Wiki Posts
Search

DM Award Ticketing Error

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM, LM, Avios
DM Award Ticketing Error

Hi everyone, first time posting after years of browsing only.

Wanted to seek opinion about what to do with a situation I encountered using DM *A award ticket.

Long story short, I booked myself an award ticket HKG - Europe. My initial return journey was ticketed as MXP-IST-BKK-HKG on TK and TG metal. A few months before the trip, LX award seats opened up, I called DM call center to change the return itinerary to MXP-ZRH-HKG on the same traveling dates. $150 amendment fee was charged, the changes were apparently successful with the new itinerary shown in my DM account. I was given PNR for the LX flights which I could also log on to their website to make seat assignments. The new itinerary also showed up on Saudi Air website when I checked the e-ticket.

When I was at MXP, I was checked-in and went to the LH lounge. Around 40 minutes before departure, the LH lounge staff approached me and told me my original TK flights were not exchanged for the LX flights on my ticket despite the reservation had been made. Naturally they could not do anything to let me get on board unless US airways fixed it, or I had to pay for a new revenue ticket to LX directly to get home.

I called DM hotline right away, but was put on hold for at least 20 minutes before I was connected to an agent (maybe due to the snowstorms disrupting travels and the agents were so occupied?). Anyway, it was past the gate closing time by the time I was connected to an agent. I had no options but to pay for the substantial amount (more than 2000 Euros) to be ticketed through LX last minute as that was the last flight out of MXP to connect to the flight ZRH-HKG and I had to get back on time for work.

Obviously the DM agent could do nothing to revert their mistake by that time. I was given a verbal promise by him that I could be reimbursed (which of course did not carry any meaning really). After I completed the journey, I emailed US Customer Services for complaints and reimbursement request, which was initially acknowledged.

After a few weeks, I found that an amusing $6.9 was reimbursed for unknown reasons (maybe the airport taxes?). I emailed the CS again, there had been no more replies or whatsoever. I made a copy of the payment proof, boarding passes etc and mailed them to the CS offices reinstating my complaints and claims. I am not sure if I would receive a positive resolution from US, and I just wonder if any of you had encountered similar unfortunate situations before, and what would be the next logical step to do if I do not receive positive (or any at all) reply.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I think you just need to really push this with US Airways. Stick only to facts, but make sure you emphasize that this was a US Airways' employee's mistake. If you have screen shots showing what should've been the correct routing/ticketing, make sure you include that to show them. Also, make sure to reference the $150 change fee charge to show them you did make a change and that they billed you for it.

Because this is an award ticket, you don't have the option of a dispute with your credit card unfortunately. Also, because you spent the money to get home with a different airline, you can't really ask the other airline to provide any money back.

As an aside, this is one reason I think getting creative and messing with tickets after they've been issued is a mistake, especially when dealing with awards and partner airlines. These computer systems that all the airlines use are so antiquated, filled with so much code that no one at the companies even know what they all do anymore, that there is so much potential for screw-ups when you do things that aren't straightforward. Maybe it was a computer glitch that caused the problem; Maybe it was just user error. You'll never know the answer, but it is one reason I'm a fan of not messing around with ticketed itineraries. I do think in this case that the OP did their best to ensure things weren't screwed up by doing the checks mentioned before flying, but this goes to show that even if things look good in the customer interface, who knows how screwed up things are behind the scenes.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: None
I'm not sure why the Saudia (SV) website showed your itinerary since you were originally booked on TK/TG and rebooked on LX for the Europe/Asia segments. Maybe that should have been the first indication that something was amiss.

As a last resort you could file a DOT report. It may not do any good if a carrier other than US made the error, but be sure to include the change fee US charged plus the LX PNR showing the changed routing that US sent you. If nothing else a DOT report will get US scrambling to figure out which carrier they can blame for the mistake.

For future reference, US has a call center in the UK that I believe is a toll-free call for all of Europe and generally has very short if any hold time. However, it's only open during normal business hours 7 days a week I believe.

Jim
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Wow, I had a very similar situation happen to me. I was originally flying BOS-MUC (lh) - IST (tk) but later changed from muc-ist to muc-ath on LH. The new reservation appeared on LHs site and they even checked my bags through to ATH in BOS. However in MUC I was told that US never issued an onward ticket and there was nothing they could do. Of course US was also closed at this time. Fortunately they had US agents working their flight from MUC that LH was eventually able to put me in touch with and after a few stressful hours I was rebooked MUC-IST-ATH with an 8hr delay.

Unfortunately I don't have much advice to offer in your situation. Personally, I would never count on any airline to reimburse for a purchased ticket, because if they were actually planning on doing that they could likely book you themselves at lower cost. Keep pushing and insist they listen to the recording.

It does seem that US has problems issuing ticket changes..
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I'm not sure why the Saudia (SV) website showed your itinerary since you were originally booked on TK/TG and rebooked on LX for the Europe/Asia segments. Maybe that should have been the first indication that something was amiss.
The Saudia site will give itinerary and fare details for tickets plated on many different airlines' stock, not just those in SkyTeam. It's actually very useful.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM, LM, Avios
Hi everyone again, in regards to my unfortunate incident, I sent a complaint and reimbursement claim to US customer services with all the relevant proofs by post around 3 weeks ago. I received nothing from them, not even an acknowledgment.

I filed a complaint to the DOT Aviation Consumer Protection Division, they replied that they don't have the jurisdiction over two international points and only forwarded my complaint to US again.

Just want to know if you guys have any suggestions of what I can do about the issue next ? Thanks a lot really.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I am so tired of hearing stories like this. Sorry I can't be of more help OP, but I hope to see the government make take effort to make airlines more responsible in this matter. I never hear such stories with revenue tickets.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thepsych
Hi everyone, first time posting after years of browsing only.

Wanted to seek opinion about what to do with a situation I encountered using DM *A award ticket.

Long story short, I booked myself an award ticket HKG - Europe. My initial return journey was ticketed as MXP-IST-BKK-HKG on TK and TG metal. A few months before the trip, LX award seats opened up, I called DM call center to change the return itinerary to MXP-ZRH-HKG on the same traveling dates. $150 amendment fee was charged, the changes were apparently successful with the new itinerary shown in my DM account. I was given PNR for the LX flights which I could also log on to their website to make seat assignments. The new itinerary also showed up on Saudi Air website when I checked the e-ticket.

When I was at MXP, I was checked-in and went to the LH lounge. Around 40 minutes before departure, the LH lounge staff approached me and told me my original TK flights were not exchanged for the LX flights on my ticket despite the reservation had been made. Naturally they could not do anything to let me get on board unless US airways fixed it, or I had to pay for a new revenue ticket to LX directly to get home.

I called DM hotline right away, but was put on hold for at least 20 minutes before I was connected to an agent (maybe due to the snowstorms disrupting travels and the agents were so occupied?). Anyway, it was past the gate closing time by the time I was connected to an agent. I had no options but to pay for the substantial amount (more than 2000 Euros) to be ticketed through LX last minute as that was the last flight out of MXP to connect to the flight ZRH-HKG and I had to get back on time for work.

Obviously the DM agent could do nothing to revert their mistake by that time. I was given a verbal promise by him that I could be reimbursed (which of course did not carry any meaning really). After I completed the journey, I emailed US Customer Services for complaints and reimbursement request, which was initially acknowledged.

After a few weeks, I found that an amusing $6.9 was reimbursed for unknown reasons (maybe the airport taxes?). I emailed the CS again, there had been no more replies or whatsoever. I made a copy of the payment proof, boarding passes etc and mailed them to the CS offices reinstating my complaints and claims. I am not sure if I would receive a positive resolution from US, and I just wonder if any of you had encountered similar unfortunate situations before, and what would be the next logical step to do if I do not receive positive (or any at all) reply.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Have you ever received a NEW ticket sent to you AFTER the switch to LX?

Can you clarify this on the TICKET NUMBER you used to check the Saudia site - it is the OLD ticket number BEFORE the switch to LX, or the NEW ticket number you got AFTER the switch to LX?

What was the status of the OLD ticket shown, and what was the status of the NEW ticket shown? If there was a NEW ticket reissued.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy

As a last resort you could file a DOT report. It may not do any good if a carrier other than US made the error, but be sure to include the change fee US charged plus the LX PNR showing the changed routing that US sent you. If nothing else a DOT report will get US scrambling to figure out which carrier they can blame for the mistake.

For future reference, US has a call center in the UK that I believe is a toll-free call for all of Europe and generally has very short if any hold time. However, it's only open during normal business hours 7 days a week I believe.

Jim
Saudia site has a function to check e-Ticket status which apparently is pulled from IATA data base, regardless which airline issued the ticket. It actually is a God Send to many of us whose e-tickets are reissued multiple times, to make sure a new ticket number is issued and the previous ones correctly shown as Exch/Reissue, with new one correctly shown the ticket status - i.e. Confirmed and Paid, with Coupon status either Airport Control or Open to Use.

I wonder if the OP has taken snap shot of his last check on Saudia site, presumably it is his re-issued ticket.

DOT does not have power in situation like this.

OP can try to contact his State's AG office Consumer Affairs to complain. Sometimes it forces the airlines to oblige.

OP can of course escalate this all the way up to US' food chain.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Originally Posted by doctor15
Of course US was also closed at this time.
?? You would call US reservations to change any ticketing - they are open 24/7.
Old May 7, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Wow, seems there are a lot of these agent error stories. I called to inquire about making a date change, due to an emergency, mid-trip to an award itinerary. The agent said he could cancel and redeposit miles, which I thought they were doing due to the emergency (hospital paperwork provided), but then they came back saying no miles would be returned and ticket was canceled. I was never asked if I wanted to cancel (often the agents ask you to confirm, and spend a lot of time repeating all segments for this type of "checks and balances").

He acknowledged it was his fault that I was essentially stranded with no ticket mid-trip now. He documented the record thoroughly and told me to email DM Customer Service for a partial refund in miles due to his mistake. It has been two weeks now and no response. Do they even answer emails? What has been your experience?

Not sure how to escalate beyond that since DOT does not seem to want to help with these international tickets either. Should I use Facebook/Twitter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.