Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US miles as low as 1.1cpm (DM Multiplier promo)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ianturner
and now its on TPG blog.......I see this getting shut down with the quickness.
Crap......I wasn't really sure if I should post it, but whoever got in on it, you're welcome.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Unfortunately, i think it's only a matter of time till we get rants here regarding accounts being audited/blocked.

Please forward these to the TPG blog..
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gwar69
Crap......I wasn't really sure if I should post it, but whoever got in on it, you're welcome.
Originally Posted by Nikolaos
Unfortunately, i think it's only a matter of time till we get rants here regarding accounts being audited/blocked.

i was debating on doing it, but now its so high vis i dont think its worth getting my account shut down over.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Why blast TPG? Info has been on FT since Aug 16th. I hardly call a 6 page thread high vis. Maybe its just not a "once in a lifetime" deal

Last edited by LynchMob; Sep 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:44 pm
zlc

Whatever here for the 6 pages was not that detailed enough as far as holding the hand goes. Hopefully, not many people have enough credit lines to buy multiple J tickets.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
It's only due to run another 5.5 days anyway.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Nikolaos

Why would accounts be audited or blocked if you are following the terms outlined by US Airways?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Hopefully if they do anything, it is just adjust the pricing. It is silly that the double and triple can cost the same.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by LynchMob
Why blast TPG? Info has been on FT since Aug 16th. I hardly call a 6 page thread high vis. Maybe its just not a "once in a lifetime" deal
He deserves to be blasted because he (1) posted the info as if HE had thought it up, even though he almost certainly got the info from this thread and (2) has the audacity to write in his comment section that he "wouldn't be surprised" that some of the posts earlier in this thread from people having trouble getting their miles were just fabrications to prevent others from taking advantage of the promo and having the promo shut down.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by tommyleo
He deserves to be blasted because he (1) posted the info as if HE had thought it up, even though he almost certainly got the info from this thread and (2) has the audacity to write in his comment section that he "wouldn't be surprised" that some of the posts earlier in this thread from people having trouble getting their miles were just fabrications to prevent others from taking advantage of the promo and having the promo shut down.
1) TPG gave appropriate credit to the FT thread. I didn't see anywhere in his post where he took credit for the find. Additionally he provided a detailed write up of his step by step approach to take advantage of the offer and commented on his results.

2) Numerous posts to this thread have claimed that USAir has suspended accounts for abusing this offer yet no one has claimed that their account has actually been suspended. This would not be the first time in FT history that posters have discouraged others from taking advantage of a good find.

3) Why does it upset you that a blogger is informing his readers of current offers? Why did the OP make a thread if he didn't want others to get in on the deal? IMO bloggers like TPG and others sort through the best of what is out there for those that don't have the time to read every FT thread.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:46 pm

1) TPG gave appropriate credit to the FT thread. I didn't see anywhere in his post where he took credit for the find. Additionally he provided a detailed write up of his step by step approach to take advantage of the offer and commented on his results.
This is utter nonsense. The proper way to attribute the source of an idea (or "plan") that you have posted in detail on a blog is to IMMEDIATELY credit the source -- that is, BEFORE you go into the details of "your" plan. Adding a link at the bottom of a blog entry is not acceptable.

Worse, TPC words it this way: "You can also read this Flyertalk thread to get more inside scoop on the Miles Multiplier." More inside scoop??? As if his blog entry was an inside scoop to begin with? It's just garbage.

2) Numerous posts to this thread have claimed that USAir has suspended accounts for abusing this offer yet no one has claimed that their account has actually been suspended. This would not be the first time in FT history that posters have discouraged others from taking advantage of a good find.
Please include examples when making such accusations, or else you're acting no better than TPG.

3) Why does it upset you that a blogger is informing his readers of current offers? Why did the OP make a thread if he didn't want others to get in on the deal? IMO bloggers like TPG and others sort through the best of what is out there for those that don't have the time to read every FT thread.
Where exactly did I say that I am upset about bloggers informing readers of current offers? I suggest you look up "straw man fallacy" before continuing this debate.

Bloggers who consolidate info AND properly attribute their sources provide a great service. However, bloggers who act as if they're clever and create these great miles/points "plans" without proper attribution deserve to be exposed.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:07 pm

If you can do a better job blogging do so. The correct way to attribute a source in grammar is at the end...
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by keirnna
If you can do a better job blogging do so.
That's half of your rebuttal? Seriously?

The correct way to attribute a source in grammar is at the end...
"In grammar" means...???

A blogger acts as a reporter -- or an opinion writer. Sometimes both. Proper reporting dictates that the source of garnered info is to be attributed immediately so that the reader understands -- again, immediately -- that the blogger's words are not his original thoughts or beliefs. Anything less is misrepresentation.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:48 pm

If you can do a better job blogging do so. The correct way to attribute a source in grammar is at the end...
Maybe you should do some more research before getting your panties in a bunch. The original post was here:

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/08/amaz...es-multiplier/

TPG pretty much copied everything from FT right down to the bloody route - SFO-TLV - saying "I recommend booking...". What are the odds he found the same route independently? If you want to argue grammar (ironic since you say "in grammar"), proper form is to put a footnote or an endnote where you are copying material. Not some "more reading on FT" BS at the bottom when you have clearly copied the essence of your post from FT.

When I pointed this out to "The Points Guy" he had the gall to claim that he "did his own research":

I added the risk, but the audit has not been an issue and theres nothing that violates the T&C by getting miles via this method. I sourced the FT post, but I did not find out about htis 50% bonus via FT- I got na email from US and did my own research.
These are the sort of things that get journalists fired but evidently travel bloggers are just hacks who would otherwise have trouble finding gainful employment given the highly questionable ethics they are displaying these days...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
First of all, i agree with tommyleo that TPG just copy-pasted stuff from FT providing limited citation of the source (he mentions in the comments that he "did his own research" - yeah right!).

More importantly, what shows that he is ignorant and potentially dangerous for his readers is the fact that he encourages them to book refundable tickets to take advantage of the multiplier. Booking refundable tickets with no intention to fly is a red-red-red flag for airlines, as it takes away valuable inventory. Moreover, it increases the price of the tickets for the rest of us!!

So one would expect that airlines would (and should) go hard on people that abuse it. Thankfully, booking refundable tickets just to take advantage of the multiplier is easily traceable. The sad part is that most of the people that will have their accounts audited will be people that just put faith on an "alleged" expert that is as ignorant as they are, regarding how airlines act.

Originally Posted by vortix
Why would accounts be audited or blocked if you are following the terms outlined by US Airways?
So, to answer votrix's question the same way i did for TPG, booking refundable tickets and canceling just before the upgrade window is also not against the T&Cs. But airlines tracked these people (thankfully) and suspended their accounts (thankfully x2)!!

In a comment that was removed by the TPG's blog i cited two threads from FT that refer to the abuse of the option to cancel of refundable tickets (I am sure they are many more).

Maybe it will be useful for some to take a look:

Phantom fare to Ensure Upgrade Availability

Phantom Fare to Ensure Empty Seat Next to You

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.