Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways FA arrested at FCO (gun in the trolley) (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Fortunately, he was fired. I don't want this guy as a FA on my flight....
Good! He won't be on your flight. He have to remain in jail for a quite some time. I just don't think he ever release from jail. They won't have bail him out.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:11 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Here's the story:
Said FEMALE f/a had been on a trip with her husband. They have a concealed weapons license and when they went on a road trip, used the roller board the f/a uses. There is a nice hidden compartment that the gun was place. Upon returning from the road trip, said f/a (or husband) forgot to remove the gun and ammunition and the gun stayed in the bag. When she packed her bag for work, she forgot the gun was there, packed her bag, and went to work. We don't go thru security so it wasn't caught in the US. She didn't fidget or wasn't nervous at security in Rome. It was an "aw, crap" moment, the gun was seen at security, and she was arrested. There was no intent to do harm. Just a stupid mistake...one that may screw all crew members.

In the meantime, the officials there wouldn't let our Italian speaker stay to interpret. Our manager is there now.

This is the info has presented to a friend of the person arrested.

A stupid oversight with huge consequences.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation What is the standard of care for an FA?

Originally Posted by flight62
Here's the story:
Said FEMALE f/a had been on a trip with her husband. Just a stupid mistake...one that may screw all crew members.
In the meantime, the officials there wouldn't let our Italian speaker stay to interpret. Our manager is there now.
An oversight?? I don't agree. FA's are in a position of authority, responsible for the enforcement of FAA regulations. IF FA's demonstrate reckless behavior, what signal does this send to travelers? IMO they bear a higher standard of care, similar to physicians, lawyers, etc.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:51 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Only giving info, but...

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
An oversight?? I don't agree. FA's are in a position of authority, responsible for the enforcement of FAA regulations. IF FA's demonstrate reckless behavior, what signal does this send to travelers? IMO they bear a higher standard of care, similar to physicians, lawyers, etc.
I agree with you 100%!! Don't yell at the messenger! She screwed up big time and should be fired. Bottom line. She placed all parties involved in danger. I'm only telling you all WHAT happened. When it comes to things like this, ignorance is NOT bliss.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
While I feel that a FA should be held to higher standards than the average passenger due to their easy access to restricted areas, I'm just stunned that ANY gun owner can just randomly forget where they've stowed their gun, or even that they've got their gun with them at all. Makes me really uneasy.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dcpatti
I'm just stunned that ANY gun owner can just randomly forget where they've stowed their gun, or even that they've got their gun with them at all. Makes me really uneasy.
Best quote of this thread.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flight62
Here's the story:
Said FEMALE f/a had been on a trip with her husband. They have a concealed weapons license and when they went on a road trip, used the roller board the f/a uses. There is a nice hidden compartment that the gun was place. Upon returning from the road trip, said f/a (or husband) forgot to remove the gun and ammunition and the gun stayed in the bag. When she packed her bag for work, she forgot the gun was there, packed her bag, and went to work. We don't go thru security so it wasn't caught in the US. She didn't fidget or wasn't nervous at security in Rome. It was an "aw, crap" moment, the gun was seen at security, and she was arrested. There was no intent to do harm. Just a stupid mistake...one that may screw all crew members.

Let me see...
  • Gun in hidden compartment - make anyone nervous?
  • Does a concealed weapon permit in the US permit one to carry a weapon in Italy?
  • "We don't go through security" - why on earth not? Especially after the Jetblue breakdown - what is to guarantee that my FA won't come unhinged (could happen and has happened) - and happens to be armed?
  • "No intent". How do you know?
  • "stupid mistake": No - a great catch by the Italian security crew

Please. Stop making excuses. I hope this person gets what's coming to them under Italian law.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Unfortunately, he was fired from his job.[/url]
OMG. Fortunately, s/he was fired. Such fools do not belong in the air. On the ground, behind bars, would be ok.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:35 am

First, there's no such thing as a "hidden compartment" in a piece of luggage. We're not talking about a wall safe here. If the bag is stolen the thief will find the gun eventually -- probably sooner than later. And let's not forget that the gun was left unattended and unsecured in the cabin of at least one transatlantic flight. Fan-freakin'-tastic.

Second, if you don't know where your gun is at all times you're too stupid/irresponsible/reckless to own one. And also too stupid/irresponsible/reckless to be in charge of others' safety.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
As a gun owner I have NEVER not known where my guns are. What she did is not a responsible gun owner imo.

Time for all crew members to go through TSA like the rest of us. Note I didn't say security as that's for another thread in TSS.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Taking a gun on a plane, and especially out of the country -- even with the necessary paperwork -- is a HUGE responsibility. You had better know where that gun is at all times, or the consequences can be severe. As we say in Hollywood, "This was a one-take shot." (No pun intended.)

I'm sorry that the FA had to pay a heavy price for her absentmindedness (for lack of a better word), but this should serve as a lesson to all passengers and airline personnel who wish to take their legally-owned firearms with them when they travel by air.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
As a gun owner I have NEVER not known where my guns are. What she did is not a responsible gun owner imo.
This is the problem with many gun owners...they are NOT responsible. Just look at all the stories lately of little kids killing themselves or someone else because they found a loaded gun lying around. While I'm sure there are plenty of responsible gun owners like you, there are WAY too many that are not. There are reports on a DAILY basis of people trying to bring guns through security and just saying "oh, i forgot it was there". I think anyone who ever does that should lose any firearms privileges for life as they have proven that they aren't responsible enough for it.

I'm glad this FA was fired as they showed they do not have the ability to handle their job if they can't remember what they did with their gun. One job qualification that must be required of a FA is being able to be responsible.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by scnzzz
  • "stupid mistake": No - a great catch by the Italian security crew
The two are not mutually exclusive, you know. I actually believe it WAS a stupid mistake and not an intentional act, because if the FA had been planning to do something with that gun, don't you think she would have done it prior to having to go through security at FCO?

If you've got ill intent, and know you are going to breeze through security on the way to FCO but face harder scrutiny on the way back, hanging on to your weapon till your return trip isn't effective.

Of course that doesn't mean she shouldn't be fired. I don't think anyone who is that careless with a gun should have any level of restricted access.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by cwe84
US Airways F/As can use Known Crew Member to enter the airport....
I thought I read somewhere that it's not available at all airports/checkpoints?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by dcpatti
While I feel that a FA should be held to higher standards than the average passenger due to their easy access to restricted areas, I'm just stunned that ANY gun owner can just randomly forget where they've stowed their gun, or even that they've got their gun with them at all. Makes me really uneasy.
+1

In this situation, I hold an FA to a higher standard than an ordinary passenger, but I hold any gun owner to an even higher standard at all times. That's just the responsibility that goes with gun ownership - knowing where your weapon is secured at all times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.