight: 10,000 Avios
  • 2001-3000 mile flight: 12,500 Avios

The full chart for redemptions until April 28, 2015 can be found here. Starting April 28, 2015, a new chart will apply.

One enterprising blogger has created interactive maps showing potential destinations reachable on US in each of the mileage bands from DCA, PHL, CLT, and PHX.
What's an example of Avios being better than booking an award on US using Dividend Miles?
Consider the cost to fly from San Diego to Phoenix, a route under 400 miles. US charges 25K miles R/T, plus $38 (includes $25 ticketing fee), plus a $75 close-in fee for any booking within 14 days of departure. BA will charge 9,000 Avios R/T plus the TSA security fee.

If you live in a gateway city and can fly to Hawaii nonstop, investigate whether booking with Avios is more attractive. Example:
PHX-HNL is 2917 miles. A R/T with Avios is 25K miles (12,500 each way). A R/T with US is 40K miles.
What's the process for redeeming Avios?
Go to the Avios award search page; log in; and enter your desired itinerary.
Great! That sounds easy! What's the catch?
Unfortunately, there are several practical restrictions on redeeming Avios for domestic travel on US, especially when attempting to book online.
  • Most importantly, US "low/saver" awards must be available. (You can confirm award availability at the lowest level by searching on the US site directly or by using a third-party service such as Expert Flyer.)
  • The BA search tool cannot generate partner itineraries that include more than one connection. (You can still book each segment as an individual ticket, although doing so will create problems if you wish to check luggage all the way through and/or if you miss a connection owing to flight delays.)
  • Even where US has low-level award availability, the Avios search tool will often fail to display it. This is especially true on routes with numerous flights in a single day (such as the DCA-LGA, LGA-BOS & DCA-BOS shuttles), but occurs regularly on numerous routes. There is no workaround except calling BA reservations.
    • Recommendation: Always search for one-way awards. The BA search tool is known to display no availability in either direction on round-trip searches when awards are in fact available in one direction but not the other.
  • The BA search engine will accept metropolitan area pseudo-codes (WAS, LON, PAR, NYC, etc.) as well as individual airport codes. For better results, try both (e.g., DCA, BWI & IAD as well as WAS).
OK, I managed to make an award booking despite all these pitfalls. How do I get my US FF# into the reservation in order to enjoy my US elite benefits?
The American Airlines Twitter team (@AmericanAir) can modify a reservation to enter your US or AA FF#.

Several FTers also report success using the Finnair website ("Choose manage booking and put in your BA confirmation code"). However, this method allows the FF# on a given itinerary to be changed only once; it will not allow subsequent changes.
I want to change my seat but the BA site never gave me a US record locator. What's the solution?
Look up your reservation on the US site using the BA record locator.
How can I accumulate Avios?
  • Fly British Airways.
  • Credit OneWorld flights to British Airways.
  • Open a Chase British Airways credit card, ideally with a generous sign up bonus.
  • Move Chase Ultimate Reward points (CSP, Ink Plus, Ink Bold) to your BA account.
  • Move AMEX Membership Rewards points to your BA account, preferably during the 2-3 times a year when a bonus is offered.
  • Move SPG points to your BA account. 20K SPG points yields 25K BA Avios, and bonuses have been offered once a year.
  • Form a household account (see BA forum for discussion) so that miles can be pooled.
Credit: Much of this wiki is based on post #1 by SanDiego1K.
Print Wikipost

US Airways Award Bookings Using BA Avios, as low as 4,500 Avios one way

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:25 pm

Hi I am about to make a booking using avois on us airways. The best way to do this trip is to do 2 seperate one way tickets and make my own connection through PHL.

The first leg is in economy. The second is in Business. After I book can I call US Airways and have them "connect" the itenerary so my bags will connect through? Also, I hoping for the baggage allowance given for business class on the first leg in economy.

Is this possible? Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by be001
The first leg is in economy. The second is in Business. After I book can I call US Airways and have them "connect" the itenerary so my bags will connect through? Also, I hoping for the baggage allowance given for business class on the first leg in economy.

Is this possible?
No, they can not 'connect' tickets. You can request at the check-in that baggage will be through checked.

Mind, if you travel on two separate tickets, you're not covered in case of misconnection etc.

Better book whole routing on one ticket, even if you need to call in to make the booking.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
No, they can not 'connect' tickets. You can request at the check-in that baggage will be through checked.

Mind, if you travel on two separate tickets, you're not covered in case of misconnection etc.

Better book whole routing on one ticket, even if you need to call in to make the booking.
ok thanks ill call instead
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M

Even if it is the same metal?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Even if it is the same metal?
So seen yes... two different contracts, one for transporation from A to B and the other from B to C... And you know how airline reps can be... 'Foreign' Ticket from BA and they tell you to contact BA for the changes, etc, etc, etc...

Also mind schedule changes before departures... easier on one ticket than on two differents...

Of course they could/will help in such a case, but i personally would prefer to be on the safer side!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold

I wonder which policy will prevail during the merger? The AA protection on OW or the US SOL policy on IROPS.

On AA, I use the separate tickets feature often on routes like ATL-MIA-SXM. ATL-MIA may only have F seats while MIA-SXM may only have Y. Buy individually to get desired flights. I have never had an issue checking bags all the way through or with IROPS.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
I wonder which policy will prevail during the merger? The AA protection on OW or the US SOL policy on IROPS.

On AA, I use the separate tickets feature often on routes like ATL-MIA-SXM. ATL-MIA may only have F seats while MIA-SXM may only have Y. Buy individually to get desired flights. I have never had an issue checking bags all the way through or with IROPS.
My guess is you are comparing apple with orange if your examples are on AA issued 001 tickets flying AA metals. That is a no brainer that AA would protect you in IRROP.

However what has been discussed is flying 2 BA tickets on US metals.

Any ticket change would have to come from BA, that would be the same case if the travel on AA metals is ticketed on BA (or AS or any other airline than AA itself.)

The operating airline could not change the ticket or for that matter change your flights without the ticket being changed to reflect that, else the operating airline does not get paid! Have you heard about the concept of Flight Coupon? The flight coupon must match with the actual flight in order for airline gets paid by the ticket issuing airline. In this case being discussed, it is BA.

Yes, you would need to contact BA on flight changes, US (or AA) would not help you in this regard if preceding ticket has schedule change causing a misconnect on the following ticket.

As for baggage check thru, there should not be issue. It is whether you would be protected when there is IRROP - currently AA would protect you even the ticket is issued by OW member, but the ticket still needs to be reissued by the issuing airline. US does not seem to have the "protection" policy in place.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by Happy
My guess is you are comparing apple with orange if your examples are on AA issued 001 tickets flying AA metals. That is a no brainer that AA would protect you in IRROP.

However what has been discussed is flying 2 BA tickets on US metals.

Any ticket change would have to come from BA, that would be the same case if the travel on AA metals is ticketed on BA (or AS or any other airline than AA itself.)

The operating airline could not change the ticket or for that matter change your flights without the ticket being changed to reflect that, else the operating airline does not get paid! Have you heard about the concept of Flight Coupon? The flight coupon must match with the actual flight in order for airline gets paid by the ticket issuing airline. In this case being discussed, it is BA.

Yes, you would need to contact BA on flight changes, US (or AA) would not help you in this regard if preceding ticket has schedule change causing a misconnect on the following ticket.

As for baggage check thru, there should not be issue. It is whether you would be protected when there is IRROP - currently AA would protect you even the ticket is issued by OW member, but the ticket still needs to be reissued by the issuing airline. US does not seem to have the "protection" policy in place.
I have had AA change the flights on a 125 ticket because of a schedule change. It was not easy, but AA was able to change to a better schedule. Most recent was SAN-ORD-ATL , SAN-ORD was cancelled 3 months prior to flight. I was changed to SAN-DFW-ATL by AA with no additional Avios collected. No OLCI or kiosk check-in was available and it took many keystrokes by the TA to complete check-in and print boarding pass.

My previous comment was expressing my desire for US to adopt the AA IROPS policy.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I have (on numerous occasions) flown 125-plated awards on AA metal where the flight I got on was not the flight that was ticketed by BA. As the operating airline, AA may not be able to change the ticket, but they can certainly put you on whatever plane they want the day of the flight.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had AA change the flights on a 125 ticket because of a schedule change. It was not easy, but AA was able to change to a better schedule. Most recent was SAN-ORD-ATL , SAN-ORD was cancelled 3 months prior to flight. I was changed to SAN-DFW-ATL by AA with no additional Avios collected. No OLCI or kiosk check-in was available and it took many keystrokes by the TA to complete check-in and print boarding pass.

My previous comment was expressing my desire for US to adopt the AA IROPS policy.
I was able to change DFW-SJC to SFO.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did AA simply rebook your itinerary without having BA to reissue ticket? Like your reservation on AA website has been modified by AA but the BA ticket remained the original and the airport agent just did whatever it needed to get you on the flight?

Originally Posted by linglingfool
I have (on numerous occasions) flown 125-plated awards on AA metal where the flight I got on was not the flight that was ticketed by BA. As the operating airline, AA may not be able to change the ticket, but they can certainly put you on whatever plane they want the day of the flight.
I am glad to be proven wrong in the BA/AA case. Now we know that AA does give the protection on IRROP if tickets are for travel on OneWorld partners.

Now who would be the Guinea Pig to test US in this area and report back?

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I was able to change DFW-SJC to SFO.
Was yours an IRROP or a voluntary change at the airport?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was yours an IRROP or a voluntary change at the airport?
IRROP.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:57 pm

Did AA simply rebook your itinerary without having BA to reissue ticket? Like your reservation on AA website has been modified by AA but the BA ticket remained the original and the airport agent just did whatever it needed to get you on the flight?

That is probably what happened. I never checked the full details, but the flights showed up on aa.com and I was able to do seat selection. It took the TA a long time to print boarding passes. We had started the trip in OGG and arrived in SAN on AS with bags checked through.

More details- after 3 months + early cancellation- BA re-booked on a much later 4+ hours connection SAN-ORD-ATL. BA was unwilling to do anything with the original re-booked flights. Calling AA, they booked us on the SAN-DFW-ATL connection leaving at nearly the same time as the original flight.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:51 pm

Can BA only book open flights in saver level when you check these flights on US or AA?

If they have a higher level award available, will BA be able to book you using more avois?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by be001
Can BA only book open flights in saver level when you check these flights on US or AA?

If they have a higher level award available, will BA be able to book you using more avois?
I believe it's just saver awards for partner airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.