Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
To check the upgrade list for your flight:

1. Go to the flight status page of the US mobile website

2. Click on the appropriate date and flight number

3. Click on, "upgrade list," on the top right.
Print Wikipost

Standby List and Upgrade List now on US Airways Mobile Website

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
I really love using this feature during irregular ops. For instance, today I was at LAX when all of the crazy stuff you have heard on the news happened. While I called the preferred desk to be accommodated realizing I would miss my connection, it was still really interesting to see how my flight which had over 150 passengers checked in out of approximately 190 seats, the flight which still hasn't taken off yet now only has about 64 checked in passengers. Thus, as a transcontinental flight from LAX to PHL, pretty much each passenger will have a row to themselves since no one is listed on the standby list.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by beofotch
The major upside here - is that this is a really convienient way to monitor flights to see if an upgrade becomes available, even if you are way low on the list. If it does, just check-in again and it will give you the upgrade seat way ahead of everyone else.

I did it today for both my wife and I and it worked (although we both were at the top of the upgrade list and would have presumably been upgraded at the gate - we were able to lock it in about 6 hours in advance).
How do you check-in again?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
iztok, just like you did the first time. Follow the check-in online links. "Just Change Seats" becomes an option.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Flyer78
iztok, just like you did the first time. Follow the check-in online links. "Just Change Seats" becomes an option.
By doing this, if you're already number 1 in the upgrade list, could this bump you to the bottom of the list?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
By doing this, if you're already number 1 in the upgrade list, could this bump you to the bottom of the list?
I was just wondering the same thing, seeing as the list is by status then check-in time. Seems to me like you could lose your position within your status group.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
I was just wondering the same thing, seeing as the list is by status then check-in time. Seems to me like you could lose your position within your status group.
In my experience - no. I have done this multiple times and each time I have been kept at 1 in the upgrade list even if "just change seats" yielded no first class.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
The only side effect I have noticed is getting multiple copies of the boarding passes sent to the app.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I love this feature very much but today from DFW-PHL I was first on the list and 1F went out empty. No attempt to move anyone up to the seat and the GA just chit chatted with the FA while the other FA confirmed 3 empties with the F seat. They then closed the door and we sat there for a while before being backed out. I was in 9C ready to move up knowing I was first on the list but had to sit in coach while the seat went out empty which is very frustrating

So just because you are first on the list doesn't mean they will move you if there is a spot.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
I love this feature very much but today from DFW-PHL I was first on the list and 1F went out empty. No attempt to move anyone up to the seat and the GA just chit chatted with the FA while the other FA confirmed 3 empties with the F seat. They then closed the door and we sat there for a while before being backed out. I was in 9C ready to move up knowing I was first on the list but had to sit in coach while the seat went out empty which is very frustrating

So just because you are first on the list doesn't mean they will move you if there is a spot.
Perhaps 1F was broken? Or someone had soiled it? If it was 552, then there's an unaccounted for seat on the IAH-PHX leg and the PHX-SMF leg too.

Last edited by AlphaTango; Nov 4, 2013 at 12:30 pm
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:30 pm

Perhaps 1F was broken? Or someone had soiled it?
Nope it was operational and sitting there with it's little pillow and blanket and the seat belts crossed as I left when I asked the FA about it. Just said "That's the Gate Agents job to move you up not ours" as I was leaving the plane. I've been told that before so I figure that's the case. I just wish they had done their job and done the move up. It's the second time it's happened to me where a seat went out empty, thankfully this time I didn't have to stare at it the entire flight like I did last time when I was crammed in 4E.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:42 pm

Nope it was operational and sitting there with it's little pillow and blanket and the seat belts crossed as I left when I asked the FA about it. Just said "That's the Gate Agents job to move you up not ours" as I was leaving the plane. I've been told that before so I figure that's the case. I just wish they had done their job and done the move up. It's the second time it's happened to me where a seat went out empty, thankfully this time I didn't have to stare at it the entire flight like I did last time when I was crammed in 4E.
If it was 552, it definitely looks like a seat is blocked on that plane. IAH-PHX has one seat available for sale and is capacity 12/checked in 10/available 1 on the mobile site. PHX-SMF has no F seats for sale and is 12/11/0.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:14 pm

If it was 552, it definitely looks like a seat is blocked on that plane. IAH-PHX has one seat available for sale and is capacity 12/checked in 10/available 1 on the mobile site. PHX-SMF has no F seats for sale and is 12/11/0.
It was 552. They didn't have anything on it like I've seen in the past but if it was out of commission for some reason I feel better Just wish she would have said so. They did show 12 checked in though and not 11 like I had seen in the past.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: None
It is the gate agents job to move people up - they have the list of who qualifies and in what order and the FAs don't. If someone no-showed, it may have been a case of the agent not taking the time to move someone up. They're under great pressure to get the door closed at least 5 minutes before scheduled departure and need a good reason if they don't accomplish that.

Jim
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:04 am

I totally understand Jim that they want to get the door closed. Just it seems they have time to sit there and talk about their morning but not move someone up. Again I'm not sure if the seat was out of commission (when I checked it it showed 0 checked in and then 12 checked in shortly before the flight on the mobile app) but it didn't appear so and so I think he had the 2 minutes it would have taken to move someone up. I submitted a constructional criticism email so at least they knew it happened but it just would have been nice to gotten the move up when it's so few and far between that it actually happens that I get moved up anymore even at Platinum now that I'm flying PHX-PHL all the time.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...I submitted a constructional criticism email so at least they knew it happened ...
^

That it happened twice would get my juices going too ...

If it happened to me (knowing there are empty seats showing on mobile app and being first on the upgrade list), I would have lingered by the podium until boarding is over and say sweetly to GA something like, "Well, looks like Christmas came early for me with upgrade, would you mind changing my seat, please?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.