Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes @:-)

Prior thread can be found here:
US Automatic Upgrades (Elite)
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Glad to hear it worked. I was #1 on the list as well all the way from 24 hours out until boarding. Maybe you have to do it on the full site and not the mobile site like I did.

Originally Posted by phlwookie
The process worked for me today. Last night I had to book onto a flight with first already full. Checked in T-24 and put myself on the upgrade list where I was #1 and stayed at the top of the list (I'm a high miles chairman and the fare was Not Cheap). Checked the mobile site a few hours before the flight and saw 2 F seats opened up. I logged into the full site via my laptop and reran OLCI, chose "Just change my seats" and chose a seat in F.

If it's not working for you maybe they only allow #1 on the upgrade list to do it? In my case today I don't know who got the other F seat that opened, perhaps only #2 on the list could've done it if they've closed this loophole.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by beofotch
Glad to hear it worked. I was #1 on the list as well all the way from 24 hours out until boarding. Maybe you have to do it on the full site and not the mobile site like I did.
So it worked again for me today, this time via the mobile web site. Same itinerary as yesterday but now CLT-PHL - when I booked it a few days ago, F was full as the upgrade queue should have been down to the golds or even silvers by then. Once again, I was #1 on the upgrade list checking in at T-24, and as often will happen on a Friday afternoon/evening hub to hub, someone probably moved up or was going to misconnect, and an F seat opened in inventory and I was able to re-check in and grab it, this time on the mobile site. Good thing, too, as it's an A332 and intend to sleep like a baby.

Obviously YMMV. If it matters, I used Chrome on an iPhone for the mobile web site.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So it worked again for me today, this time via the mobile web site. Same itinerary as yesterday but now CLT-PHL - when I booked it a few days ago, F was full as the upgrade queue should have been down to the golds or even silvers by then. Once again, I was #1 on the upgrade list checking in at T-24, and as often will happen on a Friday afternoon/evening hub to hub, someone probably moved up or was going to misconnect, and an F seat opened in inventory and I was able to re-check in and grab it, this time on the mobile site. Good thing, too, as it's an A332 and intend to sleep like a baby.

Obviously YMMV. If it matters, I used Chrome on an iPhone for the mobile web site.
For that short of a flight?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
For that short of a flight?
Absolutely. I can get a very nice power nap in from 55 minutes in the air. And I did. I was actually asleep even before we left the gate, but of course did not recline the seat until in the air. Heck, I couldn't even begin to count all the times that I have fallen asleep on even much shorter flights such as CLT-GSO.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Is it just me or is anyone else not getting upgraded on flights they always get upgraded on? I'm Chairman and have already missed out on more upgrades this year than I did all of last year. For instance, the short hop I take between TUS and PHX. I've only been upgraded 50% and this was an easy 100% upgrade last year for me. I'm sure it's just coincidence.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:11 pm

I did a clt-phl-mco-clt trip and got upgraded on all bar the phl-mco run.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Absolutely. I can get a very nice power nap in from 55 minutes in the air. And I did. I was actually asleep even before we left the gate, but of course did not recline the seat until in the air. Heck, I couldn't even begin to count all the times that I have fallen asleep on even much shorter flights such as CLT-GSO.
I think FlightNurse was mentioning that you said it was an A332

US 1798 is indeed a 332.

There is also two 767s. That's news to me.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BThumme
I think FlightNurse was mentioning that you said it was an A332

US 1798 is indeed a 332.

There is also two 767s. That's news to me.
Ah, OK, obviously I read it differently first. There's usually been at least one A332 on the route in the European slow season for the past several years, and 767s frequent it year round. It's one way they can cycle the widebodies through Charlotte maintenance from Philly while also increasing hub to hub capacity.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: free agent

Worked for me (finally) this morning PHL-PHX. T-4 the flight went from F9 to F0 - obviously there were a boatload of higher BIS CP's than me on board. I was quite happy the consolation prize of 23F though #1 on the list right from the start of OLCI, but an F seat suddenly popped up at T-1h while I was in the club. Snagged it with re-check in (which surprised me), then visited the club angel for a new BP. ^^
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How are you guys able to re-check in? I've tried this several times when noticing an F seat open up around the 1-hour mark when I am on the upgrade list, but using the mobile app or the mobile website on my android phone, I get an error message. It says I'm already checked-in and won't allow me to change seats or anything else. I also called in to the Gold desk on one occasion and was informed that once I had checked in there is nothing they could do for me.

Can this only be done on the desktop site? I don't travel with a laptop so would be screwed if this is the case....
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Screamin03
Is it just me or is anyone else not getting upgraded on flights they always get upgraded on? I'm Chairman and have already missed out on more upgrades this year than I did all of last year. For instance, the short hop I take between TUS and PHX. I've only been upgraded 50% and this was an easy 100% upgrade last year for me. I'm sure it's just coincidence.
I'm actually seeing a lot more nearly empty cabins when I go to change my seat assignments after getting the upgrade notification. Batting 1000 so far on upgrades.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Screamin03
I'm 0 for 2 so far this year after not missing one until October last year. Not sure what the deal is.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by ACA321
How are you guys able to re-check in? I've tried this several times when noticing an F seat open up around the 1-hour mark when I am on the upgrade list, but using the mobile app or the mobile website on my android phone, I get an error message. It says I'm already checked-in and won't allow me to change seats or anything else. I also called in to the Gold desk on one occasion and was informed that once I had checked in there is nothing they could do for me.

Can this only be done on the desktop site? I don't travel with a laptop so would be screwed if this is the case....
Open us.com in your browser on your phone.
Hit the menu button in the browser.
Select "request desktop site".
Profit.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gruss
Open us.com in your browser on your phone.
Hit the menu button in the browser.
Select "request desktop site".
Profit.
Excellent, thanks gruss!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: WFBF
On Monday, booked MCI-CLT-DCA for Friday and return for Tuesday.

As of couple hours ago, upgraded on all four segments (the initial MCI-CLT was, oddly, the last one to clear -- CLT-DCA and DCA-CLT both cleared day of booking).

I now haven't missed an upgrade since, I think, October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.