Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The seats are much more comfortable than the LAA planes, but they don't have power or in-seat video. They do have GoGo, however.

Originally Posted by estnet
If this is the pmUS plane it is a nightmare! I was on a PHL-SFO a few days ago Over 6 hour flight with
NO power source
NO IFE
NO WIFI
Minimal F seat recline

The plane I was on was circa 1985 (per FA), and didn't even have drop down screens! If I had paid for F class (I was ug) I would have been furious, I cannot believe they are selling tickets on a plane with NO RELATION to anything remotely first class.

Few days later on F new 321s - great screen with lots of IFE choice, power points, reasonable seats and wifi (albeit too slow to use) DFW-sfo. Hard to believe it is the same airline
Since when is there an LUS A321 with no wifi? Haven't they all had wifi for years? No power is crap though.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
First world problem I know, but in my experience at over 6", not very comfy. But then again, I find no US seats in the pointy end to be particularly comfy or luxurious (but I have not done JFK-LAX or Mint), but it is cheap to fly in the pointy end in the US.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I don't mind these planes. They're fairly comfy up front and the bulkhead isn't awful. Better than 1A on the DL 739ER.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
If this is the pmUS plane it is a nightmare! I was on a PHL-SFO a few days ago Over 6 hour flight with
NO power source
NO IFE
NO WIFI
Minimal F seat recline
You sure about no wifi? Every 321 Ive been on has had it.

The plane I was on was circa 1985 (per FA), and didn't even have drop down screens!
AAs oldest 321 dates to 2001. So you or the FA are off by only about 15 years.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; May 1, 2016 at 5:22 am
Old May 1, 2016, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Fairly comfortable F seats but you will need to self entertain yourself and make sure any tablet is fully charged ahead of time.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Few days later on F new 321s - great screen with lots of IFE choice, power points, reasonable seats and wifi (albeit too slow to use) DFW-sfo. Hard to believe it is the same airline
Why is it hard to believe, for a 15-year FlyerTalker and UA 1K? Your base of experience shouldn't be that shallow or narrow. AA and US fleets haven't been commonized ~18 months after the merger. But UA is five years beyond its merger and differences between UA and CO aircraft of the same type still abound: ex-CO 777s that didn't get 3-class Global First; 739s that didn't get AVOD (search for 'dark 739' in the UA forum); and ex-CO 738s that didn't have E+ even four years after the merger.

Yes, there are differences between AA and US-origin aircraft. Those differences will persist for some time.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The plane I was on was circa 1985 (per FA)
Looks like your FA didn't have a clue. There are no A321s from 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus...the_A320:_A321

The maiden flight of the Airbus A321 came on 11 March 1993, when the prototype, registration F-WWIA, flew with IAE V2500 engines; the second prototype, equipped with CFM56-5B turbofans, flew in May.Lufthansa and Alitalia were the first to order the stretched Airbuses, with 20 and 40 aircraft requested, respectively. The first of Lufthansa's V2500-A5-powered A321s arrived on 27 January 1994, while Alitalia received its first CFM56-5B-powered aircraft on 22 March.
I've always thought the pmUS A321s were fine in Y for the seats, and they've always had WiFi in the last couple of years I've flown them. US's mainline fleet went 100% WiFi some years ago.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stheller
I have a PHL-SEA trip in F this coming August, which I was pretty happy about... until I read the complaints about it on Seatguru, mostly how uncomfortable the F seats are.

How bad is it really?
I fly these every week, and they're just fine. I actually prefer the LUS A321 to the LAA B738, which is really uncomfortable and leaves me with a sore butt. Admittedly it's a bit like being sat in a 1980s La-Z-Boy but there's bigger problems in life

None of them have power or entertainment, so bring your own fully charged devices to avoid disappointment, and the WiFi isn't the best - good enough for email and browsing though. With a little preparation (syncing email and Dropbox in the morning), this is a non-issue.

As to seat preference, I happen to prefer 1C or 1D, because some of these planes have broken recliners that allow the seat in front to recline far enough that I can't use my 15" laptop comfortably. I'm 6'1" and find there to be enough space. If you want row 1, you should try to board early, so you can easily fit your carry-on, because you're on a bulkhead.

As with many things in life, your experience will depend on your expectations. If you are expecting lie-flat seats, you'll be very disappointed. If you've experienced European F, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N1120A
The seats are much more comfortable than the LAA planes, but they don't have power or in-seat video. They do have GoGo, however.

Since when is there an LUS A321 with no wifi? Haven't they all had wifi for years? No power is crap though.
Right. They all have WiFi, though some of them are pretty early GoGo versions, which sometimes don't work or are slow. Thankfully these days the FAs want WiFi so they can sit and browse the internet during the flight, so they usually make sure it works.

I don't find the lack of power a big deal. I have a 4-year old MacBook which easily lasts 5 hours. Modern laptops can easily outlast a typical US domestic flight.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jmappleby
Right. They all have WiFi, though some of them are pretty early GoGo versions, which sometimes don't work or are slow. Thankfully these days the FAs want WiFi so they can sit and browse the internet during the flight, so they usually make sure it works.

I don't find the lack of power a big deal. I have a 4-year old MacBook which easily lasts 5 hours. Modern laptops can easily outlast a typical US domestic flight.
The PHL-SEA flight is quoted as a bit over 6 hours, so my laptop (4-year old Inspiron 17) wouldn't make it.

However, I'll also have a Kindle Keyboard, which can go a couple of weeks between charges, so I'm not too worried about running out of reading material.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
As a pmAA flier, I've been on a number of pmUS 321s over the past year and have to agree with the folks that are saying that they are just fine. Power would be a significant improvement (I'm currently charging up my laptop and phone in the AC in PHL between 321 flights) but other than power I don't find pmUS 321s or the pmUS domestic fleet overall to be much different than pmAA's US domestic fleet (sure, pmAA has some planes with seatback TVs but that's still a minority of the pmAA fleet and I rarely encounter them in my travels).
Old May 2, 2016, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
NO power source
NO IFE
NO WIFI
Minimal F seat recline

The plane I was on was circa 1985 (per FA), and didn't even have drop down screens! If I had paid for F class (I was ug) I would have been furious, I cannot believe they are selling tickets on a plane with NO RELATION to anything remotely first class.

<redacted>

All A321 have Wifi, Airbus wasn't building A321 in 1985 and seat recline is basically the same on all non lie flat planes.

Last edited by Microwave; May 2, 2016 at 2:05 pm Reason: Name calling is beneath this forum
Old May 2, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
None of them have power or entertainment, so bring your own fully charged devices to avoid disappointment, and the WiFi isn't the best - good enough for email and browsing though. With a little preparation (syncing email and Dropbox in the morning), this is a non-issue.
WiFi on LUS aircraft is no worse than on LAA aircraft. It seems that WiFi is a tad better on LUS aircraft for me (total anecdotal evidence for sure).
Old May 9, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
Anyone know if the legacy Abuse Air A321’s are going to get updated interiors?

Had a flight from hell yesterday from CLT to LAX. Had purchased a First Class ticket only to find no AV service of any sort, a kid who screamed every 30 seconds (not AA’s problem, but made all the worse when there was nothing to divert our attention for a 5-1/2 hour trip) and an hour late departure. We were told we could stream some video, assuming we had our own device (most didn’t) and yes, even though this was a First Class cabin, we’d have to pay for the entertainment.

Recent press stories say Mr. Parker is aiming for the premium market. This is hardly a path to get there. The cabin crew asked us to also note: They need a second oven versus the old Abuse Air equipment that was never meant for cross country premium service.
Old May 9, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior200
Had a flight from hell yesterday from CLT to LAX. Had purchased a First Class ticket only to find no AV service of any sort, a kid who screamed every 30 seconds (not AA’s problem, but made all the worse when there was nothing to divert our attention for a 5-1/2 hour trip) and an hour late departure. We were told we could stream some video, assuming we had our own device (most didn’t) and yes, even though this was a First Class cabin, we’d have to pay for the entertainment.
Do the legacy US Airbus 321s not have even audio channels? I always have my noise-cancelling headphones, but I don't always have my tablet.

I understand that there is no visual IFE on these aircraft because they never had the monitors installed like on most pmAA equipment, but I did think they had at least the audio IFE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.