Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Share the gift of travel this holiday season - share your miles with a friend or family member. It's an economical way to help someone travel.

This Cyber Week, from December 26, we're making sharing even sweeter with a special holiday bonus miles offer that can help you give up to DOUBLE the miles.

The more you share, the more bonus miles your friend or family member will receive.

US Website for info:
https://buy.points.com/marketing/usairways/landingpages/share.html?CAMPAIGNCODE=003_25_0110_BYUP50000BNS00 0000000_021213

Both accounts must be >= 12 days old.

NOTE: It is against the Flyertalk Guidelines & Rules to offer to trade, outside of Coupon Connection. Disciplinary action will be taken if there are posts to that effect.
Print Wikipost

100% Share promo Dec 02 to Dec 06

Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by Plissken
My wife and I have to fly HKG-Germany-HKG soon. We have no Account with UA but would plan to use the miles for another *A carrier. Is it correct that if we both buy 50.000 miles for 567$ each and share those, we both end up with 100k miles more than enough for a round trip C3-C2-C3 ? Sounds a bit to good to be true except for the availability of award flights...
I assume when you say "We have no Account with UA..." you mean you have no account with US (US Airways) and not UA (United Airlines). If this is the case, then your idea will be a non-starter. Taking part in this promo requires a US account not less than 12 days old, and since this promo ends Dec. 6th, any account opened from now would not be eligible in time to take part in the promo this time around.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:36 am

Unhappy

Guess that means I'm done.

My account is well over 12 days and has 30K+ miles. I created the SO's account yesterday, then read the fine print. Even the receiver's account has to be open more than 12 days.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:40 am

Is the 50,000 miles share bonus limit for the year or just for this promotion?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by Omaha Andy
Is the 50,000 miles share bonus limit for the year or just for this promotion?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Omaha Andy.
It's just for the promo.Enjoy!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:00 am

Am finally going to take advantage of one of these offers with my +1 and share back/forth...we're planning a SE Asia trip for next fall, this could get us to F pretty easily!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:03 am

Smile

Originally Posted by O Sora
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Omaha Andy.
It's just for the promo.Enjoy!
Thanks O Sora!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Plissken
Hey guys,

being more of an hotel buff myself I hope you can help me to figure this out as i want to avoid making a bad investment.

My wife and I have to fly HKG-Germany-HKG soon. We have no Account with UA but would plan to use the miles for another *A carrier. Is it correct that if we both buy 50.000 miles for 567$ each and share those, we both end up with 100k miles more than enough for a round trip C3-C2-C3 ? Sounds a bit to good to be true except for the availability of award flights...

Thanks for clarifying!
Note the restriction about longevity of account activation above. For further clarity, buying and sharing are two separate transactions with separate costs.

Right now, it will cost you $1750 plus taxes and fees to purchase 50K miles; then another $567.50 to share those 50K miles to your wife's account, and another $567.50 for her to share 50K miles back to you. You would each end up with 50K miles at a total cost of just over $3,000--not a good deal at all.

I'd suggest you go ahead and open USDM accounts in your respective names now, then wait for a 100% bonus buy miles promo that will likely come around soon enough, the US-AA merger notwithstanding. Buying 50K miles each then will yield $100K miles in each account with the bonuses at a cost of slightly more than $3,600.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:55 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by sfernando
Note the restriction about longevity of account activation above. For further clarity, buying and sharing are two separate transactions with separate costs.

Right now, it will cost you $1750 plus taxes and fees to purchase 50K miles; then another $567.50 to share those 50K miles to your wife's account, and another $567.50 for her to share 50K miles back to you. You would each end up with 50K miles at a total cost of just over $3,000--not a good deal at all.

I'd suggest you go ahead and open USDM accounts in your respective names now, then wait for a 100% bonus buy miles promo that will likely come around soon enough, the US-AA merger notwithstanding. Buying 50K miles each then will yield $100K miles in each account with the bonuses at a cost of slightly more than $3,600.
Math check:
Purchase 50k = Purchaser|50k Spouse|0
Transfer 50k + Bonus 50k = Purchaser|0 Spouse|100k
Transfer 50k back + Bonus 50k = Purchaser|100k Spouse|50k

So, grand total is 150k miles, not 100k. Potentially still not a good deal. However, everyone should do their own math to see if this makes sense for them.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by jamesb2147
Math check:
Purchase 50k = Purchaser|50k Spouse|0
Transfer 50k + Bonus 50k = Purchaser|0 Spouse|100k
Transfer 50k back + Bonus 50k = Purchaser|100k Spouse|50k

So, grand total is 150k miles, not 100k. Potentially still not a good deal. However, everyone should do their own math to see if this makes sense for them.
Thanks for the math check! Agree with your closing point.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Awkward timing for me. First of all, is it even possible to book star alliance award ticket for next March to Sept (return)? What's the dead line of doing that?

2nd, is this cheaper than buying miles when they were runing 100% bonus as well? Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Procter
Awkward timing for me. First of all, is it even possible to book star alliance award ticket for next March to Sept (return)? What's the dead line of doing that?
No one knows.

2nd, is this cheaper than buying miles when they were runing 100% bonus as well? Thanks.
100% buy bonus 50k miles = USD940
100% share bonus 50k miles = USD567
Old Dec 2, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Yes. I just did something along those lines a week and a half ago.

Yes.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:48 pm

Hi all, my brain is frying for thinking this through too much, hoping someone here has the answer. My other half has an account but 0 mile balance, we would like to get her to 120k. I currently have 120k miles in my account. What is the best (cheapest) way of doing this?

many thanks
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Treefingers
Hi all, my brain is frying for thinking this through too much, hoping someone here has the answer. My other half has an account but 0 mile balance, we would like to get her to 120k. I currently have 120k miles in my account. What is the best (cheapest) way of doing this?

many thanks
The best you can do is share 50K with her so that she ends up with 100K... but of course, you would then be left with only 70K. If she were to share 50K back to you, then you would have 170 and she would have 50. Best you can do. That would cost $567.50 x2.

The only other way to top of either of your accounts would be to each get the sign up bonus with the Barclay's card ( if you don't already have it).
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Treefingers

many thanks
Share 50K with her. She has 100K, you have 70K.
She shares 30K with you. She has 70K, you have 130K.
She applies for Barclays card. She has 105K, you have 130K.
You or she applies for SPG card. Transfer 20K SPG to US Air. You both have 130K.

If you need the miles too soon to do the card apps, your best bet is to do the shares as above and hope for a buy/gift promo soon to get the 50K she needs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.