Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
What makes you say this? I also have a *A award ticket booked in late November. Isn't this a problem if something goes wrong during the trip (i.e. one of the flights is late and I miss a connection)--don't you have to work with the issuing carrier in those situations? But in this case, the issuing carrier will no longer be in *A, will they be able to help?
Interesting and as I hold ticketed trip to Roatan in February I'll be watching this space.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ugh. If US/AA makes one pay YQ on award tickets for other OW airlines, I'd seriously look at ditching to UA [and I live in PHL].

Here is why. NYC-JNB in F, 100k Each way, with $860 in taxes/fees! ...? It'll probably be cheaper if one can find F availability on AA across the pond, but still. That would be almost 2k in taxes and fees for a round trip ticket. Earlier this year, there was a ticket for purchase in C for about that amount!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
How will I be able to do 90k north asia redemptions without USDM? Seriously disappointing news.
This isnt news. We've all known about this forever.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick
I don't think that was the implication...
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:11 am

OW is definitely a step down from *A from an award travel standpoint. From my USA based point of view as someone who normally books C/J awards:

Cons:

The main problem for US based flyers is having BA as the major European carrier in the alliance. The fuel surcharges on BA TATL are completely insane which limits options from NA to Europe. Taking BA out of the TATL picture certainly lessens the "quality vs quantity" argument. Go price out any dull TATL itinerary on aa.com using BA metal and check out the astronomical fees/taxes if you have any doubts about this.

Iberia, Finnair and Air Berlin are options to avoid the fuel surcharge but they all have a tiny presence in the US, more similar to OS/LX/TK.

In Asia, while CX, JL, and MH are excellent they (+AA) have a much smaller TPAC and intra-Asia footprint than the vast OZ/NH/CA/AC/UA/TG/SQ (and now BR) options available via Star. Not sure how anyone can argue this point.

Routing rules on AA are not as favorable as US. Again I cant imagine that even the most shameless AApologist could argue this point. Simply take a look at the itins people regularly put together in the main US *A thread if you have any doubt. 90k US miles + nominal taxes for essentially mini-RTW trips.

Pros of One World and AA:

Booking process is less of a crap shoot than dealing with US. Phone agents are far more capable than US. Booking awards is easy and straightforward - words which would not be used to describe experiences dealing with US.

AA C availability on their own metal is quite good in my experience.

Far more functional website vs US

Overall AA/Oneworld are certainly decent but options are definitely more limited than US/*A.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:18 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
I'll share more info from the employee side as I get it. For now, the various US/AA transition teams are working hard to get the ball rolling on Day 1. I have been very impressed with what I have seen. I wouldn't assume anything will be the AA or US way until you see it written in stone. I can tell you DP and all the new American team are working hard to make American the best. This is no longer the old US Airways/ AWA LCC way of running an airline. A new day has dawned. I for one and happy to never have to see the words "low cost carrier" again.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Fanjet
While I would give Star a slight edge in Europe, it is really because of LH. Most of the other carriers have a much smaller footprint. TP, LO, OS, SK, SN, LX, A3. And putting aside the YQ issue, BA is close to LH in size. AB is the 6th largest carrier in Europe IIRC, and LH is the only Star carrier larger than it. Well, unless you consider TK to be a European carrier. And Star's edge over OW is mainly in eastern Europe. For western Europe, BA, IB, and AB provide a lot of destination options.

And Star redemption is better with UA than with US, given that UA allows for one way travel, and the absence of an automatic $50 award redemption fee.
BA & IB does not even come into consideration because of it's YQ. Take that away and you have hardly anything. Plus add LHR's high taxes. Include them and you have carriers at the edges of the continent, not in the center.

And SK and LX are pretty decent carriers with long haul flights and reasonable availability in Y at least. The other carriers provide decent coverage within Europe. 1W does not even hold a candle in front of Star when it comes to Europe.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Ahahahahahahaha... oh you're serious.

So let's see... Air Tahiti Nui is a partner of AA and I see award space, what if I fly them from LAX to CDG then connect to BA on CDG-LHR? Oh wait, can't do that.

I know, I want to take advantage of Oneworld's tremendous route network and fly CX on their new route from LA to Hong Kong to Male... oh sorry, can't do that either.

Oh, well at least I can book a simple round trip from Beijing to Sydney via Tokyo Narita on JAL, right? Wrong again...

Yeah, I can definitely see how AA miles are so much easier to use.
Refused because of a lack of published fares? That drives me nuts and I hope this stops if a merger happens.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick
I was bemoaning the lack of a suitable USDM replacement for *A redemption.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
Have you "priced" out an award trip on Lufthansa lately?
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Why? How much did it price when you tried?
bump. This is the second post about LH taxes I have seen recently. Would appreciate if you could let us know what happened with your booking.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
I am going to be grumpy to quite grumpy if my Thanksgiving trip from IAD-GRU on UA doesn't net me a single mile... Although I've been contemplating defecting anyway so this could swing the scales a little. I hate leaving 20,000 miles on the table...
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Mod note:

As indicated several times in this thread, until we have concrete news--such as a press release--any merger related speculation is to be conducted in this thread.

There are multiple other forums here on Flyertalk for discussion about the Star Alliance and One World Alliance--

Star Alliance: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/
oneworld: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/

And as always if you have a moderator request--either use the, "alert a moderator to this post," feature or send a PM. Discussion of moderator actions is not permitted in the forums on Flyertalk.

Thanks.

aztimm
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by flight62
I'll share more info from the employee side as I get it. For now, the various US/AA transition teams are working hard to get the ball rolling on Day 1. I have been very impressed with what I have seen. I wouldn't assume anything will be the AA or US way until you see it written in stone. I can tell you DP and all the new American team are working hard to make American the best. This is no longer the old US Airways/ AWA LCC way of running an airline. A new day has dawned. I for one and happy to never have to see the words "low cost carrier" again.
Check out this thread on airliners.net: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ain/5827230/1/
Specifically reply #1 with the notes from the earnings call. Under the "Other" section is note stating "Plan to use similar playbook that has made US succeed applied to a larger network". I think that note means the "old US Airways/ AWA LCC way of running an airline" that made US successful (read: profitable) will likely continue with the new AA. Will it make new AA profitable? Only time will tell, but I think DP and his team will try it.

Last edited by austin_res; Jul 25, 2013 at 9:43 am
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:06 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
What makes you say this? I also have a *A award ticket booked in late November. Isn't this a problem if something goes wrong during the trip (i.e. one of the flights is late and I miss a connection)--don't you have to work with the issuing carrier in those situations? But in this case, the issuing carrier will no longer be in *A, will they be able to help?
Once the ticket is issued you belong to the carrier that is on the ticket.

Not to worry ^
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Once the ticket is issued you belong to the carrier that is on the ticket.

Not to worry ^
For changes outside the 14 days before departure, the issuing carrier of the ticket is responsable. After the involving ticketing carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.