Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

It's on again : Up to double miles this holiday season (12/15 to 12/20/2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
From the email sent:

Up to double miles this holiday season
Give the perfect gift this holiday season or treat yourself. When you buy or gift miles through December 20, 2013, you can get or give up to 100% more – up to 50,000 more miles.
Buy or gift Get or give
10,000 - 19,000 miles 50% more bonus miles
20,000 - 29,000 miles 75% more bonus miles
30,000 - 50,000 miles 100% more bonus miles
Buy and gift miles today so you and your friends and family can start planning your next ski getaway.
Link to Buy Miles
Link to Gift Miles

NOTE: It is against the Flyertalk Guidelines & Rules to offer to trade, outside of Coupon Connection. Disciplinary action will be taken if there are posts to that effect.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:19 am
Original Poster

"When you buy or gift miles through December 20, 2013, you can get or give up to 100% more – up to 50,000 more miles".... this cannot be sustainable for anyone except the bean counters at the new AA............ much as it has been said before, it needs to be said again...... a massive devaluation must be factored into any decision to buy and hold.... the only rational buy decision is the one where you buy and burn for an award you know you want and can use.

I should also point out that this is a buy or gift promotion so it is not as good value as the share miles promo that ran earlier this month

Last edited by basejump; Dec 15, 2013 at 5:24 am Reason: added clarification
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I just saw this and was going to post it.

4 times in just a couple of months, either buy/transfer deals? Seems unprecedented. If a big devaluation is coming, I'm gonna be mighty pissed off.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: Everyone!
$0.0188 each (after taxes and fees) for this one
$0.0114 each (after taxes and fees) with the just concluded share promo

So, about a 65% price increase, not a great deal with all the uncertainty unless you are just needing to "top off" for a particular award......
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:49 am

Buy miles from December 15th until December 20th 2013 and get up to a 100% bonus – up

Taught I will let everyone know this from US Airways. Are you in or out of this one?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As US Airways is still operating as an independent airline, and the Dividend Miles programme is distinct and separate from the pre-merger AAdvantage programme, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger US Airways forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:42 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
I was having a look at this. I'm wondering if after the merger we will still have opportunities like this?

1.88cents a mile is quite interesting. If you redeem for international biz tickets you should be able to redeem for 3-4cents a mile.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:01 am
zh

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,UA Silver
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
I was having a look at this. I'm wondering if after the merger we will still have opportunities like this?

1.88cents a mile is quite interesting. If you redeem for international biz tickets you should be able to redeem for 3-4cents a mile.
A bit worried... USDM has been having point sales almost very frequently - hope this doesn't mean a devaluation coming in the New Year!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by basejump
.... this cannot be sustainable for anyone except the bean counters at the new AA...
There is one explanation other than a devaluation in mileage value right around the corner - getting as much revenue as possible before the end of the quarter/year to make the bottom line look better.

First, every airline figures that some percentage of miles will never be used - breakage it's called. Just think of the folks who fill out one of the cc applications on a flight, visions of free airline tickets dancing in their heads. A year later the first annual fee comes due and they still don't have enough miles for 1 free ticket, never mind 2 tickets for a couple or 3-4 for a family. So they cancel the card rather than pay the annual fee - thousands of miles gone to breakage each. Or even the very FFer who has a few thousand miles left every time he/she gets an award ticket - those extra miles in their account represent breakage.

Then they figure that most of the extra miles given out that will be used most likely won't be used this fiscal quarter/year which puts off the cost incurred by their use to at least next year.

I'll admit that I haven't looked at AA's award charts but if the mileage requirements are generally higher than US' I'd be looking at a strong possibility of devaluation compared to US' current charts, i.e. the higher redemption will probably be retained rather than the lower.

Jim
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:11 am

Not a horrible deal if you are going to use them soon. I would only buy if I was sure I could use the 100k up before the next devaluation.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
You Nailed It On Making The Line Look Better

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
There is one explanation other than a devaluation in mileage value right around the corner - getting as much revenue as possible before the end of the quarter/year to make the bottom line look better.

First, every airline figures that some percentage of miles will never be used - breakage it's called. Just think of the folks who fill out one of the cc applications on a flight, visions of free airline tickets dancing in their heads. A year later the first annual fee comes due and they still don't have enough miles for 1 free ticket, never mind 2 tickets for a couple or 3-4 for a family. So they cancel the card rather than pay the annual fee - thousands of miles gone to breakage each. Or even the very FFer who has a few thousand miles left every time he/she gets an award ticket - those extra miles in their account represent breakage.

Then they figure that most of the extra miles given out that will be used most likely won't be used this fiscal quarter/year which puts off the cost incurred by their use to at least next year.

I'll admit that I haven't looked at AA's award charts but if the mileage requirements are generally higher than US' I'd be looking at a strong possibility of devaluation compared to US' current charts.

Jim
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I'll admit that I haven't looked at AA's award charts but if the mileage requirements are generally higher than US' I'd be looking at a strong possibility of devaluation compared to US' current charts, i.e. the higher redemption will probably be retained rather than the lower.
Has US Airways gone on record as saying what happens with US Airways miles post-merger? Do we know for sure that they exchange 1:1 with AA miles? And that AA's award levels are not changing?

There are some very nice redemption opportunities on AA's chart too...
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Has US Airways gone on record as saying what happens with US Airways miles post-merger? Do we know for sure that they exchange 1:1 with AA miles? And that AA's award levels are not changing?

There are some very nice redemption opportunities on AA's chart too...
No nothing has been said, but which airline merger did not result in a 1:1 exchange?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Is this the state of things to come when both programs will be merged and probably enhanced a great bit?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm not sure how that would play out this time, because I believe they will be stating revenue as the combined company, although it's as good guess as anything else.

I also suspect there's a bit of marketing involved: both promotions are for very short periods and at totally different price levels. Might be they are just sampling the waters to see what prospective US/AA members are willing to pay. From what I read over at the AA board, they apparently think anything <2.5 cents/mile is a bargain - so go figure.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by GaryZ
I'm not sure how that would play out this time, because I believe they will be stating revenue as the combined company, although it's as good guess as anything else.
If it's like previous mergers they'll state pro forma performance prior to the closing date and combined after - both for the parent company US Group and AMR prior and the combined holding company (still AMR?) after. Also, as long as AA and US are separate units they'll most likely break out the two division numbers. You do make a good point however. Of course, this quarter will be odd anyway given BK accounting on AA's part.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.