Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes @:-)

Prior thread can be found here:
US Automatic Upgrades (Elite)
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by aviators99
Flying SYR-CLT-FLL today and was upgraded SYR-CLT during the window. Two people on the PNR, one not elite. Now it is <24 and looking at the standby upgrade list for CLT-FLL there is one guy on there and I'm not on it.

Calling the Platinum desk gains no useful information (maybe it's the time of day?). I've seen some notes on here about "re-checking-in", but I have no idea how to do that (I go to the check-in page and it says that I'm automatically checked-in).

Any advice would be appreciated. Do I need to split the PNR? Can I even do that? Reservations refused to un-check me in.

Thanks.
Figured it out. By splitting the PNR I was able to add myself to the list. I can't believe how the CSR was so dumb. Her "supervisor"'s answer was, "There are no seats left so that's why it didn't put you on the standby list". Two problems with that: 1) There was already someone on the standby list (and I now know that they are lower status, since I moved into first position), and 2) The point of a STANDBY list is for when there are no seats available; otherwise you wouldn't need a standby list.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by aviators99
Figured it out. By splitting the PNR I was able to add myself to the list. I can't believe how the CSR was so dumb. Her "supervisor"'s answer was, "There are no seats left so that's why it didn't put you on the standby list". Two problems with that: 1) There was already someone on the standby list (and I now know that they are lower status, since I moved into first position), and 2) The point of a STANDBY list is for when there are no seats available; otherwise you wouldn't need a standby list.
Everyone stands on their own at the airport. You won't be added to the list unless you split the PNR. Mrs. Super is a SP. I checked in and couldn't add us to the standby list. When we got the airport, I asked why. Turns out that the only way was to split the PNR. I'd take my spot at the top of the list, and my wife would be down with the other silvers. She only had one seat available and would have confirmed me immediately, but wifey likely wouldn't have gotten upgraded.

As she didn't want to be in F by herself, I took the political option of staying in Y with her.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by Superguy
As she didn't want to be in F by herself, I took the political option of staying in Y with her.
A couple of years ago out of TPA during IRROPS, I didn't get that option. The only seats left for me and Mrs AT were 5B and 2A. My biggest dilemma was whether my PDB would be a screwdriver or a jack & ginger.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
A couple of years ago out of TPA during IRROPS, I didn't get that option. The only seats left for me and Mrs AT were 5B and 2A. My biggest dilemma was whether my PDB would be a screwdriver or a jack & ginger.
Loved that answer!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
Hehehe - you must have a very loving Mrs. to take a middle in that case.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Upgrade at T-55 ... days ?

Due to a schedule change for the Fall, I had to call in on a longstanding September reservation to pick a new flight -- the one I had been auto-assigned didn't suit me, so I did not "accept changes."

This am, I got positive upgrade notification on the (first) leg that I had changed.

What do you suppose happened here? My first thought was IT glitch. My second thought was that I had been incorrectly re-booked into a B or whatever the upgrade-on-availability Coach seat fare is.

But if that were the case, why would I have gotten the thumbs down on the return leg? (F cabin is wide open.) Could the fare class have been split in the rebooking? The return is what was mechanically offered to me after the schedule change.

No one asked me for my credit card number in the rebooking process and the on-line fare details still show the low-ball Coach fare from the original booking, earlier this summer.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Odd automatic upgrade results on all US metal

Not sure I found the best place for this post - was reluctant to start a new thread.

Anyone else notice odd upgrade performance on US past three weeks? I have had several trips, all US metal, all US tickets, (I still will not mix and match) where three out of four segments clear well in advance, but one segment does not, usually the last segment out of four. In all cases, I have asked at the gate or club what my chances look like and have found out I am not on the upgrade list for the non upgraded flight. I am CP. The benefit to US policy has always been the "you don't have to ask for it" approach. Over on AA I am EXP and they always seem shocked when I mention to them that you don't have to request an upgrade on US, it just happens. Any chance that US is somehow toying with making us ask for upgrades. The frustration is that I have trained myself to always ask on AA, but I never worry on US. Now, I am going to have to start asking/checking on all US segments. Ironic part is that today's offending flight is segment 120 for the year.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
In my experience, getting on the upgrade list for day-of-departure travel is not automatic, and success through OLCI or the kiosk is spotty. You do have to be vigilant.

You can now check the upgrade list through the US mobile website to make sure you're on it after checking in. Probably worth the effort.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Must be a time of year issue. The two times I failed to upgrade thus far this year where between PHL and MIA. And on an A321!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
how to book so family can get upgrade

I am about to book flights to florida for my hubby daughter and I--
they would get a big kick out of upgrading, which is very likely, but I know if I book the 3 of us I wont get an upgrade--or it that I can only upgrade with a companion??
Any advice??
and thank you!!!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by nlkm9
...I know if I book the 3 of us I wont get an upgrade--or it that I can only upgrade with a companion?? ...
I'd say book all now on one PNR and split later, with maybe husband on his own, if you find lots of F seats available for sale as flight date approaches.

If F is getting scarce at your window (the computer will process one US Gold ahead of one Gold + companion), getting one FC seat may be better than none (if you don't mind seating apart from family), so that would mean you alone on one PNR and your husband/daughter remaining in desired economy seats (if not upgraded with miles).
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by kudzu
I'd say book all now on one PNR and split later, with maybe husband on his own, if you find lots of F seats available for sale as flight date approaches.

If F is getting scarce at your window (the computer will process one US Gold ahead of one Gold + companion), getting one FC seat may be better than none (if you don't mind seating apart from family), so that would mean you alone on one PNR and your husband/daughter remaining in desired economy seats (if not upgraded with miles).
I'm not sure that's correct. Upgrades go off of BIS miles. If there are 2 seats left available for upgrades, Gold #1 with 50,000mi would lose out to Gold #2 that has a companion and 50,001mi.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I want what will most likely generate an upgrade for 2--like for me and my daughter, and then I would let hubby and daughter sit up there.
my question is, if i book us all on one ticket, will that preclude me from getting an upgrade for myself and 1 person because they will see that there are 3 people on one ticket??
I hope im making sense,lol.
I have been told that if I book for 3, I will only be offered an upgrade for me--I don't want it-I want them to enjoy it
thanks!!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
That's true -- but you can call in and easily split the PNR just before your upgrade window. Since PNRs can be split but not merged, it makes since to book all three of you on one PNR and then deal with it later, depending on what availability looks like the day before your upgrade window (so 4 days out, if you're gold). At that point, split your husband onto a separate record if upgrading you and a companion looks promising.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by skitch23
I'm not sure that's correct. Upgrades go off of BIS miles. If there are 2 seats left available for upgrades, Gold #1 with 50,000mi would lose out to Gold #2 that has a companion and 50,001mi.
You're correct if 2 seats available for upgrades. However, if at window F seats are becoming scarce and only 1 seat available (US doesn't always release all empty FC seats for upgrades at once), ...

Originally Posted by nlkm9
...my question is, if i book us all on one ticket, will that preclude me from getting an upgrade for myself and 1 person because they will see that there are 3 people on one ticket?? ...
Yes. You'd have to split at some point to have chance of getting upgraded (either yourself, or + 1) and how/when the split should occur (at window or better the day before) should depend on available FC seats then.

You mentioned also that you were told that if you book for 3, you'd only be offered an upgrade for yourself. Not automatically, as the computer would simply bypass you because of more than one companion in your PNR, when both companions aren't Preferred.

Last edited by kudzu; Sep 1, 2014 at 2:53 pm Reason: to add "when both companions aren't Preferred"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.