Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GoEnvoy/business and other TA upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by whole9yards
Hi all,
Haven't flown US for almost 2 years, last time we flew, we paid $500 to upgrade to Envoy from Economy. Does anyone know if this offer is still going on please?
Many thanks!
Jake
It depends on how many J seats are still available/unsold when you check-in.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
It depends on how many J seats are still available/unsold when you check-in.
Thanks for the prompt reply. So, providing they are available, you could still do this? That's good news!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Prices have gone up in some markets. Last year I paid $500 to do GLA-PHL. This year they wanted $600. Did not buy this year
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Thanks for the prompt reply. So, providing they are available, you could still do this? That's good news!
Yes, its still available, but as RMINIONE points out, the prices have generally gone up since your last buy-up experience.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Yes, its still available, but as RMINIONE points out, the prices have generally gone up since your last buy-up experience.
I remember in 2005 doing an IAD-ZRH for $300 to get into C on UA. Ah the good ol' days ...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
This summer PHL - FCO going was $700 for the upgrade and FCO - PHL was $800. So prices do vary and it seems that $500 may be lower then the current offer. On a side note, you can typically upgrade to Envoy for $300 plus 30,000 miles which is not a great offer but for someone with a lot of miles this can be a useful alternative. I was able to do this by calling USAirways at time of Online Check-in instead of paying the $800
Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by Joe1690
This summer PHL - FCO going was $700 for the upgrade and FCO - PHL was $800. So prices do vary and it seems that $500 may be lower then the current offer. On a side note, you can typically upgrade to Envoy for $300 plus 30,000 miles which is not a great offer but for someone with a lot of miles this can be a useful alternative. I was able to do this by calling USAirways at time of Online Check-in instead of paying the $800
Oh great tips guys! We paid $500 for LHR-PHL, and on the way back they wanted $600, which I thought was strange but paid anyway. Envoy's a great product and I still think it's worth the money. By the way, has US Airways been taken off the airline partner list of Amex? I have about 40k points that i wanted to transfer to US Airways and I could swear that I used to see that as an option?? Is Virgin a partner with US Airways, ie flying VS earn US points or vise versa?
Many thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Oh great tips guys! We paid $500 for LHR-PHL, and on the way back they wanted $600, which I thought was strange but paid anyway. Envoy's a great product and I still think it's worth the money. By the way, has US Airways been taken off the airline partner list of Amex? I have about 40k points that i wanted to transfer to US Airways and I could swear that I used to see that as an option?? Is Virgin a partner with US Airways, ie flying VS earn US points or vise versa?
Many thanks!
Two weeks ago, CDG-PHL was $800 and I can't remember seeing it less than $600 in quite some time.

With miles, upgrades are $300 plus 30,000 miles. Miles normally cost 1.9 cents or so; I value them at 1.5 cents; and there are occasional schemes that allow us to buy at 1.1 cents. That suggests an alternative price range of $630 to $750 to -- gulp -- $870, so I am not surprised that the cash fees are more often $700 or $800.

Interestingly, a couple of times this fall I have found a leg in J for only $500 or $600 more than Y. Based on all of the above, I have pounced on them.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Interestingly, a couple of times this fall I have found a leg in J for only $500 or $600 more than Y. Based on all of the above, I have pounced on them.
Over Thanksgiving week I was seeing Envoy fares between PHL and LHR on select days for $1600 R/T... Swiss was also matching those fares from EWR and JFK.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:45 am

Programs: UA-1k, Starwood-G, Marriott-G, Hilton-G
Two weeks ago, CDG-PHL was $800 and I can't remember seeing it less than $600 in quite some time.

With miles, upgrades are $300 plus 30,000 miles. Miles normally cost 1.9 cents or so; I value them at 1.5 cents; and there are occasional schemes that allow us to buy at 1.1 cents. That suggests an alternative price range of $630 to $750 to -- gulp -- $870, so I am not surprised that the cash fees are more often $700 or $800.

I believe return is higher b/c of additional taxes on premium cabin seats imposed by European governments (UK and France are particularly high).
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by moxieflyer
I believe return is higher b/c of additional taxes on premium cabin seats imposed by European governments (UK and France are particularly high).
It's true that from CDG in Envoy, there is a 50 Euro solidarity tax, but unless something has changed, I distinctly recall paying that at CDG on top of the upgrade price to US. (Has this changed?)

On the positive side, when one does find the low J fares, these extra taxes are already "baked in."
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
It's true that from CDG in Envoy, there is a 50 Euro solidarity tax, but unless something has changed, I distinctly recall paying that at CDG on top of the upgrade price to US. (Has this changed?)

On the positive side, when one does find the low J fares, these extra taxes are already "baked in."
Business class fare sales, usually during times when there's little to no demand for premium cabin travel such as the last two weeks of August, and around the holiday weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas if you're flexible with your travel dates.

Airlines are willing to take a loss on the usual "MSRP" and price C/J out only a few hundred more than Y to entice leisure travelers who would normally fly coach and get at least some extra revenue for seats that would otherwise likely go unsold. It also gets leisure travellers "hooked" and may create future business at the regular price.

On my Swiss C itinerary EWR-ZRH-LCY, the actual fare was only around $450, then there was about $800 in YQ, $300 in UK Air Passenger Duty and airport useage fees, and the remaining $50 was split between US and Swiss taxes.

In comparison, LX was also advertising F seats an the same route for under $4000, slightly more than a typical C fare.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
On my Swiss C itinerary EWR-ZRH-LCY, the actual fare was only around $450, then there was about $800 in YQ, $300 in UK Air Passenger Duty and airport useage fees, and the remaining $50 was split between US and Swiss taxes.
Removing the smoke and mirrors, this looks like a $1,250 fare with $300 in UK Air Passenger Duty and airport usage fees and $50 split between US and Swiss taxes.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP

The prices have indeed increased. For a CLT-FRA flight earlier this month, US wanted $850 for a GoEnvoy cash upgrade... I miss the days not too long ago when it was $500.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Wow! PHL-MAD and MAD-PHL were $500 each exactly one year ago this weekend...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.