Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: None
I would think that Day 1 would be the day that all approvals are in place. Not much of anything can happen before that.

US had said at least a month ago that the first change FFers would see would be the ability to earn US miles on "new" AA flights and vice versa - a blanket code share. The DOT and European authorities would need to approve the merger for that to happen.

Jim
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
EU Regulators to AA/BA/IB JV: Drop one PHL-LHR slot to Approve US-AA Merger

My money is on the impending DL/VS JV to pick up the PHL-LHR slot pair. Thoughts?

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...ir_route_.html

"US Airways Group and American Airlines have offered to give up a pair of landing and takeoff slots at London's Heathrow Airport to a competitor that would fly between Philadelphia and London. European Union antitrust regulators have one concern: that after the $11 billion merger of US Airways and American, the new American, as the airline will be called, could substantially hike airfares between London and Philadelphia.

A competitor airline would likely want an earlier time and select Heathrow slot times now used for flights from New York, Chicago, or some other city. The airport losing the arrival and takeoff slots would have one fewer flight to London. Instead, Philadelphia would get the slots, and an additional flight, to satisfy EU regulators' concerns."

Last edited by SOBE ER DOC; Jul 24, 2013 at 6:08 pm Reason: I can't spell
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Am I the only one who got a sinking feeling in their gut when they saw the November 1 join date, went to oneworld.com, saw the tail fins of all the 1W members, and asked myself - who the hell are these airlines??????

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Jul 24, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ITRADE
Am I the only one who got a sinking feeling in their gut when they say the November 1 join date, went to oneworld.com, saw the tail fins of all the 1W members, and asked myself - who the hell are these airlines??????
OW has a number of rather good airlines:

BA
CX
QF

QR is joining next year.

These four carriers alone are some of the finest in the sky and can get you virtually anywhere you'd want to go. Quality over quantity.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Am I the only one who got a sinking feeling in their gut when they say the November 1 join date, went to oneworld.com, saw the tail fins of all the 1W members, and asked myself - who the hell are these airlines??????
For anyone who has led a sheltered life, "these airlines" are:

airberlin
American Airlines
British Airways
Cathay Pacific
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines
LAN
Malaysia Airlines
Qantas
Royal Jordanian
S7 Airlines.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:34 pm

In addition to AA/BA, you've got JAL & Cathay Pacific (Asia), LAN (S America), Quantas (Australia, S Pacific/New Zealand), Royal Jordanian (Middle East) and the others.

Jim
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
That was my first reaction, too, when the merger was announced a while back. But it's the strict award-redemption rules of AA that -- if adopted -- really give me that sinking feeling.

Last edited by tommyleo; Jul 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:40 pm

Delta is a possibility - originate in PHL with a change of gage in JFK. UA is a possibility although not as likely. The LHR slot was a divestiture required for approval of the AA/BA JV which US received from AA (MIA-LHR). It makes sense that the slot received from AA be given up.

What I find amusing is that US is fighting so hard to keep all the DCA slots but willingly gives up a LHR slot.

Jim
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
These four carriers alone are some of the finest in the sky and can get you virtually anywhere you'd want to go. Quality over quantity.
Quality over quantity is a fine concept, but much less fine when you're looking to redeem miles for travel during a specific time window and suddenly have half as many carriers in play.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Why are you amused? DCA is a gold mine - government fares, attorneys, contractors, consultants.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
My money is on the impending DL/VA JV to pick up the PHL-LHR slot pair. Thoughts?
Why should DL fly in coop with VA (Virgin Australia) between PHL and LHR?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
My sinking feeling is that I have an award RTW trip in F/C on US, UA, TK, SG, and OZ booked for November 5 through November 16. Am I screwed??
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kochleffel
For anyone who has led a sheltered life, "these airlines" are:

airberlin
American Airlines
British Airways
Cathay Pacific
Finnair
Iberia
Japan Airlines
LAN
Malaysia Airlines
Qantas
Royal Jordanian
S7 Airlines.
There are also another eleven airlines outside of oneworld where one can redeem AA miles. Really, the sky is not falling.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp

Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are also another eleven airlines outside of oneworld where one can redeem AA miles. Really, the sky is not falling.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp

I think when current DM members start seeing the fuel surcharges on award travel by OW members - they will think the sky is falling.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:53 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by shawn67
I think when current DM members start seeing the fuel surcharges on award travel by OW members - they will think the sky is falling.
Have you "priced" out an award trip on Lufthansa lately?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.