Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPS: Re-Route on DL, Lesson-Learned

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2014, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
IRROPS: Re-Route on DL, Lesson-Learned

Original flight was DCA-PHL-BTV with a short but legal connection in PHL on Christmas Eve. DCA-PHL leg was delayed 1 hr which put the connection in jeopardy for the last US flight of the day to BTV.

I was able to convince the GA to re-route us on DL (DCA-LGA-BTV) about 35-40 minutes prior to the DCA-LGA leg was scheduled to take off, so just in time to do an on-line check-in and get through security. GA handed us a printout with the new DL flights but no confirmation or ticket numbers (original US PNR was on the print-out, but no other identifying ticket information). Asked for PNR/e-ticket number to check-in via my phone and the GA stated that they have no access to DL ticketing so would need to check-in at the DL ticket counter. Missed the minimum check-in by about 5 minutes after sprinting to the other side of DCA and ended up re-booking with US for a flight today.

Did the GA tell me the right info about the DL tickets? Seems like if they can see inventory to re-route (and go through with actually trying to re-route on DL flights), they should also be able to provide the e-ticket number and/or PNR. Wondering if I missed asking the right question that might have jogged their memory as to the right screen in their system...
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by picards007
Original flight was DCA-PHL-BTV with a short but legal connection in PHL on Christmas Eve. DCA-PHL leg was delayed 1 hr which put the connection in jeopardy for the last US flight of the day to BTV.

I was able to convince the GA to re-route us on DL (DCA-LGA-BTV) about 35-40 minutes prior to the DCA-LGA leg was scheduled to take off, so just in time to do an on-line check-in and get through security. GA handed us a printout with the new DL flights but no confirmation or ticket numbers (original US PNR was on the print-out, but no other identifying ticket information). Asked for PNR/e-ticket number to check-in via my phone and the GA stated that they have no access to DL ticketing so would need to check-in at the DL ticket counter. Missed the minimum check-in by about 5 minutes after sprinting to the other side of DCA and ended up re-booking with US for a flight today.

Did the GA tell me the right info about the DL tickets? Seems like if they can see inventory to re-route (and go through with actually trying to re-route on DL flights), they should also be able to provide the e-ticket number and/or PNR. Wondering if I missed asking the right question that might have jogged their memory as to the right screen in their system...
Yes they did tell you the correct thing. I've had this issue before. Always allow 1 hr for irop Misconnects to another carrier.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by B767capt
Yes they did tell you the correct thing. I've had this issue before. Always allow 1 hr for irop Misconnects to another carrier.
Makes sense, thank you. 1 hr for re-route on a different carrier seems like a good rule of thumb to keep in mind. I was initially looking for a later option but being 12/24, DL was running a reduced schedule on their DCA-LGA shuttle (the 2pm was the last one of the day and I figured it was worth a shot) and there were no seats on the US DCA-LGA shuttle, which also stopped early that afternoon. I will definitely be better armed with information for the next time this comes up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.