Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: awaflyboy
This is the current US boarding process:

1. Special assists
2. First Class & Uniformed Military
3. Emerald & Saphire (Chairman, Exec. Platinum, Platinum, US Gold)
4. Ruby (US Silver & AA Gold)
5. Preferred Access
4. Zone 1
5. Zone 2 (including US Visa Signature and MasterCard World Premier credit card holders)
6. Zones 3, 4, 5 and depending on the aircraft, Zone 6.
Print Wikipost

New Boarding Process, beginning 1/7/2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by LSUTigerWes
I don't think the information in this wiki is accurate. I am not disputing how your GA actually boarded, just saying it may not be according to what the policy is.
The last FT'er to edit the Wikipost is actually a US Gate Agent, so I'm assuming they posted the information as they were provided it.

As an FYI, any FT'er who has 180+ posts/180+ days on Flyertalk can create and edit Wikiposts on the site.
If you don't fit that criteria, I'd suggest sending a PM to the forum moderator, who can create/edit on your behalf.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by TravelinPhilly
Since you are retired can you still ride for free?
Yes*, although one priority level behind active employees.

*Int'l taxes/fees imposed by governments apply and there's a charge for FC/Envoy.

Jim
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
Originally Posted by NoVA guy
Goodness gracious! Having Platinums called with the other Elite levels
I'm wondering about where US is going to land me with treatment this coming year. I may be "only" Platinum, but I did it by segments - and I flew more than 100 segments - which is all I would have needed were I qualifying on American Airlines for Executive Platinum status.

So they seem to have a problem here in that US Airways used to have 4 tiers, but American only has 3, and the fact of the matter is that there are a lot of US flyers who are in my situation - quite a ways over the Platinum threshold but not all the way to Chairmans - who really should be in that highest tier.

Frankly, I think 4 tiers makes sense and it would be in line with Delta and United (and legacy US) to stick with 4 tiers.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: United, HHonors, Hyatt, Avis, Starbucks
Originally Posted by shawn67
Zone 2...Don't you ever listen to your friendly FA extoll the virtues of the US Airways Mastercard!
Has anyone had this experience and know for sure? I was curious if it would go the other way if I flew on AA metal.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The information at the top of this thread might be a bit off--or rather is different from my experience. I have taken 12 US flights since Jan 7 (about three-quarters of them boarded at hub airports), and based on my listening to the GAs, they read from a script (that includes saying something like "My name is xxx, and I'll be helping board today's flight..." or something similar), and when they read the script, first class, uniformed military, CP, and EXEC PLAT are called together. Uniformed military are not called with special assists. Special assists have been called first and by themselves. ...Just my experience over the dozen flights I've had since the switch.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 14thStreet
The information at the top of this thread might be a bit off--or rather is different from my experience. I have taken 12 US flights since Jan 7 (about three-quarters of them boarded at hub airports), and based on my listening to the GAs, they read from a script (that includes saying something like "My name is xxx, and I'll be helping board today's flight..." or something similar), and when they read the script, first class, uniformed military, CP, and EXEC PLAT are called together. Uniformed military are not called with special assists. Special assists have been called first and by themselves. ...Just my experience over the dozen flights I've had since the switch.
+1 for this. I spoke with the GA on my flight this morning and she confirmed military boards "with first class or anytime after." She read this from the script.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 3fkta
oh.. and the number of people boarding chairmans and aa exec was ridiculous..
Wonder how many of those were zone 1 elites who didn't notice the script change and just got in line and the gate agent didn't bother stopping them.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by 14thStreet
Originally Posted by LSUTigerWes
+1 for this. I spoke with the GA on my flight this morning and she confirmed military boards "with first class or anytime after." She read this from the script.
Please see my message above if you would like the Wikipost changed:

Originally Posted by aztimm
The last FT'er to edit the Wikipost is actually a US Gate Agent, so I'm assuming they posted the information as they were provided it.

As an FYI, any FT'er who has 180+ posts/180+ days on Flyertalk can create and edit Wikiposts on the site.
If you don't fit that criteria, I'd suggest sending a PM to the forum moderator, who can create/edit on your behalf.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
On a recent trip out of Las Vegas, the gate agent read the script, and at least three people claiming to be AA elites attempted to board with CP/EXP and first class. The gate agent turned them back, and they were somewhat indignant about, saying that they heard the agent say "preferred" and they are "preferred." (The gate agent may have paused slightly between "Chairman's" and "preferred" while reading the script.)

Does AA call its elites preferred?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
I noticed, at least for my flights, they don't say to use the blue preferred lane so people are using both making it bit of a mob scene.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Royal Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat,Accor Plat, US Chairmans
I think they should separate out F and elites. Or at least enforce what groups are called. I was upgraded to FC on my outbound and return. Once they called FC/Chairman's/EXP, there was a line forming and i could hear chatter that they didnt know what was called and they were MOSTLY Star gold and lower elite tiers from what I could hear. All 4 flight segments (outbound+return flights), the GA allowed boarding of all of them despite most clearly NOT BEING FC/Chairman's/EXP.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
I wish they could just incorporate it on your boarding pass.

If you are FC, you are Zone 1.

If you are EXP or CP, Zone 2.

And on and on. I know it would screw up the CC stuff but maybe you make Zone A, Zone B, then go to Zone 1 and Zone 2.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
And on and on. I know it would screw up the CC stuff but maybe you make Zone A, Zone B, then go to Zone 1 and Zone 2.
I'm just imagining the confusion (and questions to a busy gate agent) when occasional travelers hear "zone A" boarding and see "zone 4" on their board pass. Putting each group into it's own zone isn't a bad idea though.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: None
All I know is that boarding is one of the top complaints among FFs. It seems that no matter what the order, someone will say "Why don't they do it this way."

Jim
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by fordan
I'm just imagining the confusion (and questions to a busy gate agent) when occasional travelers hear "zone A" boarding and see "zone 4" on their board pass. Putting each group into it's own zone isn't a bad idea though.
Yes, in a perfect World they would do it all letters or numbers. I was just trying to think how to get around all of the materials that say Zone 2 Boarding for the CC.

Maybe Zone 1A, 1B, 1C...lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.