Wiki Posts
Search

Just Witnessed US Accident at PHL [13 Mar 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:25 am

The cockpit should be scrapped.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by deventhakkar
Why the heck would they do that? I mean, they should cut off the cockpit from the rest of the plane, cannibalize the plane/use for aircraft spare parts (dismantle and part out the wings, engines, elevators, tail fin, and the main landing gear and put up the plane in jacks.

The hull with the cabin inside should be remaining outside the hanger with passenger boarding air stairs. The cabin should be used for crew training/fire practice or evacuation practice.
Rather than the airline, its fate will be up to the insurer that took possession of the aircraft after paying out on the policy to the aircraft owner (a leasing bank if I recall). The insurer will then try to minimize its losses by maximizing the remaining value of the aircaft parts then likely scrap the remainder of the aircraft for the value of recycling the raw materials. While I suppose the airport could purchase the remains for fire & rescue training, they already have practice equipment along the west end of runway 27L and are unlikely to have a need, or space, for a full sized aircraft fuselage, or be willing to pay the insurer as much as they can get by scrapping it.

In addition to the cockpit and front landing gear damage, the aircraft also suffered a tail strike at the beginning of the accident sequence and sustained damage to the engines after front gear collapse, which would introduce corrosion risk if it were kept intact in the long term, and some high gravitational forces on each impact, which may or may not have caused less obvious stress damage. For those details we'll likely need to wait for the final NTSB report.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:43 pm

Yeah. We will wait and see.

Last edited by deventhakkar; Nov 23, 2014 at 5:31 pm
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:47 pm

But it's not like a repeat of aloha airlines flight 243. In my scenario, the aircraft is already dismantled and there's nothing left but the hull remaining at it's resting place and air stairs with it.

The "aircraft" is immobilized since it's parted out so shouldn't such a big problem if corrosion happens, does it? It's not going anywhere so it's not like a huge chunk of fuselage rips out?

Last edited by deventhakkar; Nov 23, 2014 at 5:31 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
In addition to the arguments made for and against the write off...

There is a liability looked at on any major repairs, The replacement of cockpit sections, the damage to the airframe and other items are considered.

One needs to look at the failed repair of a B747 by boeing that caused a crash into Mt. Fuji and the loss of life on board to understand a repair to the aircraft is not the same as to Dad's Ford Focus.

Repairs are expensive, time consuming and carry a future liability risk if not done perfectly.

From a safety and economic stand point the WO and scrapping of this airframe is a no brainer.

Just my $.02

Al
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:08 pm

Shame this damaged plane will meet the scrap yard soon and be destroyed. Oh, well i hope it's used as spare parts.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I missed this article when it came out a few weeks ago, but it's the first new pubically available informaton on the accident investigation in some time:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...sh-faa-407032/

Unfortunately, it is not that flattering of the cockpit crew's actions. Naturally, the investigation is ongoing so more may come to light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.