FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   USAirways 500 bonus miles for taking surveys with The Whiteboard - a scam? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1442395-usairways-500-bonus-miles-taking-surveys-whiteboard-scam.html)

vsevolod4 Feb 25, 2013 9:33 pm

USAirways 500 bonus miles for taking surveys with The Whiteboard - a scam?

Received the following solicitation in the email:

Get miles for your thoughts
The Whiteboard lets you earn miles for taking surveys. Get 250 bonus miles when you sign up and another 250 miles when you complete your first survey. You'll earn Whiteboard Points for taking surveys tailored to your interests and then you can redeem those points for miles.
It's free to participate and your privacy is always guaranteed.
Signed up. After signing up, I had ZERO points. Did not see the 250 points.
More disturbingly, I need to "earn" 2500 points with "The Whiteboard" before I can convert these to Dividend Miles. This they tell you AFTER you've answered forty questions about your personal and professional life.

Furthermore, there is no indication about how many points you get for your 2500 points - is it one to one, or is it some crappy ratio. It smells to me like the scandalous "e-miles" program (where if you didn't hit the "threshold" you lost your points annually).

Anyone out there have any experience with these guys? Should I cancel my "membership" with prejudice?

aurigakb Feb 26, 2013 2:07 am

I was wondering about this.

dcpatti Feb 26, 2013 7:14 am

I can't speak for the validity of this particular survey site, but I do know most of the partner shopping/survey/web stuff miles do not post automatically. It can take a couple weeks if not more. Check the old Grand Slam threads for some feedback on various activity posting times.

I don't know whether the Whiteboard site overall is worth joining or not, but I wouldn't be thinking "scam" if it has only been a couple days and you've not seen the miles yet.

As with all things that earn miles, keep good records, screenshot everything, and give it a reasonable amount of time before worrying. In the past, when I've done stuff like this and not seen the miles straight away, the vast majority of problems have been resolved with a single email to US and a screenshot of the offer.

midcitybeth Feb 26, 2013 7:42 am

miles wont post automatically, you have to answer 2500 points worth of surveys, then you can request a sweep into your us airways account. no idea how long it will take to accumulate that many miles.

aglasgow Feb 26, 2013 7:59 am

Originally Posted by midcitybeth (Post 20319374)
miles wont post automatically, you have to answer 2500 points worth of surveys, then you can request a sweep into your us airways account. no idea how long it will take to accumulate that many miles.

I got the same offer; 500 miles for two surveys sounds like a pretty good deal. I will be curious to see how difficult it is to get the last 2K in order to execute a transfer. Wish we could get some insider info on this one. If I decide to jump, I'll report back here for data point.

kellio33 Feb 26, 2013 11:02 am

Check the Delta board for more info. I think a lot of people were not pleased with this company.

Billy Mumphrey Feb 26, 2013 11:18 am

Originally Posted by kellio33 (Post 20320595)
Check the Delta board for more info. I think a lot of people were not pleased with this company.

I signed up for this on Delta about a year ago. The offer was 1000 miles for completing the first survey. I didn't get a single survey for 2 months and e-mailed the Whiteboard to ask why. Never got a response but I did get 3 or 4 surveys after that. I got the 1000 miles and had enough survey credit for 500 additional miles. Last month I got an e-mail that Whiteboard was discontinuing its participation with Delta and I closed my account.

I didn't think this was worth the time involved and won't sign up again, but others may disagree.

dangw20 Feb 27, 2013 10:33 pm

I also signed up for Whiteboard when it was with Delta. Was barely ever sent a survey and quickly realized it was worthless. It was only a couple weeks ago that Delta announced they would no longer be using Whiteboard, I find it interesting that almost immediately after Delta gets rid of them US picks them up.

Anyway, I don't think I'll bother.

bosman Feb 28, 2013 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by dangw20 (Post 20331107)
I also signed up for Whiteboard when it was with Delta. Was barely ever sent a survey and quickly realized it was worthless. It was only a couple weeks ago that Delta announced they would no longer be using Whiteboard, I find it interesting that almost immediately after Delta gets rid of them US picks them up.

Anyway, I don't think I'll bother.

+1. Signed up through Delta and filled out all the profile questions. Since then I have received maybe 3 surveys in 5(?) months, so don't expect to ever see points transfer. Don't waste your time.

ACC2008 Mar 1, 2013 6:31 am

Scam

This does sounds like a scam - you sign up, we will send you (may be may be not) miles in 6-8 weeks - you may remember, you may not.
But do give us about 20-30 minutes of your time for the survey.

What is wrong with this picture?

dangw20 Mar 1, 2013 8:49 am

Originally Posted by ACC2008 (Post 20338864)
This does sounds like a scam - you sign up, we will send you (may be may be not) miles in 6-8 weeks - you may remember, you may not.
But do give us about 20-30 minutes of your time for the survey.

What is wrong with this picture?

The bigger problem is the 250 miles post to your Whiteboard account, not US Airways. And you have to have 2500 Whiteboard miles to convert them to US Air, which is nearly impossible.

Richard1148 Apr 1, 2013 3:38 pm

I just received the following email:

"Dear Richard,

We need your help! You have completed your first survey, and we would like to process your bonus Dividend Miles. But we do not have your Dividend Miles account number.

Please send an email with that information to [email protected] so we can process the bonus miles.

Thank you for being a part of The Whiteboard community!"

Maybe there is some hope for a few miles.

tortoisemiler Jun 24, 2013 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by vsevolod4 (Post 20317464)
Furthermore, there is no indication about how many points you get for your 2500 points - is it one to one, or is it some crappy ratio.

Here's the information they provided on that:

2500 Whiteboard Points = 1350 miles

5000 Whiteboard Points = 2700 miles

7500 Whiteboard Points = 4050 miles

10000 Whiteboard Points = 5400 miles

CG Jun 24, 2013 7:53 pm

I've found that the survey's are always "full" after I answer the 5-10 screening questions. I even happened to be at my computer when the survey email hit my account and immediately clicked on it. I find that hard to believe.

PA Pilot Jun 24, 2013 9:35 pm

I have you to complete a survey since signing up a few months ago. There are either always Full or I don't qualify after answering some screening questions CG stated. I did get the signup bonus of 250 points, it was posted as United Samples Enrollment Bonus.

I don't think it is a scam, but it definitely is not the easiest way to earn extra miles.