Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I hear you, I used US Airways from SYR to MIA, BOS, MYR,DCA, IAD they were clean, had newer planes and wi-fi on most aircraft and of course cheaper than AC will full points.
To be more accurate, US SYR-MIA, BOS etc was cheaper than AC YOW-those places, right?
Hardly apples to apples.

That said, US has always done me well, basic service at a basic price. Not a fan of Philthadelphia airport but the ongoing facelift should help things immensely once (if) done
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
To be more accurate, US SYR-MIA, BOS etc was cheaper than AC YOW-those places, right?
Hardly apples to apples.
Yes When in YOW I used YOW, YUL, SYR and until they pulled out PBG for my flights. In May of this year AC and Westjet was $500 - $700 for a weekend get away to MYR, but two hours away it was $202 with US and parking is cheaper too! To be fair, US was expensive out of YOW also. Again to be fair many AC flights out of SYR were cheaper than YOW to cdn locations, but bad schedule.

Sure ClousBelow you are making me eat my words ....
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Sure ClousBelow you are making me eat my words ....
Not about eating words, I've found US ex YOW to be pretty expensive most of the time.
Though, I've done a couple SYR-DCA-RSW for $79 in my day . . . 1/4 the price of AC/US ex YOW.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Please come and bring your canadian dollars to SYR to spend
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by gglave
Gonna miss them when they've moved over to One World, but until then I'm going to keep throwing them my business.
It's ain't over yet. The merger may not go through...
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:20 pm

They are leaving *Alliance at begin of 2014 regardless of the merger status.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
You may be correct, but without a link or corporate announcement, I'm skeptical.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
How could you assume that?....
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Source?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Please come and bring your canadian dollars to SYR to spend
Not a problem as long as things are cheaper there.
(I visited the US >40 times last year according to my NEXUS record. Also Canadian for the record.)
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:27 pm

Christmas flight- Odds of USAIRWAYS still in *A

Hey all,
I am asking this just to get a general consensus. I am looking to travel to Europe over Christmas. USAIRWAYS is the cheapest flight, but I definitely want to accrue on *A. Seems with the justice department challenge that flights will be credited on both ONeworld and *A for a while. But...am I taking a foolish chance? Or do most of you think there is nothing to worry about?

Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by ymmot73
Hey all,
I am asking this just to get a general consensus. I am looking to travel to Europe over Christmas. USAIRWAYS is the cheapest flight, but I definitely want to accrue on *A. Seems with the justice department challenge that flights will be credited on both ONeworld and *A for a while. But...am I taking a foolish chance? Or do most of you think there is nothing to worry about?

Thanks!
US will certainly be in the *A still, so if you fly them, you'll accrue on US. If you had any doubt, you could certainly credit to United. That said... you may accrue them on US, but its not guarantee that they'll still be in the *A when you go to use them. I presume a transition period.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
US will remain in *A until an announcement otherwise. Until such an announcement, anything else is speculation.

If they make an announcement, there will at least be a few months' lead time before leaving. At this point, I don't seem them bailing until at least March, if they do indeed bail. However, they've given no indication that they will leave *A if the merger collapses.

I'd have no qualms booking a US flight to credit to another *A FFP until early next year. Beyond that, I'd be more hesitant to.

YMMV.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by ymmot73
Seems with the justice department challenge that flights will be credited on both ONeworld and *A for a while.
Miles credit to the FF program you choose, but have to credit to a carrier in the same alliance the operating carrier belongs to - it is unheard of for a carrier like US to belong to two alliances at the same time. In your case of flying US, that means that the miles would credit to the *A carrier you supply the FF number for or there's a very small chance that they would credit to the OW carrier you supplied a FF number for. Since Christmas is not that far away, there's probably a 99.99% chance the miles would credit to US or another *A carrier.

If you credit the miles to your US FF account, those miles will undoubtedly convert from being usable on *A carriers to being usable on OW carriers. If you want them to remain usable on *A carriers, credit your flights to another *A carrier - UA, etc.

Jim
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Gold
Another delay:

Citing shutdown, DoJ requests stay in fight over U.S. Air, AMR deal
REUTERS — 7 MINUTES AGO

(Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Justice on Tuesday requested a stay of proceedings in its legal fight with US Airways Group Inc and American Airlines parent AMR Corp over the carriers' proposed merger, citing the federal government shutdown.

"Absent an appropriation, the Department of Justice attorneys and employees are generally prohibited from working, even on a voluntary basis," the Justice Department said in a motion.

"This is creating difficulties for the Department to perform the functions necessary to support its litigation efforts."

(Reporting by Ros Krasny and Diane Bartz; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.