Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
The current state of affairs for international arrivals at LAX is as under:

Due to on-going construction at Los Angeles International Airport, American’s operation will be affected over the course of the next year or more. For the foreseeable future, American’s international flight arrivals, with the exception of its Shanghai plane, will land and unload passengers at Terminal 4. The international passengers will then use nearby stairs to access the ramp where they will board busses and be transported to the new Federal Inspection Service facility at the new Thomas Bradley International Terminal. American’s Shanghai flight will arrive at TBIT. All of American’s international departures will remain at Terminal 4 for the near future.

American is working closely with Los Angeles Airport Authority officials to lessen the impact airport construction has on customers and airline employees. The construction projects are necessary to enhance our customer travel experience in the future. We appreciate everyone’s understanding.(Source; HT: gleff)
It is understood that PVG flights will be arriving directly to TBIT.
Print Wikipost

Changes for LAX international arrivals / bus to TBIT for formalities (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

On September 18, 2013 LAX will open a new Customs area in the new Bradley West Terminal. On this same date, the tunnel between American’s terminal (T4) and the International Customs facility will close. As a result of the closure, Gate 41 and Gate 43 in Terminal 4 will no longer be used for international arrivals and in most cases, departures. This construction is expected to last approximately 18 months.

All International arrivals will arrive at a remote terminal and take a bus to clear customs at Bradley West Terminal.
All outbound customers who will be utilizing a remote terminal departure gate, will be boarded from Gate 45 in American’s main terminal (regardless of International/Domestic)
The remote location is approximately 2 1/2; miles from the main terminal and takes approximately 10 minutes to get to/from
Customers will be boarded from AA Gate 45 starting 45 minutes prior to departure
Last bus will depart 20 min before departure
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the heads up. I presume that this "new Bradley West" terminal will have GE Kiosks?

Cheers.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:23 am
Suspended

Exclamation Thanks for heads up, I will avoid LAX until this is done.

Originally Posted by hillrider
On September 18, 2013 LAX will open a new Customs area in the new Bradley West Terminal. On this same date, the tunnel between American’s terminal (T4) and the International Customs facility will close. As a result of the closure, Gate 41 and Gate 43 in Terminal 4 will no longer be used for international arrivals and in most cases, departures. This construction is expected to last approximately 18 months.

All International arrivals will arrive at a remote terminal and take a bus to clear customs at Bradley West Terminal.
All outbound customers who will be utilizing a remote terminal departure gate, will be boarded from Gate 45 in American’s main terminal (regardless of International/Domestic)
The remote location is approximately 2 1/2; miles from the main terminal and takes approximately 10 minutes to get to/from
Customers will be boarded from AA Gate 45 starting 45 minutes prior to departure
Last bus will depart 20 min before departure
This is very valuable information. I always loved the AA CBP
At T4 as one of best in US. I shall avoid LAX until this is done. Sounds awful.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:20 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
The arrival procedure I can understand. What I do not understand is why they cannot tug the aircraft back to T4 for the departure.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
And I've got a transatlantic to and from LAX scheduled for December. Here's to hoping a more effective solution is sorted by then.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
The arrival procedure I can understand. What I do not understand is why they cannot tug the aircraft back to T4 for the departure.
Perhaps it was determined that towing the aircraft 2.5 miles would add time that the schedule cannot accommodate? Pure speculation of course...
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread title updated slightly to make clear that the use of gate 45 will involve busing passengers to a remote stand.

~Moderator
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Since AA has a lack-of-sufficient-gates problem at T4, this construction is a convenient excuse to use more remotes stands.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Will the QF BNE flight depart from a remote stand or move over to TBIT during this?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
This information is out of date, remote gates aren't being used anymore.

Flights will arrive at T4 and then be bussed over to TBIT for Customs.

Last edited by PainCorp; Sep 19, 2013 at 7:16 am
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp
This information is out of date, remote gates aren't being used anymore.

Flights will arrive at T4 and then be bussed over to TBIT for Customs.
If you provide a source (@:-)) I can update the thread title and we can create a wikipost to this effect.

~Moderator
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Microwave
If you provide a source (@:-)) I can update the thread title and we can create a wikipost to this effect.

~Moderator
Not that this is a definitive source, but I just looked up Flight Status for AA137 (LHR-LAX) and it says arrival at Gate 41 (which would be T4). Similarly, AA136 (LAX-LHR) will depart from Gate 41.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Not that this is a definitive source, but I just looked up Flight Status for AA137 (LHR-LAX) and it says arrival at Gate 41 (which would be T4). Similarly, AA136 (LAX-LHR) will depart from Gate 41.
I've added a "maybe"; it definitely looks like a different solution has been found to this problem. Once this is firmed up we can clarify further.

~Moderator
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
This will suck, but on the bright side, when all is said and done, all AA international departures/arrivals will be switching to TBIT, which will be connected within security to T4.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Surely, a much better temporary solution to anything involving buses would be to just reopen the T4 immigration and customs that was recently closed.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I'm surprised nobody has posted this - maybe they'll need to close T41 (and T43 is next to T41?) for construction (like a new tunnel - not that what they currently have should be called a tunnel... or maybe the current TBIT wing), and thus using the (mostly) closed CBP in T4 with int'l arrivals to T4 isn't an option?

I've used the bus from TBIT scenario before (maybe CX uses it for LAX-HKG? or was it a JL LAX-NRT even though all other times I've taken that flight it's right from TBIT), and it does kind of suck... but if the payoff is a TBIT-T4 airside connector then I'm OK with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.