Strange Upgrade Process

Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Strange Upgrade Process

Flying tomorrow MEM-CLT-BUF. Upgrade cleared at window for CLT-BUF (Mainline), got the new thumbs down on MEM-CLT. Thought that was strange, as I don't picture that route full of CP's. (I have not missed a UPG in over 18mths). I went to check in via my mobile.usairways.com @ t-24 to ensure best priority and it said "No Upgrades Avail". When I got back to my PC, I used OLCI and I went to "change seats" and it allowed me to choose a FC seat. Reservation then showed as a "O" Class.

Seems strange and could allow a lower level elite to take a upgrade from a higher level if they were doing OLCI first?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: nowadays: dl pm, formerly: hp plat/us cp/aa exp, nw plat
Just as another data point, I recently checked in and saw that at the summary, I was in First/O but with a Coach seat assignment. I brought up the change seat option and it showed the First Class cabin but all the seats were taken.

I probably should have called - I wonder if there might've been an available "blocked" seat in Row 1... Anyway, I was running late so I continued the check-in process and it ended up printing a coach boarding pass for that segment with the coach seat assignment shown originally. Looking back at the reservation after the trip, it reverted to Coach/original fare class. Definitely strange.

Aside from a weather cancellation/rebooking, this was the only missed upgrade so far this year so I really can't complain. That being said, I definitely think their upgrade process still has a few IT gremlins lurking about...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Hi,

I received the thumbs up and thumps down as well. I was able to get 3 out of 4 upgrades. The upgrade that I did nto receive still shows three seats available in first class. In the thumps down it states;

We automatically check for upgrades up until 24 hours before your flight. If you haven't been upgraded by then, you can request an upgrade when you check in.

Do they really do check for upgrades up until 24 hours? Has anyone had success with this?

Should I call to see about those three seats that show availability when i do a dummy booking?

Thank you

ML
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Mary Louise
Hi,

I received the thumbs up and thumps down as well. I was able to get 3 out of 4 upgrades. The upgrade that I did nto receive still shows three seats available in first class. In the thumps down it states;

We automatically check for upgrades up until 24 hours before your flight. If you haven't been upgraded by then, you can request an upgrade when you check in.

Do they really do check for upgrades up until 24 hours? Has anyone had success with this?

Should I call to see about those three seats that show availability when i do a dummy booking?

Thank you

ML
How many seats are available at the low level when you do a dummy award booking?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.