Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DM Preferred Challenge/experience so far...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.
DM Preferred Challenge/experience so far...

I have to admit I have been very pleased with my experience with US. They are efficient, customer service is good and competent. I did the GOLD match and have been upgraded 14/15 segments so far. I will reach 20 segments by next week no sweat. So my dilemma is this: I was thinking of switching back to UA where I am plat. and requalifying now that I am gteed gold on US for the rest of next year... but here are my concerns. 1) award travel seems very difficult and for much higher mileage than on UA or AA. 2) with UA I have Pre/TSA and I do not believe that US participates. Any thoughts/advice/suggestions? Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by orli-flier
1) award travel seems very difficult and for much higher mileage than on UA or AA.
Where do you want to go? Star Alliance redemption chart might be of much better value - especially in First or Business - comparing with redemption on US. Plus US does not charge YQ (aka 'fuel surcharge') while AA charges YQ on non-AA metal (or at least on BA).
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
You weren't clear if you planned to credit your UA flights to US or UA. It sounded like to US, but you also didn't explain why you switched to US or how often you fly.

Keep in mind that any DM miles you earn will be AA miles in a year or so.

I don't know how it works if you fly UA and use your US number. I know you will get credit toward US elite for 2014, but you might lose some of your UA plat benefits. Will you fly 70 more segments this year to make US plat? For that matter, can you fly 30 by the end of your trial and make Plat on US?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Great questions... I could easily requalify for plat on UA or even complete DM challenge and qualify for plat. on US. Just trying to figure out what is more advantageous. I am Lifetime Gold on AA. My biggest fear is not being able to use my miles on US to book intl travel in premium cabins, it seems when i search on US website the redemptions are very high mile wise...), but you make a good point all will be AA in a years time. Dunno what to do... US is better routing, service and upgrade oppty. I am confused.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: DM member since 1996, DM Gold, Marriott Gold
14 out of 15 upgrades is Hall of Fame material as a Gold!! What flights, times and days of the week are you flying? I am Gold with 55k BIS miles(with a much less sucess rate this year) last year and I am always looking for the best flights to book for the UG.

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Mostly CLE-CLT and CLT-MIA... not any particular time, just what my schedule dictates...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by orli-flier
. . . but here are my concerns. 1) award travel seems very difficult and for much higher mileage than on UA or AA. 2) with UA I have Pre/TSA and I do not believe that US participates. Any thoughts/advice/suggestions? Thanks!
1) US chart actually has lower mileage than UA. However, US doesn't do ow awards (well, they do, at the rt price); you cannot book online like on .sux; you cannot book those crazy ten-segment legs (US seem to have stricter routing rules); and US sometimes cannot see LH availability while .sux shows it (not sure if it's ghost availability though).

2) Yes, US participates in TSA Pre. You can check the TSA website for a list of airports where US terminals have Pre lines.
Old May 24, 2013, 1:14 pm

For the challenge, presume anything in business/first gets a COS bonus ? i.e. for Chairman's you just need 20,000 BIS miles ?
Old May 24, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Just curious. I signed my wife up for the Silver challenge as one of the perks of hitting 37.5K miles last year...

I booked her/daughter on some recent flights and she is clearing upgrades at my window of three days. I'm not on the reservation. Any ideas? Certainly not complaining... just odd.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Eric the half a bee
For the challenge, presume anything in business/first gets a COS bonus ? i.e. for Chairman's you just need 20,000 BIS miles ?
No COS bonus is given for upgrades.

But your point about making it to Chairman's is worth noting - if it is possible to get the flown BIS miles for CP, I would go for it...
Old May 25, 2013, 9:12 am

I'm meaning COS bonus counting towards the challenge for paid International Biz class..(not an upgrade)
Old May 25, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eric the half a bee
I'm meaning COS bonus counting towards the challenge for paid International Biz class..(not an upgrade)
There are no COS bonuses on the trial, even for paid first/biz tickets. You still need 30k BIS miles to hit Chairman's, whether those miles are in coach, biz, or first.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:21 am

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2013, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
You get CoS bonus for paid F/C, but it doesn't count towards the challenge. It counts towards your regular RQ. For challenge, only BIS miles count.
Old May 26, 2013, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by burlax
You get CoS bonus for paid F/C, but it doesn't count towards the challenge. It counts towards your regular RQ. For challenge, only BIS miles count.
Correct! I almost made an expensive mistake before I knew this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.