Baggage overcharge or BAU?

Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Baggage overcharge or BAU?

Last month I purchased a mixed-carrier itinerary that went SFO-LAX-SVO-TAS. The SFO-LAX segment was US operated by UA, the rest was SU. Before the flight I called up US Airways to check on the baggage policies for such an itinerary and was told that the overwater carrier rules apply, even to domestic flights, i.e. the baggage allowance and the fees are determined by SU.

I had 2 bags to check in, and n the morning of the flight when I checked in at the United counter, the agent said I have to pay $100 for the second bag, according to US Airways baggage policy. The Aeroflot fee is only $50 for the second bag. Due to baggage cutoff window, I decided not to argue at the time and paid the higher fee, then followed up with United, who reiterated that the US Airways baggage policy applied, and not Aeroflots.

Where can I seek clarification on this? US agent told me one thing, UA tells me another..
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by andreiz
Last month I purchased a mixed-carrier itinerary that went SFO-LAX-SVO-TAS. The SFO-LAX segment was US operated by UA, the rest was SU. Before the flight I called up US Airways to check on the baggage policies for such an itinerary and was told that the overwater carrier rules apply, even to domestic flights, i.e. the baggage allowance and the fees are determined by SU.

I had 2 bags to check in, and n the morning of the flight when I checked in at the United counter, the agent said I have to pay $100 for the second bag, according to US Airways baggage policy. The Aeroflot fee is only $50 for the second bag. Due to baggage cutoff window, I decided not to argue at the time and paid the higher fee, then followed up with United, who reiterated that the US Airways baggage policy applied, and not Aeroflots.

Where can I seek clarification on this? US agent told me one thing, UA tells me another..
You can appeal for a refund, but I'm not sure how far you'll get. In the future, I'd recommend when asking these types of questions, to do it by e-mail so that you have your answer documented and you have proof. When it's by phone, it's much harder to prove.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
I thought the originating carrier determined the baggage policies/ fees?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
+1, even for Int'l itins....
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
According to United's baggage page: "If your trip is marketed by a carrier other than United, that carrier’s policies apply." So it's the originating marketing carrier, not the originating operating carrier. In this case, it's US-marketed, so US baggage policies apply. (This is in accordance with US DOT regulations.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.