US258 PHX-PHL, what's up with the upgrade?

Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:54 am
Original Poster

US258 PHX-PHL, what's up with the upgrade?

OK, I'm a CP, I think my previous rolling 12 months have been pretty good, there are some "blanks" around March-April where I didn't fly for a couple of weeks, otherwise I have 4 segments a week for more than 40+ weeks.

Last Year the only times I didn't get upgraded on the PHX-PHL route are week before Thanksgiving and Xmas. I was averaging 95%+.

This year, only the second week of flying, I'm already stuck in coach on this route. What the hell is up with the upgrade? This is crazy.

Anyone else has the same %^$&#! experience?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:25 am

I am flying that route in Feb. First was less than $1,000 on an international 757. I opted to go paid first to guarantee the upgrade. There were only three seats left on the seating map.

As the owner of my business, I have the flexibility to do it and you may not.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by Rhodius
OK, I'm a CP, I think my previous rolling 12 months have been pretty good, there are some "blanks" around March-April where I didn't fly for a couple of weeks, otherwise I have 4 segments a week for more than 40+ weeks.

Last Year the only times I didn't get upgraded on the PHX-PHL route are week before Thanksgiving and Xmas. I was averaging 95%+.

This year, only the second week of flying, I'm already stuck in coach on this route. What the hell is up with the upgrade? This is crazy.

Anyone else has the same %^$&#! experience?
Its one of the most difficult routes to get an upgrade on. CPs are always sitting in the back on many PHX/PHL or PHL/PHX flights. Its not surprising.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As others said, this isn't surprising to hear at all. At least you get to pick an exit row seat (hopefully, if you buy in advance), as upgrades on PHX-PHL/PHL-PHX (and CLT) are typically very rare.

And, as noted in the auto-upgrade master thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...er-thread.html

US uses a rolling 12 month's worth of miles. You could have many 500-mile credit segments, but someone with multiple TA flights, and more miles, would trump you in the upgrade queue (assuming you are the same status).

Last edited by aztimm; Jan 17, 2013 at 9:54 am
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Also you potentially two sets of CP's. Those that qualified in 2011 with status ending Feb 28, 2013. And those newly qualified last year. As the previous poster said the upgrade queue goes off of BIS miles in the last 12 months.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
As has been said, PHL/PHX and PHX/PHL are what I believe to be the hardest in the system. I never even think I will be upgraded, and always try to book the best coach seat possible (sometimes that is even hard). I was lucky last year to make most of my upgrades on this route, but I always assume I am back in coach. Always many CPs in the back.

I just went to book a trip for mid Feb to SNA via PHX, and the PHL-PHX leg was already only showing one seat available in F.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know if this rolling 12 months miles count only US "metal" miles, or will this include UA "metal" but credited towards US DM? Half of my 200K+ BIS miles are actually UA since flying US will get me to my destinations much later on Mondays, so I have to fly UA from PHL. All of my BIS miles are transcon, coast to coast, it's not 500 miles segment, so miles-wise this shouldn't be a problem.

This Monday I had trouble getting in F as well, that's until I realize US was trying to sell the last 2 FC seats all the way up to, Friday if not Saturday. I believe they finally upgraded me Saturday morning.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Rhodius
Does anyone know if this rolling 12 months miles count only US "metal" miles, or will this include UA "metal" but credited towards US DM? Half of my 200K+ BIS miles are actually UA since flying US will get me to my destinations much later on Mondays, so I have to fly UA from PHL. All of my BIS miles are transcon, coast to coast, it's not 500 miles segment, so miles-wise this shouldn't be a problem.

This Monday I had trouble getting in F as well, that's until I realize US was trying to sell the last 2 FC seats all the way up to, Friday if not Saturday. I believe they finally upgraded me Saturday morning.
I believe that as long as you credited your UA flights to US, they are PQM's, so they should count.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by LM225
I believe that as long as you credited your UA flights to US, they are PQM's, so they should count.
Not correct. This is directly from the US website regarding Preferred Upgrades:

"If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months."
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abeflyer
I am flying that route in Feb. First was less than $1,000 on an international 757. I opted to go paid first to guarantee the upgrade. There were only three seats left on the seating map.

As the owner of my business, I have the flexibility to do it and you may not.
I'm charging my travel to my client, they won't like seeing first class on anything, even it means almost as cheap as last minute coach fare. I also try to avoid getting Mustangs/Chargers/C-class/Volvos as much as I like them from Hertz. It's just simple Cruzes and Corollas for me.

Perception is everything. I wasn't even talking about my weekly upgrades (until this week) to my client just in case it will cause a brou-ha-ha.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dukeman

"If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months."
My mistake. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukeman

Yeah that would mean half of my actual BIS miles, 120K+ miles, which I'm sure is still nothing in the world of the CPs trying to get into PHX-PHL flights.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: free agent
It's always struck me as a little odd that it's only BIS miles that are taken into consideration. It means that someone with 4 transcons (PHL-SFO = 20168 miles) in the past 12 months will out-rank someone at the same level with 40 short segments in a 12 month period (40*500 = 20000) -- who will almost definitely have spent more $.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
It's always struck me as a little odd that it's only BIS miles that are taken into consideration. It means that someone with 4 transcons (PHL-SFO = 20168 miles) in the past 12 months will out-rank someone at the same level with 40 short segments in a 12 month period (40*500 = 20000) -- who will almost definitely have spent more $.
Shhhh....
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:22 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Also.. don't forget that paid Envoy-connecting passengers will be booked directly in A on the connecting flights so afternoon flights from PHL and morning flights from PHX might be full on TATL connecting passengers...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.