Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buses at DCA Gate 35A are Disgusting...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:38 pm

Ah... Nothing like first world problems to take your mind off the real ones.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by ellinj
new busses at DCA today, what can we complain about next?
Are they busses suitable for moving people with luggage? As in, more like a rental car shuttle than a DC metro bus? Wide aisle, racks, etc?

I mean, maybe they shouldn't. The bus will be nicer than the CRJ.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:59 am

Buses at DCA Gate 35A are Disgusting...

Same buses the airport uses for transporting employees. Fortunately the airport is in the process of upgrading all of their buses so hopefully they'll start using some newer ones on the transfer shuttle.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:17 am

Why does anyone even transfer airside at DCA? If you have precheck it is on average just about as a fast to go back through security. I've been stuck on one of those buses for 20 minutes before because they were moving planes around.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Why does anyone even transfer airside at DCA? If you have precheck it is on average just about as a fast to go back through security. I've been stuck on one of those buses for 20 minutes before because they were moving planes around.
A fair point but not everyone has pre-check (including me) and I've waited in a 25 minute security line at DCA. Also, this is about Gate 35A which take you out to the CRJs on the ramp. No way around those buses.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Associated Article

http://www.airportimprovement.com/co...?article=00564
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Also, this is about Gate 35A which take you out to the CRJs on the ramp. No way around those buses.
Ah yes, yes, that's right. Forgot that part as I have been sufficiently fortunate to avoid them on all but one occasion.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I'm actually surprised to read this - perhaps I'm just not connecting at peak times there, but I've never waited more than a few minutes for the inter-terminal buses. I've never even considered exiting the secure area.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Are they busses suitable for moving people with luggage? As in, more like a rental car shuttle than a DC metro bus? Wide aisle, racks, etc?

I mean, maybe they shouldn't. The bus will be nicer than the CRJ.
Big open bus, mainly standing room, plenty of room for people and luggage, Same ones they use in PHL to get to terminal F I believe.

http://www.ugurel-ltd.com/Resimler/I...bus/2700-3.jpg

ETA, the article linked up thread indicates they are a smaller version of the one used at PHL.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
Regional Concourse

After the New Terminal was opened in 1997, there were plans on the books to build a 10-gate Regional Concourse essentially where the RJs park now. It was going to be connected by busses - but there was always the option to build a tunnel. US Air approved the design but the slowdown in the business in the late 90's (culminated with 9-11) put the plans into the deep drawer.

The disaster which is 35A was definitely not designed as a permanent function.

Also, part of the complete airport build-out was demolition of the "Banjo" (Terminal A) and a 12-gate addition to the Old Main Terminal.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by ellinj
new busses at DCA today, what can we complain about next?
Choosing to cut the VPS flight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.