Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
To check the upgrade list for your flight:

1. Go to the flight status page of the US mobile website

2. Click on the appropriate date and flight number

3. Click on, "upgrade list," on the top right.
Print Wikipost

Standby List and Upgrade List now on US Airways Mobile Website

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by rmohare
They should be separate lists...but they usually clear the upgrade list first so they then have room to seat passengers on standby in C. That's generally my experience. I've been seated in C and then the agent comes back and asks me to move up to F so they can seat a standby passenger in my seat.

YMMV, of course. Sounds like you have a story...do tell...
On a flight yesterday that, at T - 30 minutes (check-in cut off), still had 2 people not checked in with F seats (per the mobile site). I was #1 on the upgrade list (also per the mobile site). So I asked the gate agent when she would clear the upgrade list and she said she would do the standby list first. I suggested that that wasn't correct and she ignored me. Then she cleared someone directly from the standby list into an F seat so I showed her my phone and mentioned that I was following along. There was now one more F seat, and I was still at the top of the upgrade list. She told me she could clear lists however she wanted. I pointed out that while that was true, I could print off the upgrade / standby lists and email them to CS for clarification as to what the process is. That got me the last F seat and a mean look from the GA. The mobile site is a great equalizer.

I believe I had read here before that the required process is that someone must be on the flight before they can be upgraded into F. That suggests the upgrade list gets processes first and then the standby list.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by rmohare
They should be separate lists...but they usually clear the upgrade list first so they then have room to seat passengers on standby in C.
There's one possible exception to that - someone holding a FC ticket would get preference to FC over someone upgrading I would think, even if standing by.

Jim
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Still not in the iPhone app

Although the functionality is apparently still not in the mobile app, nothing prevented me from saving the url for the mobileapp status page as a bookmark in Safari on my iPhone 5. Works just fine and I don't have to keep my laptop out and running just to check the upgrade list. I wonder how many times one of you guys leapfrogged me on the UG list by re-checking in ...
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Works just fine and I don't have to keep my laptop out and running just to check the upgrade list. I wonder how many times one of you guys leapfrogged me on the UG list by re-checking in ...
Is there a way to leapfrog? Do tell..........
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
The answers are in this thread, please let this thread die.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
One caveat to the upgrade trick, it doesn't work if your flight is delayed and a seat becomes available after the original departure time. It tells you that you can't check in after departure time has passed.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ellinj
One caveat to the upgrade trick, it doesn't work if your flight is delayed and a seat becomes available after the original departure time. It tells you that you can't check in after departure time has passed.
That is a good point!

I scored another one of these this morning CLT - IAH. I checked in 24 hours out and was #1 on the upgrade list. All day yesterday no F seats showed as available. This morning when I woke up at 6AM I checked and sure enough it showed 1F. I quickly "changed seats" and was able to select 1D. Woo hoo. Presumably I would have gotten it anyway since I was #1 on the upgrade list but someone checking in that morning who had any elite status could have snagged it had they done their first check-in.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by beofotch
That is a good point!

I scored another one of these this morning CLT - IAH. I checked in 24 hours out and was #1 on the upgrade list. All day yesterday no F seats showed as available. This morning when I woke up at 6AM I checked and sure enough it showed 1F. I quickly "changed seats" and was able to select 1D. Woo hoo. Presumably I would have gotten it anyway since I was #1 on the upgrade list but someone checking in that morning who had any elite status could have snagged it had they done their first check-in.
Looks like I fell "victim" to this trick on my current Las-Clt flight. Ck'd in at t-24 and was satisfied with my #1 upgrade waitlist positioned. Wasn't upgraded at gate, and upon updating myself with this thread,re-checked the waitlist. Now#2, with first psg successful in FC upgrade.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by hdporter
Looks like I fell "victim" to this trick on my current Las-Clt flight. Ck'd in at t-24 and was satisfied with my #1 upgrade waitlist positioned. Wasn't upgraded at gate, and upon updating myself with this thread,re-checked the waitlist. Now#2, with first psg successful in FC upgrade.
If the person upgraded had done so by going through at check in, they wouldn't show up on the upgrade list. Sounds like someone with higher upgrade priority than you was added to the upgrade list and then cleared at the gate.

The only sign you'll see on the upgrade list of the method described earlier is that the number of seats available will decrease. Nobody would show confirmed if they upgraded by re-checking-in.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by gruss
If the person upgraded had done so by going through at check in, they wouldn't show up on the upgrade list. Sounds like someone with higher upgrade priority than you was added to the upgrade list and then cleared at the gate.

The only sign you'll see on the upgrade list of the method described earlier is that the number of seats available will decrease. Nobody would show confirmed if they upgraded by re-checking-in.
This is correct. You weren't skipped over. If they appeared on the list as #1, someone legitimately higher on the pecking order got in front of you in line and lucked out with a gate upgrade.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Any idea if the standby/upgrade lists will appear on the non-mobile site?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by Jim_F
Doesn't really matter as you can get to the mobile site from a non-mobile device. Just use the address at the top of this thread.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Jim_F
http://mobile.usairways.com/

You don't need to be on a mobile device, to use the mobile site.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but is the option to add yourself to the standby list typically available for non-US elites in the app or on the website? I can see there are people already on the standby list for my flight tomorrow but can't figure out how to add myself to it. Wondering if the web functionality is only for US elites, and if I have to add myself to the list at the airport.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but is the option to add yourself to the standby list typically available for non-US elites in the app or on the website? I can see there are people already on the standby list for my flight tomorrow but can't figure out how to add myself to it. Wondering if the web functionality is only for US elites, and if I have to add myself to the list at the airport.
for us elites it gives you the option at checkin. No idea how it works for AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.