Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DenverBrian
AA (legacy US Airways) Airbus A321-200 "321"

The older legacy US Airways Airbus A321-200 is shown as "321" in AA schedules. (Newer legacy AA A321s are listed as "32B" as they have "Sharklet" wingtip devices installed, and include two class A321S and A321H ETOPS and three class A321T transcontinental versions.)

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all A321-200s will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

The legacy US Airways A321s are currently unmodified, though a few have been reupholstered, have new carpeting and bulkhead liners. These have less seat pitch and recline in the First cabin, no Main Cabin Extra seats other than the few with greater seat pitch (e.g. bulkhead / 5, Exit rows 9, 10, 22, and 23) and have neither seatback IFE nor at seat power provisions. They do have GoGo WiFi and free streaming audio and video entertainment for your WiFi capable devices..

Note 10 ABC (fixed armrests with deploying trays) or F, 23 A and F seem to be preferred by some members.

Please see AA to install same new seats in 737-800s and A321s but add more of them for information on the plan to install new B/E Aerospace Meridian slimline seats in a denser pattern and 30" seat pitch in Main Cabin in 2019. (We will dedicate a thread to the CIP / modified A321 when that aircraft becomes current with the AA fleet.)

The A320-321 refurbishment thread may be read here.

Older posts from 2014 and 2015 have been archived here.

Updated 31 Jan 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 (legacy US Airways A321-200) master thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
The transcontinental 3 class is only on lax/sfo-jfk and every one of these flights.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Do they offer tablets in first from PHL-SEA?

I am just wondering if they offer tablets for First Class PAX from PHL to SEA?
Any insights?
Thx,
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Do they offer tablets for first class pax on LUS?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by felicidad76
I am just wondering if they offer tablets for First Class PAX from PHL to SEA?
Any insights?
Thx,
No. Bring your own.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I have not seen tablets offered on any LUS domestic flight. The only time I have been offered is BRU-PHL on a US 757. I would think the plane would need power outlets to make this practical.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by michaelpop
ACA321 nailed it. That route is on LUS equipment so don't expect power, IFE, MCE, etc.

However, your odds of getting a PDB in F from LUS crew is better.
They all have WIFI and the option to watch movies and such via a personal device.

Originally Posted by sukn
It's a hideous ride. Enjoy!
Whats so hideous? Its a comfortable ride in First and in the exit row seats in coach. The plane has WIFI and the entertainment options streamed to personal devices. Plus its a safe plane. Not really that hideous.

Originally Posted by felicidad76
Do they offer tablets for first class pax on LUS?
Tablets are only offered on premium transcon routes in F/J where in seat video does not exist (which pretty much is just MIA/LAX) and on long haul international where in seat video does not exist.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
They all have WIFI and the option to watch movies and such via a personal device.
... but the lack of power ports even in F is simply ridiculous, and makes it rather more difficult to use wifi or laptops on LUS transcons (or any LUS flight if one has forgotten to top up one's device battery).
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
How bad is the old A321 in F really?

I have a PHL-SEA trip in F this coming August, which I was pretty happy about... until I read the complaints about it on Seatguru, mostly how uncomfortable the F seats are.

How bad is it really?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
In my opinion, not bad at all. I find the seats on the old version (2001ish builds registered N161UW through N192UW) to be quite comfortable, but the tray tables and consoles are quite ratty. The newer build LUS A321s are typically cleaner, but I find them to be somewhat stiff on longer flights. Regardless, they're all way better on my back and butt than the older build 737-800s from the LAA side- those send me straight to the chiropractor...
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
You're in F which is always better than MC or MCE in my opinion because you can at least have a few cocktails or as much Coke as you want.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:05 pm

Thanks.

BTW, I'm on flight 729 PHILADELPHIA SEATTLE TACOMA, TUE 09AUG

I think that is an old version but can you tell for certain, assuming of course that they don't substitute another plane?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
You're in F which is always better than MC or MCE in my opinion because you can at least have a few cocktails or as much Coke as you want.
As long as they have Bailey's, I should be okay.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stheller
Thanks.

BTW, I'm on flight 729 PHILADELPHIA SEATTLE TACOMA, TUE 09AUG

I think that is an old version but can you tell for certain, assuming of course that they don't substitute another plane?
If by old version you mean the LUS (former US Airways) version, then yes, you will certainly be on that version. Virtually zero chance of sub to either LAA configuration.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many of the LUS A321s are fairly new, and in F, all planes are ok. You'll have no in-seat power, so bring a spare battery if that's an issue. You'll have no IFE, but that's what tablets and laptops can provide. IMO, the F seats are more comfortable than the new LAA A321 F seats. I'd say not bad at all.

In economy, there is no MCE (other than exit rows and bulkheads, which aren't what AA had in mind when MCE debuted).

Seat guru? Why do people still waste their time visiting that site?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Angry

If this is the pmUS plane it is a nightmare! I was on a PHL-SFO a few days ago Over 6 hour flight with
NO power source
NO IFE
NO WIFI
Minimal F seat recline

The plane I was on was circa 1985 (per FA), and didn't even have drop down screens! If I had paid for F class (I was ug) I would have been furious, I cannot believe they are selling tickets on a plane with NO RELATION to anything remotely first class.

Few days later on F new 321s - great screen with lots of IFE choice, power points, reasonable seats and wifi (albeit too slow to use) DFW-sfo. Hard to believe it is the same airline

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.