Can't Re-Price Flights when Outbound is Sold Out?

Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Can't Re-Price Flights when Outbound is Sold Out?

I am flying later this week on US. I wanted to change my return flight to the day before, so I called my corporate travel agent.

She said that she couldn't re-price the itinerary because my outbound flight is sold out. The only solution is to wait until I fly the outbound and then call back.

I'm hesitant to wait this long, as I'm afraid the price will go up and/or the return flight will become sold out.

Is there something I can do to change my return flight before I fly the outbound? I do have to book the change through the corporate travel agent, as that is what my company requires.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
If you make a change using a round-trip fare prior to travel commencing, your entire trip will be re-priced as if you are ticketing now -- not based on the date you bought your original ticket.

Non-refundable fares require ticketing within 24 hours of booking (in most cases). If your outbound is no longer available, the invetory you hold won't qualify for being reticketed (as you aren't ticketing this ticket within 24 hours of the booking being made).

If the agent could "rebook" the outbound, this problem would be solved (assuming you still meet the advance purchase requirement). However, since the flight is sold out you would have to select a different flight for the outbound too.

Only solution is wait until you commence travel unless you are willing to chagne outbound flights and likely pay a higher fare in both directions.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Yep, this nonsense is exactly what you have to do. You should be able to rebook once you check in for the first segment. If that doesn't work, try calling after you land and the coupon's been pulled.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
I had similar situation, though my outbound wasn't sold out. I needed to change my return flight. (of a 4 seg itin). I had rec'd upgrades on the first 3 segs, but not the last one which I needed to change. They couldn't just change the one. The corp travel suggested I wait until I fly all 3 legs and then call to secure the upgrades, but didn't want this option as the return flight price could go way up. I looked into using miles for the return portion, and cancelling the last leg, but was told that's a no-go too, as they would re-price the entire thing, and it would likely go way up.
I therefore just reticketed the entire thing, lost my 3 upgrades, and paid the fare diff, and change fees. I had been told US could "add back" my upgrades after the ticket was issued. This was not true. They said they can only do that manually at 24hr window. so now I'm left hoping at the sweep tonight, they all get reprocessed.
As this was entirely my fault, I am not blaming US, even though it would have been nice,if I could have just changed the return flight and kept the other 3 intact. I realize there are laws/regs/procedures preventing this. Just an observation that it would have been nice.
Also, any thoughts on whether my 3 UGs will clear? I guess they should unless, someone of higher miles and CP happens to book these segs.
Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.