US @ LAX to move from T1 to T3

Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation US @ LAX to move from T1 to T3

US will move from T-1 to T-3 at LAX; T-1 will receive $400 renovation for WN:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_2...ion-renovation

Pretty much solves the "what will US and AA do at LAX" question if/when the merger takes place. As long as frequent airside bus service runs between T-3 and T-4, it can work.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FWAAA
US will move from T-1 to T-3 at LAX; T-1 will receive $400 renovation for WN:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_2...ion-renovation

Pretty much solves the "what will US and AA do at LAX" question if/when the merger takes place. As long as frequent airside bus service runs between T-3 and T-4, it can work.
Good luck at T3rdWorld- I am too familiar with it as an AS flyer out of LAX. It's a dog of a terminal (the VX side is marginally better, but only marginally). Very glad when AS escaped there.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
What do we think will happen to the US Airways Club?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by jdawg
I've been told that a Club will be opened in T3 as the LAX station manager had already been over there previously as well as T2 looking at possible options for club spaces.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Good luck at T3rdWorld- I am too familiar with it as an AS flyer out of LAX. It's a dog of a terminal (the VX side is marginally better, but only marginally). Very glad when AS escaped there.
Is T3 that much worse than T1? I've never been in T3.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
I loved this quote from LAWA:

"Obviously, Terminal 1 is pretty dog-eared," said Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports. "I want to manage expectations here. While $400 million is a lot of money, it doesn't result in a brand new, sparkling, gleaming, terminal. But it will make some very important functional improvements."
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'd bet it gets turned into 2+ WN gates

But on a serious tone, on the top right of the 6 in this terminal map:

It notes access to the Alaska Airlines Boardroom. Perhaps US could take that over?

Last edited by aztimm; Jan 15, 2013 at 4:29 pm
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by aztimm
It notes access to the Alaska Airlines Boardroom. Perhaps US could take that over?
Isn't that where the new Virgin club is?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
Isn't that where the new Virgin club is?
Yep, but VX isn't long for the world; soon enough it will flame out (completely run out of cash) and then US/AA can take it over and make it an Admirals Club. When AA bought the assets of TWA, we were able to use the former Ambassador's Club until AA vacated T-3.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Is T3 that much worse than T1? I've never been in T3.
Been in both. Both are pretty run-down. VX has done some stuff on their side to make it marginally better (like new carpet), but it's not nice.

The VX/VA, ex-AS lounge does have a great view of the tarmac. I also think there is actually space for another lounge up there (where 9 is on that map a couple posts up).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Dreamworks
I loved this quote from LAWA:

"Obviously, Terminal 1 is pretty dog-eared," said Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports. "I want to manage expectations here. While $400 million is a lot of money, it doesn't result in a brand new, sparkling, gleaming, terminal. But it will make some very important functional improvements."
It would take a brand new airport to make that airport sparkling and gleaming. LAX is such a dump. It's an embarrassment that LAX is the first impression a lot of inbound TPAC pax get of America.

Not that places like IAD, PHL, and SFO are much better, but nothing's as bad as LAX.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Superguy
I
Not that places like IAD, PHL, and SFO are much better, but nothing's as bad as LAX.
I thought that the international terminal at SFO was pretty good.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tommyleo
I thought that the international terminal at SFO was pretty good.
It's decent if it's all you see. If you have to connect ... well ...

Yep, but VX isn't long for the world;
Why do you say that?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Superguy
Why do you say that?
According to VX, it ended the third quarter with just $75 million in unrestricted cash, about half of what it had on hand at the beginning of 2012. Historically, the fourth and first quarters are lean cash-burning quarters for all airlines (2d and 3rd tend to generate cash), so unless Beardy and his friends loan VX some more money, that $75 million won't carry VX for too many months. It's always possible that VX has figured out how to charge more for its seats and thus has stemmed the outflow of cash, but I'm not confident that's the case.

As an aside, UA has almost 100 times that much unrestricted cash (and unborrowed credit line) on hand yet is about 27 times larger than VX. With cash levels that are just 25% of UA's cash levels (on a relative basis), that show the precarious liquidity position in which VX sits.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to VX, it ended the third quarter with just $75 million in unrestricted cash, about half of what it had on hand at the beginning of 2012. Historically, the fourth and first quarters are lean cash-burning quarters for all airlines (2d and 3rd tend to generate cash), so unless Beardy and his friends loan VX some more money, that $75 million won't carry VX for too many months. It's always possible that VX has figured out how to charge more for its seats and thus has stemmed the outflow of cash, but I'm not confident that's the case.

As an aside, UA has almost 100 times that much unrestricted cash (and unborrowed credit line) on hand yet is about 27 times larger than VX. With cash levels that are just 25% of UA's cash levels (on a relative basis), that show the precarious liquidity position in which VX sits.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

Don't worry though ... the way UA's being run Jeff will burn thru that cash and make the ratio compared to VX more even.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.