Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GoEnvoy/business and other TA upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:14 am

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Originally Posted by PHL
Sometimes I've seen no green/low availability but they still gave me the mileage upgrade within a day or two of the flight.

So, yes, call often.
Called and was told there was no upgrade availability yet so yes, the "call often" advice is good. And I shall as nearly half the Envoy cabin is empty.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Wrend1
Flew the first clt-lhr and returned later in the week, was able to buy goenvoy for $500 out and $620 on way back. Was the higher fare on the way back due to taxes? Fantastic flight and service on both legs, really is a different level and takes all the stress out of traveling with lounge access as well.
I assume you purchase the "GoEnvoy" upon check-in?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Heidelberg Barbie
I assume you purchase the "GoEnvoy" upon check-in?
No, I called at T-24hrs before my flight, did a dry run search and from what ive read here that is not always accurate but managed to snag 2a out and 6h on the way back, both the 'single' pods. fantastic it was.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Wrend1 ^

GoEnvoy is good value in the Envoy Suites. Glad they were available when you called T-24 ... certainly more comfortable, hah
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by kudzu
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Wrend1 ^

GoEnvoy is good value in the Envoy Suites. Glad they were available when you called T-24 ... certainly more comfortable, hah
Thank you Kudzu, yes, i have been very impressed the few times i have flown envoy, and if you can goenvoy, certainly worth the upgrade!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Flew the first clt-lhr and returned later in the week, was able to buy goenvoy for $500 out and $620 on way back. Was the higher fare on the way back due to taxes? Fantastic flight and service on both legs, really is a different level and takes all the stress out of traveling with lounge access as well.
While it could have been demand based pricing, that does sound like the impact of the UK APD.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:51 am

Thank you Kudzu, yes, i have been very impressed the few times i have flown envoy, and if you can goenvoy, certainly worth the upgrade!
I have to agree. Which is why I am working towards snagging a seat for my self this next trip.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:06 am

I was able to upgrade to Envoy using miles for my coming TATL flight FRA-CLT-PBI however there were no FC seats available on the CLT-PBI leg. Can I inquire at the gate if any FC seats are going to be unoccupied? Or can I mention it (should I mention it) to an FA as I enter the craft that I'd like to go into FC if a seat becomes available because of a 'no show'? Don't know the protocol on this.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: None
For domestic segments just ask to be put on the upgrade list at the gate if you are a US elite. Envoy is completely different - I'd try to snag a GoEnvoy as early as you can (T-24 I think). If GoEnvoy is available it's first come/fiirst served. The FA shouldn't be upgrading people whether domestic or TATL.

Jim
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
For domestic segments just ask to be put on the upgrade list at the gate if you are a US elite. Envoy is completely different - I'd try to snag a GoEnvoy as early as you can (T-24 I think). If GoEnvoy is available it's first come/fiirst served. The FA shouldn't be upgrading people whether domestic or TATL.

Jim
I did a 'dummy booking' and FC on the domestic leg is full but that is not to say everyone shows, right? I am using miles to upgrade to Envoy/FC so should I not have a chance somewhere down the 'food chain' of getting a "no show" seat up front?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:37 pm

If you're using miles for the upgrade, you definitely belong up the food chain since you're not just hoping for a GoEnvoy or GoFirst (domestic). It's just a matter of keeping tabs of available seats. Someone can tell you what bucket the mileage upgrades come from - US needs to release the seats instead of holding them for sale.

You shouldn't have to wait for seats to be released to GoEnvoy or GoFirst at T-24 since you're "paying" for the upgrade with miles. Without checking I'd guess that for domestic segments you should be ahead of US elites' free upgrades.

Jim
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
If you're using miles for the upgrade, you definitely belong up the food chain since you're not just hoping for a GoEnvoy or GoFirst (domestic). It's just a matter of keeping tabs of available seats. Someone can tell you what bucket the mileage upgrades come from - US needs to release the seats instead of holding them for sale.

You shouldn't have to wait for seats to be released to GoEnvoy or GoFirst at T-24 since you're "paying" for the upgrade with miles. Without checking I'd guess that for domestic segments you should be ahead of US elites' free upgrades.

Jim
This sounds equitable, Jim but to whom should I contact when checking in at my domestic flight? GA or FA? Or should I go to the US Airways information customer service desk? I have seen the desk in the CLT. Is that a start?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriot Titanium
I think upgrades with miles are per flight. So upgrading the TATL would not entitle you to an upgrade of the domestic leg. You would have to do a separate upgrade for that.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by rbourquin
I think upgrades with miles are per flight. So upgrading the TATL would not entitle you to an upgrade of the domestic leg. You would have to do a separate upgrade for that.
Is that a new policy? Several years ago I did an upgrade similar to this and was given all legs in Enovy/FC.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:06 pm

In theory you can upgrade with miles once your ticket is confirmed (up to 337 days out). Just call res if you pay cash for the ticket. I assume the same would be true if you were on an award ticket although who to call - issuing or operating carrier - is something I don't know (presumably issuing carrier).

The miles are per segment so you'd have four segments to upgrade - 2 domestic and 2 TATL. Note that not all carriers open seats for mileage upgrades at the same time and I have no idea when US would open seats.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.