Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: USDM oneworld Award Bookings - (Closed to new bookings) [Master FAQ and Help]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WIKI POST: Using US Dividend Miles for oneworld Award Flights
As further details become available, please fill in this wikipost.

N.B. Booking opportunities for new Dividend Miles awards of all kinds ended 11:59 PM Wednesday, 25 March 2015. Please continue using this thread for trips booked or in progress through 24 March 2016.

Changes on USDM oneworld award tickets

This is the only official statement about changing issued USDM award tickets:

If I need to make changes to a Dividend Miles award reservation, which program’s rules will apply?

Minor changes such as date/time can be made provided seats are available without requiring a new award to be claimed. More substantive changes such as changes to stopovers or origin/destination may result in the need to reinstate the previously claimed Dividend Miles award, then claiming a new AAdvantage award under the existing AAdvantage program rules.
To make a change on a USDM ticket, you need to get an agent that is trained to use the US reservation system.
The old membership rules do 'generally' still appy to USDM tickets.

For awards ticketed / reticketed on 001- ticket stock, go to the AA Refunds site with your ticket number at hand (unsure if it works with 037- stock at this time)to:
  • Print a receipt with ticket number (instead of Request a refund)
  • See total fees, taxes, etc. attached to your ticket
  • See applicable detailed fare rules
  • Request a refund (may not be useful for awards)
(Go here to print in flight purchase receipts)
Some experiences about changes to tickets, reported by members:
  • Some were able to change their ticket without beeing charged the USD 150.- changing fee.
  • No chance to change a ticket after the first flight segment has been flown.

Old stuff

oneworld member airlines - airberlin, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LAN, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines (Sibir), SriLankan Airlines, TAM Airlines, US Airways and their affiliates.

Award Chart for oneworld awards using US Dividend Miles:
http://shopping.usairways.com/en-US/...wardtravel.pdf

You can use the American Airlines, British Airways, JAL, or Qantas sites to search for oneworld award inventory. AA and QF also allows you to search for award inventory using a handy 30 day calendar view. However, availability on the calendar is dependent on site coverage (e.g. QF does not include JL or MH, AA does not include CX and others). Also, the calendar view may not be completely accurate on all partners, so use it as a guide but do not rely on it fully.

One of the easiest ways to search for oneworld availability is through the use of an outside tool such as Award Nexus, ExpertFlyer, KVS Tool, or The Wandering Aramean oneworld Search.

Award Nexus has a free community membership for flyertalk members, and award email alert with premium membership. ExpertFlyer has email alerts and direct GDS access to select oneworld award inventories, such as AA, QF, and US. ExpertFlyer can also search J class certificate upgrade inventory. With KVS Tool, you can search QF, BA, JL and CX's search engines, in addition to other alliances, on your PC (Mac / Linux with CrossOver). You can also set up an alert via The Wandering Aramean oneworld Search. This tool will automatically search on QF for your alert once per day with a free account and four times per day with a paid account.

N.B. With all of the above tools, it is best to search one segment at a time. Most oneworld search engines have difficulty marrying segments.

For route searching with itinerary information, use the interactive oneworld map and timetable.

For searching Intra-North America availability, the best tool is AA.com. Unlike the other oneworld engines, AA is pretty good at marrying segments, so you can search origin to destination.

Regarding availability, the strategy that has been most effective for people looking to book award travel on oneworld is to start searching right at 330 days prior to departure. This is generally when availability is at its best. After that, availability tends to be sporadic until starting 8 weeks prior to departure where some airlines open up availability, and will vary all the way up until the day of departure.

If you're having trouble finding availability, it may be best to look at alternate airports (JL, for example, serves SAN, YVR, and BOS, in addition to the larger markets of SFO, LAX, YYZ, ORD, and JFK).

(N.B. Although US was not adding fuel surcharges to awards, there are reports that they have started doing this for awards containing BA flights.) With the exception of BA & IB, no oneworld carriers require you to pay a fuel surcharge for awards. With BA, be aware that you may have to pay both a fuel surcharge as well as the UK Air Passenger Duty departure tax for intercontinental J and F flights out of UK. These fees vary with class of service and length of flight and are determined by BA; the Air Passenger Duty (see specific thread) is due for all UK departures not under 24 hour connecting flights. APD applies to coach tickets, too, but at a reduced rate. The fuel /YQ surcharge with IB is generally considered minimal.

Known Problems / Workaround:
  • Dep 00:00AM : Some agents have difficulty finding flights leaving between midnight and 2 AM. This is because the US systems show it leaving the day before. If the agent cannot find it, please ask to look at the day before. > source <
  • LA : Flights put on hold will be cancelled after 24h. Workaround: Issue the ticket immediately. > source <
  • JL : US Rep cannot find available seats. Workaround: "Always have to remind Rep to open JL reservations on a new screen". > source <
  • MH : US Rep cannot find awards in First Class. Workaround: First class needs to be booked in P-cl instead of Z-cl (as on most other OW carriers). > source < booking classes: > KVS <
  • All : If you are booking outbound flights at the US Air 335 day window US Air will often allow you to put your reservation on a longer than 3 day hold to capture the return seats once they open up at T+335. There is a report of this for 30 days here, and FT user beofotch was successful in getting a 13 day hold here. Workaround: Huaca until you get an agent who is competent enough to do this. It may help to act naive and ask for your return flight on your preferred date even if it is after T+335 days. Once they get an error from the computer may be a good time to bring it up.

Fixed Problems:
  • CX : US Rep cannot find seats on flight CX 645 HKG-DOH. Workaround: none so far, search for different routing/carrier (CMB/DXB/...?)... > source < > fixed <
    > fixed <
  • CX : US Rep cannot find seats on flight CX 640 DOH-HKG. They admit, the flight exists, but are unable to book <source>. Workaround: none so far, search for different routing/carrier
    > fixed <
  • BA/Comair : US rep could not see / or unable to book intra-South Africa flights in BA flight number operated by Comair despite AA treats Comair a full fledged oneworld member under BA, in the same context as KA under CX. Only one reported success booking - poster reported agent had trouble at first but on consulting a supervisor was told "where to look"; the agent did not give any further information. Most everyone else reported unable to book Comair flights.
    > fixed <
  • IB : Flights will be cancelled after ticket issued. Workaround: None yet... > source <
    > fixed <
Print Wikipost

LUS: USDM oneworld Award Bookings - (Closed to new bookings) [Master FAQ and Help]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
Firstly, BA does seem to be the only viable option into South Africa. And even then, we couldn't find flights to match my safari dates. So I'll have to go a few days early.

And there were no FC seats on my return leg from S. Africa to London.

And I'll have to pay $1000 in taxes. Wow!

Been saving my miles for 10+ years with this trip in mind. Wishing I had better options.
But it is still going to be a great trip and a great opportunity that few ever get, so be proud and have fun!!!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flozone76
Question..booked a oneworld award flight a few months ago through US for CLT-PHL-DOH-MLE, MLE-CMB-DOH-PHL-CLT return. All on QR. Question is the PHL to DOH leg schedule got changed by QR to where my layover now states less than 45 min making it illegal leg. However after doing lots of research, both the airport and QR site show flight status everyday as different and legal. Any help is much appreciated. PHL-DOH is 10:15 am - 6:50 am next day arrival, DOH-MLE is 7:15 am. Last 6 days flight has arrived with more than 45 mins. Will QR cancel my leg or can we just go for it. travel is in Nov.
So, you're saying that because the flight has gotten in early the last 6 days, so you have a legal connection even after the schedule change?

That's not how it works. There's no guarantee you'll get in early in November.

QR probably will try to rebook your DOH-MLE flight to the next flight (giving you a long layover), not cancel it.

So... are your MLE hotel rooms non-refundable? Because if you decide to "go for it", and it doesn't work out, you'll be stuck for hotel rooms in DOH (unless you like the floor at the airport) and MLE that QR won't pay for (since you decided to "go for it" on an illegal connection), and they will accommodate you on a space-available basis (possibly in Y).

If you're checking luggage, do you mind if your checked luggage doesn't make it to MLE the first night? If you really want to "go for it", I wouldn't plan on checking all your luggage (or go carryon only), or else you might have to do an unreimbursed shopping trip in MLE.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 29, 2014 at 10:12 pm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Both Y and J. I see some availability on Y when using the QFF search engine but none when I use the JL search engine. I didn't think HKG-AKL would be so popular when there is still F available on some routes out of SYD.
You don't mean F availability SYD-HKG, right?

You must be referring to SYD-NRT-HKG on JL?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:03 pm

Has anyone booked JL for more than 60 days now?

BTW, has anyone called US reservation at night and get a specific male agent that who can't find any award available and just want to hang up?
I think I have talked to this agent few times and each time he just can't find any flight that I feed him....
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:39 pm

Does US strictly enforce MPM for award bookings?
I called to see if I can book SEA-ORD-HKG-ICN-HKG-ORD-SEA (mainly to try CX F on my journey from SEA to ICN and back), and the agent said it exceeds the MPM.
I heard somewhere that going over the MPM a little bit is fine (the phone agents can make it work), however the agent I was talking to sounded pretty firm about this.
Is this a case where I should try HUCA, or is this indeed not a valid routing?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Originally Posted by agjil
I called to see if I can book SEA-ORD-HKG-ICN-HKG-ORD-SEA (mainly to try CX F on my journey from SEA to ICN and back), and the agent said it exceeds the MPM.
I heard somewhere that going over the MPM a little bit is fine (the phone agents can make it work), however the agent I was talking to sounded pretty firm about this.
You can always try HUACA but MPM seems to be imposed much more frequently than it used to be.

It might take 10 calls to find someone who doesn't impose MPM.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by smit0847
You can always try HUACA but MPM seems to be imposed much more frequently than it used to be.

It might take 10 calls to find someone who doesn't impose MPM.
Thanks for the reply.
I guess I'll give it one more try.
Btw, do US domestic segments also count when it comes to MPM calculation, or is MPM based only on the connections I'm making outside the US? (If going from US to N.Asia)
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
i was over by 80 miles and they refused to ticket. They were so adamant they wouldn't exceed MPM that they changed the ticket to give an open jaw and a stopover - but wouldn't budge on the mileage front.

YMMV
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
This sounds tedious. It's not like you have many choices, as OW gave up the west coast long ago and no OW carriers fly into SEA from Asia. While SEA-PHX-LAX-HKG-ICN would be a little shorter, it probably costs the airlines just as much for the extra flight.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Erm, how about using YVR as your origin/destination instead of a segment on AA, if the point is to take a routing through HKG to experience CX F?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kremmen
This sounds tedious. It's not like you have many choices, as OW gave up the west coast long ago and no OW carriers fly into SEA from Asia. While SEA-PHX-LAX-HKG-ICN would be a little shorter, it probably costs the airlines just as much for the extra flight.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Erm, how about using YVR as your origin/destination instead of a segment on AA, if the point is to take a routing through HKG to experience CX F?
Thanks for the tips.
I'll see if YVR-HKG-ICN will work, although this routing also seems a little over MPM25. (by like 30 miles...lol)
If this is also a no-go, I'll just give up on the current US promotion.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Getting from YVR-SEA tends to be either expensive (crappy prop plane flights) or tedious (train), but it is an option. Speaking of this part of the world, can someone tell me what MPM25 US uses for MEL-SEA? (And does it matter which carriers I use?)
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting from YVR-SEA tends to be either expensive (crappy prop plane flights) or tedious (train), but it is an option.
Bus too (Boltbus or other busses from downtown Seattle).

And it's, what, a 40 minute flight? A Q400 on QX is fine for that... plus if you want, you can fly DL and get an RJ.

And considering the alternative's a 3+ hour flight on AA... that doesn't seem a lot less tedious than a train or short regional flight.

Speaking of this part of the world, can someone tell me what MPM25 US uses for MEL-SEA? (And does it matter which carriers I use?)
I would guess Pacific routing. The problem is OW presence in SEA is lousy, so connecting flights mean a backtrack to DFW/ORD which, as you see, really hurts MPM. Your best bet is a (modest) fistful of Avios to get you to YVR/SFO/LAX on AS for a CX flight.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:26 pm

And considering the alternative's a 3+ hour flight on AA... that doesn't seem a lot less tedious than a train or short regional flight.
The short regional flight on a non-OW carrier means original carrier (e.g. if QF) may not interline bags, etc. It's tedious. And have you looked at YVR-SEA flights? Lowest price for some dates next year: $388 return for a 50 min flight!

I would guess Pacific routing. The problem is OW presence in SEA is lousy, so connecting flights mean a backtrack to DFW/ORD which, as you see, really hurts MPM.
Having previously flown OZ and NH and looked at BR, I am painfully aware of all that.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Speaking of this part of the world, can someone tell me what MPM25 US uses for MEL-SEA? (And does it matter which carriers I use?)
MPM between East Coast Australia and West Coast US is pretty brutal when not travelling via the Pacific only. Backtracking of any sort is virtually impossible.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.4.4 - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: MEL-SEA/US]
Code:

GI       M      5M     10M     15M     20M     25M     
MPM      PA    9854   10346   10839   11332   11824   12317
MEL-HKG-SFO-SEA just sneaks under if that's a possible routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.