Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways and Grand Rapids

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

US Airways and Grand Rapids

Any reasons for the lack of the service here?

It seems that Is GRR (Grand Rapids) might be one the largest domestic market unserved by US currently and it's a give away to Southwest who will likely launch GRR-BWI flown currently by AirTran. US could fly to DCA, PHL and CLT, where the first two would offer DC and Philly better, and along with CLT offer more connections. It's just over 500 miles to all hubs which isn't too bad.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: None
I think it was dropped when US got got quite a bit smaller in 1991 (1/3 the pilots were furloughed). If memory serves, GRR was a PI city served from the DAY hub prior to the US/PI merger and carried over after the merger for a short while until the shrinkage in 1991. I suspect that closing the DAY hub had something to do with eliminating many of the cities it served. That was also when the west coast PSA system was largely dismantled.

Jim
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:36 am

Delta, AA, and United seem to have that market saturated judging by the number of flights listed on GRR website, not to mention AirTran and G4.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tulsa and Oklahoma City are slightly larger markets without any US presence, but there's no shortage of service to either one.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I think it was dropped when US got got quite a bit smaller in 1991 (1/3 the pilots were furloughed). If memory serves, GRR was a PI city served from the DAY hub prior to the US/PI merger and carried over after the merger for a short while until the shrinkage in 1991. I suspect that closing the DAY hub had something to do with eliminating many of the cities it served. That was also when the west coast PSA system was largely dismantled.

Jim

Jim - I have a US route map from 1999 and it still shows GRR service. I'm guessing it was either dropped post-9/11 or following the closure of the PIT hub.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Grand Rapids would be closer to CLT, DCA and PHL than Tulsa or Oklahoma City to the US hubs concentrated more in the east with exception of PHX. Before the slot swap, Delta was flying GRR-DCA. Maybe it would take a US and AA merger for GRR to be linked to the US hubs, and markets like PVD to AA hubs like MIA.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: Skymiles, Mileage Plus
US Airways express flew to GRR-PIT 4x daily according to this press release which announced 1x daily service GRR-PHL.

http://www.grr.org/PDFs/nrUSAirPHL.pdf

According to airliners.net, through a google search, US Airways express ended it's last flight from GRR-PHL on October 12 2005.

In the original slot swapped that was planned in summer of 2009 US Airways was going to return to GRR but after it took 3 years for the slot swap to happen it those original plans never materialized. You can search the web for original slot swap plans and see the plan for returning to GRR.

Maybe they will consider it in the near future.

Charlie.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
With UA in Star and serving GRR from its EWR, IAH, DEN, CLE and ORD hubs, US service there probably isn't high on the priority list.

In the event of a merger, AA serves GRR with nonstops from DFW and ORD.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phlwookie
With UA in Star and serving GRR from its EWR, IAH, DEN, CLE and ORD hubs, US service there probably isn't high on the priority list.

In the event of a merger, AA serves GRR with nonstops from DFW and ORD.
You can add IAD effective in May.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ
You can add IAD effective in May.
Not a surprise, though that further reduces the incentive for US to try a DCA flight at least for now.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Not a surprise, though that further reduces the incentive for US to try a DCA flight at least for now.
Well I missed the memo but US airways is coming back in September, with 2x GRR-CLT and GRR-PHL...except they are both on CRJ 200s...

Any idea if there would be anything "special" for the inaugural flights?

Also, any buffs know when the last time there were direct flights from GRR-CLT? Has there ever been?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
Also, any buffs know when the last time there were direct flights from GRR-CLT? Has there ever been?
For a year or two back around 1994 (give or take a year) there was one round trip with a morning flight from Grand Rapids to Charlotte and a return flight in early evening. Usually they flew a small mainline jet (either a B111 or Folker as best as I remember.)

I flew it rather regularly and the flights were always pretty full. When they discontinued it I can remember asking an agent at the ticket counter how come? He said he didn't know as they were running at 80-90% capacity. I suspect their yield might not have been very good though. Back then they were running promotions for heavily discounted tickets for people that shopped at Meijer. A lot of cheap people flying to Florida via Charlotte I imagine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.