Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US @ LAX to move from T1 to T3

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by Superguy
It would take a brand new airport to make that airport sparkling and gleaming. LAX is such a dump. It's an embarrassment that LAX is the first impression a lot of inbound TPAC pax get of America.

Not that places like IAD, PHL, and SFO are much better, but nothing's as bad as LAX.

Ha ha! Right on the nail. Can you imagine coming from Changi to that?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd rather be an inbound passenger to LAX than any foreign passenger using UA's terminal at IAD. Can you imagine seeing that after coming from somewhere overseas? Or hell, even RDU!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:40 pm

LAT on the move to T-3:

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-trb...,4163271.story

Does anyone know what the old TWA Ambassador Club in T-3 is used for now? Alaska Board Room?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Dont call me Shirley
Does anyone know what the old TWA Ambassador Club in T-3 is used for now? Alaska Board Room?
It was the AS boardroom and is now the VX Clubhouse. The Clubhouse joined Priority Pass this year.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by dtremit
Is it just me, or is that a pretty sad shuttle frequency? I'm thinking more about connecting passengers than club users. Assuming a 10 minute ride, you're looking at up to 30 minutes just to get between concourses if you just miss a shuttle.
It sounds pretty weak to me, but if they're expecting a limited number of connecting passengers then I guess that's all they figure they can justify paying for. At 20 minutes between trips, it could be just one bus making the trip back and forth.

Will TSA allow passengers through security in one terminal if ticketed on a flight leaving from a different, disconnected terminal? If not and you can't start at T4, that's up to an hour of time spent RT just to be able to use the lounge. Of course, that would still be the case if you have to start at T3 to check bags or the like.

Hopefully enough people will make it clear to them that this isn't an acceptable alternative to having some club access in T3.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by twa777
It sounds pretty weak to me, but if they're expecting a limited number of connecting passengers then I guess that's all they figure they can justify paying for. At 20 minutes between trips, it could be just one bus making the trip back and forth.

Will TSA allow passengers through security in one terminal if ticketed on a flight leaving from a different, disconnected terminal? If not and you can't start at T4, that's up to an hour of time spent RT just to be able to use the lounge. Of course, that would still be the case if you have to start at T3 to check bags or the like.

Hopefully enough people will make it clear to them that this isn't an acceptable alternative to having some club access in T3.
US currently only has 13 departures a day at LAX. This is a very small amount to be connecting to another terminal. That said I think 20 minutes is actually quiet generous.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by B767capt
US currently only has 13 departures a day at LAX. This is a very small amount to be connecting to another terminal. That said I think 20 minutes is actually quiet generous.
It might make more sense to time the bus departures to flight arrivals/departures, then, rather than running them continuously for all those hours. The issue is connection time, not connection quantity.

Also, there's no guarantee that AA won't use T3 for other flights as integration moves forward.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: US Plat, A3 Gold
I thought that the t3 move was just temporary. Wasn't part of the DOJ approval to give up gates or slots at LAX?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Received this email yesterday regarding the US Club:

Thanks for being a valuable US Airways Club member. We wanted to let you know that we've moved to Terminal 3 at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and have closed the US Airways Club in Terminal 1. However, you now have access to the American Airlines Admirals Club® in Terminal 4 so you can work or relax in between flights. It's just a quick shuttle ride away. The shuttle runs every 20 minutes (5 AM – 11 PM) between Terminal 3, gate 39 and Terminal 4, gate 44.

As a reminder, you can use your club membership to access 35 Admirals Clubs and lounges in major airports worldwide, 31 of which are in airports where there is not a US Airways Club.

For more information and latest club updates, please visit usairways.com/club
The shuttle runs every 20 minutes? Weird?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
Quick Heads Up On The Proximity Of The Admirals Club

Had a couple hours to kill this morning....a few things to offer:

- T-3 Is a bus terminal....
- The AA Club is really nice, but it is not convenient. If they are running one shuttle, you will need at least an hour to go back-and-forth...and that is with a 15-minute stop in the club.
- At T-3 there is a huge set of stairs to climb if you are carrying luggage... it is not a "purpose built" transfer set-up.
- At the AA Terminal, you are sharing space with their Regional Jet Shuttles...and it can get quite packed and loud.

Again - this was just Day #1 of the operation. But as soon as I got to the other side, I started worrying how long it would take me to get back.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by B767capt
US has about 17-18 daily flights at LAX. Having a shutle 3X per hour is sufficient. It is not just going to be for passenegers coming off a US flight and connecting to an AA flight, but from AA passengers connecting onwards on a US flight. AA did this shuttle for many years while AS was located in T3. It isn't perfect. But it's manageable. And much better than AA cutting flights at LAX so those flights to PHL/CLT/PHX can use T4. My question is if this shutlle will actually run T3>T4>Eagle's Nest and reverse. Or will passengers have to get off the bus at T4 and wait for another one to take them to the Eagle's Nest (or T3).
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
It was the AS boardroom and is now the VX Clubhouse. The Clubhouse joined Priority Pass this year.
It is actually called the Loft, not Clubhouse.

Woo Hoo! Airside shuttle. That is progress for LAX...

Rasheed
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's not progress. AA used to run a shuttle T4-T3-T4 when AS was in T3.

I predict that at some point, AA will figure out a way to get their rump presence out of T3, because it will make connecting at LAX a pain once they are fully merged, and it's one thing to do it with a partner like AS, it's bush league to do it with your own airline.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I too suspect this will be an interim thing - thinking that once Bradley West fully opens AA gets 4 additional gates and "The New American" will withdraw from T3 altogether.

I read last year from a LAWA site report that the mooted TBIT/T3 connector had been put right on the backburner pending a full review of T3 operations. i.e. No forthcoming tenders or plans in relation to it.

FWIW, The TBIT/T4 connector is essentially a walkway across the top of a new baggage processing¹ facility wedged at the TBIT/T4 junction.

¹(and/or a facility for some other airport related function)
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by digitalpaul
I thought that the t3 move was just temporary. Wasn't part of the DOJ approval to give up gates or slots at LAX?
US has 3 gates at T3, and were required to give up 2. Apparently the ones they are giving up are becoming common use, and so they will still have access to them, just not priority.

My big question is: what is AA's MCT at LAX, and are they going to need to increase it for everyone to accommodate the handful of flights in T3?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.