Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US Airways Award Bookings Using BA Avios, as low as 4,500 Avios one way

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
With US joining OneWorld in early 2014, British Airways' mileage currency (Avios) offer a potentially advantageous option for redeeming for award tickets, especially on shorter flights.

What are the relevant characteristics/rules for redeeming Avios?
  • Avios is charged per individual flight segment. The cost for a single connecting itinerary AAA-BBB-CCC is the same as the cost of two separate tickets for travel AAA-BBB & BBB-CCC.
  • Avios uses a distance-based chart. (See below.)
  • First-class travel costs 3x as many Avios as coach. Unfortunately, this generally makes domestic F redemption unattractive with Avios. In general, US front-cabin seats are treated as first-class for purposes of Avios redemption.
    • Effective April 28, 2015, first-class awards will cost 4x the coach award price.
  • Business class travel costs 2x Avios. Some North American airlines consider the front cabin to be business for Mexico and Central America routes.
    • Effective April 28, 2015, business-class awards for segments >2000 miles long will cost 3x the coach award price.
  • You can redeem one-way awards with Avios.
  • Avios is region-agnostic. (That is, a given distance costs the same regardless of whether it traverses one or more world regions.) Thus, Avios can provide great value when flying to Hawaii for those who fly coach and can do so in one segment.
  • There is no ticketing fee for online booking. If you call instead of booking online, there is a $25 ticketing fee. (Some people have success in getting this fee waived when an itinerary cannot be booked online, making a phone call unavoidable.)
  • There is no close-in ticketing fee.
  • BA charges $55 to cancel or change a ticket. However, if you cancel online, your cost is capped at the amount of taxes/TSA fees paid; for domestic itineraries on US, this will normally be much less than $55. (This workaround does not apply to changing a ticket online, which will incur the full $55 fee.) You must cancel one day in advance to get the Avios redeposited.
What are the mileage bands in the Avios award chart?
  • 1-650 mile flight: 4,500 Avios
  • 651-1151 mile flight: 7,500 Avios
  • 1152-2000 mile flight: 10,000 Avios
  • 2001-3000 mile flight: 12,500 Avios

The full chart for redemptions until April 28, 2015 can be found here. Starting April 28, 2015, a new chart will apply.

One enterprising blogger has created interactive maps showing potential destinations reachable on US in each of the mileage bands from DCA, PHL, CLT, and PHX.
What's an example of Avios being better than booking an award on US using Dividend Miles?
Consider the cost to fly from San Diego to Phoenix, a route under 400 miles. US charges 25K miles R/T, plus $38 (includes $25 ticketing fee), plus a $75 close-in fee for any booking within 14 days of departure. BA will charge 9,000 Avios R/T plus the TSA security fee.

If you live in a gateway city and can fly to Hawaii nonstop, investigate whether booking with Avios is more attractive. Example:
PHX-HNL is 2917 miles. A R/T with Avios is 25K miles (12,500 each way). A R/T with US is 40K miles.
What's the process for redeeming Avios?
Go to the Avios award search page; log in; and enter your desired itinerary.
Great! That sounds easy! What's the catch?
Unfortunately, there are several practical restrictions on redeeming Avios for domestic travel on US, especially when attempting to book online.
  • Most importantly, US "low/saver" awards must be available. (You can confirm award availability at the lowest level by searching on the US site directly or by using a third-party service such as Expert Flyer.)
  • The BA search tool cannot generate partner itineraries that include more than one connection. (You can still book each segment as an individual ticket, although doing so will create problems if you wish to check luggage all the way through and/or if you miss a connection owing to flight delays.)
  • Even where US has low-level award availability, the Avios search tool will often fail to display it. This is especially true on routes with numerous flights in a single day (such as the DCA-LGA, LGA-BOS & DCA-BOS shuttles), but occurs regularly on numerous routes. There is no workaround except calling BA reservations.
    • Recommendation: Always search for one-way awards. The BA search tool is known to display no availability in either direction on round-trip searches when awards are in fact available in one direction but not the other.
  • The BA search engine will accept metropolitan area pseudo-codes (WAS, LON, PAR, NYC, etc.) as well as individual airport codes. For better results, try both (e.g., DCA, BWI & IAD as well as WAS).
OK, I managed to make an award booking despite all these pitfalls. How do I get my US FF# into the reservation in order to enjoy my US elite benefits?
The American Airlines Twitter team (@AmericanAir) can modify a reservation to enter your US or AA FF#.

Several FTers also report success using the Finnair website ("Choose manage booking and put in your BA confirmation code"). However, this method allows the FF# on a given itinerary to be changed only once; it will not allow subsequent changes.
I want to change my seat but the BA site never gave me a US record locator. What's the solution?
Look up your reservation on the US site using the BA record locator.
How can I accumulate Avios?
  • Fly British Airways.
  • Credit OneWorld flights to British Airways.
  • Open a Chase British Airways credit card, ideally with a generous sign up bonus.
  • Move Chase Ultimate Reward points (CSP, Ink Plus, Ink Bold) to your BA account.
  • Move AMEX Membership Rewards points to your BA account, preferably during the 2-3 times a year when a bonus is offered.
  • Move SPG points to your BA account. 20K SPG points yields 25K BA Avios, and bonuses have been offered once a year.
  • Form a household account (see BA forum for discussion) so that miles can be pooled.
Credit: Much of this wiki is based on post #1 by SanDiego1K.
Print Wikipost

US Airways Award Bookings Using BA Avios, as low as 4,500 Avios one way

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by United747
That would be a problem then! Do you have your US record locator? I think your best option would be to call at this point.
Indeed In the past, US has not been so kind as to change the FF# on a BA award ticket. I'll try again and report back, though. Worst case I think I can do it at OLCI so I'll get the free bags, but if I can get it done now I'd rather book the bulkhead. I'm flying an E175 and that bulkhead seat is the best domestic coach seat I've found.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Indeed In the past, US has not been so kind as to change the FF# on a BA award ticket. I'll try again and report back, though. Worst case I think I can do it at OLCI so I'll get the free bags, but if I can get it done now I'd rather book the bulkhead. I'm flying an E175 and that bulkhead seat is the best domestic coach seat I've found.
I know it's not the same, but I called yesterday and they were more than happy to add my known traveler number to my reservation. I'm really glad too, because I got pre check for tomorrow's flight!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read on one of the blogs that BA has started charging those sky-high fuel surcharges on US metal to Europe. If true, it's a shame for me because I was thinking of booking a 20K ow coach award to Europe from PHL for next summer (I was going to look to see if US had loaded any inventory).
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by iahphx
I read on one of the blogs that BA has started charging those sky-high fuel surcharges on US metal to Europe. If true, it's a shame for me because I was thinking of booking a 20K ow coach award to Europe from PHL for next summer (I was going to look to see if US had loaded any inventory).
Which one?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Which one?
gleff covered it last night, with links to DD and Lucky.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
gleff covered it last night, with links to DD and Lucky.
I just made a redemption for FRA-PHL on US a week or so ago without any YQ. Just in time.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just made a redemption for FRA-PHL on US a week or so ago without any YQ. Just in time.
Nice. And you actually found seats?

As I posted on Gary's blog, the apparent loss of US Airways transatlantic seats on Avios is more theoretical than practical because the inventory has traditionally been quite poor. Of course, the nice thing on Avios is that you could book one-way (which is likely all you'll find).
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Can't make USDM # stick on Avios award

had to book a quick trip to NYC, so I used Avios for my g/f and I (7.2 cents per point using AMEX MR, not too bad).

I'm Gold, she's Silver, i'd like to use our status for seats, boarding, and the off chance of an UG on the DCA-LGA shuttle. Yes, I know non-037 stock tix aren't eligible for upgrades on US metal, especially those in X fare class, but i've seen reports to the contrary when using Avios.

BA.com wont let me put in my gold #, which is the status I want to use for the higher chance of UG, and I'm hesitant to use her silver status in the reservation just b/c of the known issues w/ 2 preferred members.

Anyways, I called the gold desk to put my DM # on the res, and it worked for 24 hours, after which my # was removed. Called again, and had it added again; once again after 24 hours the # was removed.

I saw references in the Avios thread to modifying the reseration using either the RJ or QR websites, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Can anyone help?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:19 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
had to book a quick trip to NYC, so I used Avios for my g/f and I (7.2 cents per point using AMEX MR, not too bad).

I'm Gold, she's Silver, i'd like to use our status for seats, boarding, and the off chance of an UG on the DCA-LGA shuttle. Yes, I know non-037 stock tix aren't eligible for upgrades on US metal, especially those in X fare class, but i've seen reports to the contrary when using Avios.

BA.com wont let me put in my gold #, which is the status I want to use for the higher chance of UG, and I'm hesitant to use her silver status in the reservation just b/c of the known issues w/ 2 preferred members.

Anyways, I called the gold desk to put my DM # on the res, and it worked for 24 hours, after which my # was removed. Called again, and had it added again; once again after 24 hours the # was removed.

I saw references in the Avios thread to modifying the reseration using either the RJ or QR websites, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Can anyone help?
I've always used the FInnair website, which has worked. Choose manage booking and put in your BA confirmation code

FDW
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone help?
Try AB or QF and going forward remember to delete your BA# during the booking process.

Originally Posted by iahphx
Nice. And you actually found seats?
Yep, there were like 5 seats over both FRA-PHL flights.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Try AB or QF and going forward remember to delete your BA# during the booking process.
I guess there's no way to delete my BA # now? QF and AB wont let me do it; AY just errors out.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I guess there's no way to delete my BA # now? QF and AB wont let me do it; AY just errors out.
Have you tried RJ? Not sure if DM is a supported program on their site yet, but I was able to add an AA number to an Avios booking on US metal. More info back in post #64.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: FT
was looking to book flights YYZ-CLT and it was showing me 27000 each return? that can not be right.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by mkjr
was looking to book flights YYZ-CLT and it was showing me 27000 each return? that can not be right.
That's the price for a first-class ticket, not one in economy.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by linglingfool
That's the price for a first-class ticket, not one in economy.
thanks....did not notice it was in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.