Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Announcement: USAirways Discontinues Interline Bag Check on Split Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcement: USAirways Discontinues Interline Bag Check on Split Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by RMINIONE
Make sure you read Easy Jet's baggage policy. The cost of your luggage can be more than the ticket! http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage
Yes I purchased my bag yesterday. What I'm unsure of is whether I am still allowed 2 carry ons?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Yes I purchased my bag yesterday. What I'm unsure of is whether I am still allowed 2 carry ons?
One.

From http://www.easyjet.com/planning/cabin-baggage -> More information on cabin bags

"Your one ‘cabin bag’ covers a bag, laptop case, brief case, handbag, bumbag, rucksack, carrier bag or wedding dress carrier
Motorcycle helmets are also allowed as/within cabin baggage (providing they follow the relevant size dimensions).

Please note that all these items will be classed as your one cabin bag.

Find out what items are allowed in the cabin in addition to your one cabin bag allowance
Other items you’re allowed in the cabin include: an overcoat, shawl, umbrella, crutches or walking frame/stick and one standard size bag of duty free goods from the departure airport. This is in addition to the one item allowance."
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: US PP
So just to be clear:

If I bought IAH-PHL-DUB on US Metal on one PNR then bought DUB-CPH-AMS on SK as a separate PNR, the bags have to be checked in again at the SAS desk in DUB? I gave myself 2 hrs as an MCT.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: None
Sincer no one else has responded, that's the way I understand it. Note, however, that rarely do such things affect non-rev travel so I don't know anything about how it actually works other than what I've read here.

Jim
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by tank089
So just to be clear:

If I bought IAH-PHL-DUB on US Metal on one PNR then bought DUB-CPH-AMS on SK as a separate PNR, the bags have to be checked in again at the SAS desk in DUB? I gave myself 2 hrs as an MCT.
Yes - they would need to be reclaimed at DUB and then rechecked to AMS. Not sure if it is even possible for the GA to do an interline even if they are willing. Had an agent in PHL tell me that the computer wouldn't allow it. I didn't push the issue since I had a long connection time in FRA and was expecting to have to reclaim there.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
SK should have a desk in the baggage reclaim area. They may be able to tag the onward bag there if you play dumb.

FWIW, AA still allows for interline transfers on split tickets which I did 3 weeks ago AA->US. I hope this benefit is not enhanced by DP/HP/US.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Delta and Alaska have the same policy...I'm sure everyone will fairly shortly.
I checked in last week on a Delta coach ticket to JFK and checked my bags all the way through to Bengaluru on a separately-purchased Emirates business ticket. No problem.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: US PP
Update:
US agent at IAH tells me she can't interline unfortunately.
IAH-PHL-DUB
bag picked up in customs, garda confused why I didn't just transfer. walked to SK check in at T1 DUB, bags checked again.
DUB-CPH-AMS

The return also confused SK. I tried through checking on SK-SK-US-US-US, agent "tried" but said she couldn't.
CDG-CPH-DUB-PHL-CLT-IAH
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: US CP, Marriott Life Platinum, AVIS 1st
Had two separate PNR's PHL-DEN on US and DEN-BIL on a UA/US codeshare. I am *Gold & Chairman. The US rep at PHL refused to route the bags to BIL. Got a supervisor and they said this "rule" has been in place for 2 years. Got on the phone with Chairman's support and they said it could be done as a courtesy but the agent would not budge. In the end I had to get the bags in DEN and recheck in and missed my connection.

On the return flight from BIL-DEN the UA agents had no issues routing the bag through to PHL and I have no status other than *Gold with UA.

Shame on US and their crappy service at PHL.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
I have a trip on two seperate tickets, US and AA.
Ticket one: Us aaa-bbb
Ticket two: Aa bbb-ccc
Its a domestic trip and connecting time is 3 hrs.
I was told that US wont interline the bag to AA but AA will interline bag to US.

Two weeks ago, I was trying to interline bag on two tickets and it was us to us on a domestic trip.
The agent refused to do so even it was US to US.
I find it a little bit ridiculous.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by pigx5
I have a trip on two seperate tickets, US and AA.
Ticket one: Us aaa-bbb
Ticket two: Aa bbb-ccc
Its a domestic trip and connecting time is 3 hrs.
I was told that US wont interline the bag to AA but AA will interline bag to US.

Two weeks ago, I was trying to interline bag on two tickets and it was us to us on a domestic trip.
The agent refused to do so even it was US to US.
I find it a little bit ridiculous.
I had an agent in SEA a couple months ago give me a ton of gruff about a request to check a bag through on back-to-back US PNRs as well. It prompted me to write in to customer relations who apologized for the agent's behavior and noted they would pass it along to their leadership at SEA to be rectified. At no point did they mention what checking bags through was not permitted or anything like that.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I just called the AA EXP line, was assured that US WILL interline bags with AA, visa versa.

That said, the policy on the US website http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html is clear:
Are you traveling on more than one airline?

As long as you booked your flights together in one itinerary, we'll check your bags through to your destination. We'll also check your bags through on all of your US Airways flights.

If you have 2 or more tickets that you booked separately, you'll need to pick up your bag and re-check it with the next airline.

I have a trip in late February 2015 where this may be an issue, does not appear that the AA, US systems will be merged by that time.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I need to get to SFO, but was only able to get an award ticket on US to LAX. I need to buy a one way ticket for the rest of my journey - and am unsure if I use AA, if US will through check my bags to SFO.

Any ideas on who to contact at US for clarification?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
I just got stung by this interline policy. Came here to see if I could find any background story before writing an angry letter to US about it. Glad I did.

Checked in at US in TPA a few weeks ago, going to LAX on a paid ticket. In LAX, I had a 6 hour connection to THAI Airways, going to Bangkok on a THAI award ticket. The US agent at TPA refused to check my baggage through to BKK. I never knew this policy came into effect over two years ago. Thinking about it, I may have missed it because I over-nighted sometimes at LAX in years past. With a recent schedule change by THAI now to a midnight departure, I can make the trip from Florida to BKK with no overnight stops now.

I complained at the US counter in TPA when they refused to interline my baggage, and though the agents are only the messengers, they weren't good messengers; couldn't tell me what was behind this policy to refuse to through-check baggage on two separate tickets. It seemed like an arbitrary and irrelevant reason to refuse to interline. They come across like it was my fault for doing an itinerary on two tickets. I pointed out that their website offers no options to BKK, just as THAI's website does not offer options to/from TPA. I'd have to get a single ticket from a third party like a travel agent or Expedia, and the reality is that you can't always get the best flights and fares when stringing a complex itinerary together. And you can't do it anyway when a portion of the itinerary is on an award ticket. Bottom line, there are legitimate reasons in today's world where single-ticket itineraries, though desirable, are not practical to obtain.

Checking bags only as far as LAX was a big inconvenience because I had to retrieve them and wait 3 hours before the THAI ticket counters opened so I could check them again. In the mean time, there is no decent place to hang out in the Tom Bradley terminal with a cart full of bags. Currently there is one restaurant there pre-security; it was overpriced, uncomfortable, and jammed with luggage carts all around from other passengers forced to do the same thing. If I hadn't had the bigger checked bags to be concerned about, I would have just taken a walk over to In 'n Out, sat outside with a burger and a drink, and watched the heavies landing on 24R.

Anyway, I'll contrast the problems getting to BKK with how THAI Airways handled my check-in at Bangkok for the trip home: I asked them to tag the baggage through to Tampa, and provided my onward US flight numbers for them. (Of course, I would still have to retrieve the bags and clear customs in LAX regardless of where they were tagged to, but with them already tagged to the final destination it saves possibly waiting in a line at baggage recheck outside of customs in LAX; instead, I can just hand the bags off.)

Not only did THAI tag the bags correctly through to TPA for me, they also handed me boarding passes for my US flights to CLT and TPA. Didn't expect that to happen after the US withdraw from Star Alliance!

I have to believe that this whole "ruling by DOT" basis for these policies was an unintended consequence of the DOT rule change, and complaints to the DOT should be made. Interlining baggage has been done for the better part of a century, and it's not rocket science. There's no practical reason it should be so inaccessible now. Rather, it's just a lack of commitment to good customer service.

Last edited by Sam Drucker; Nov 14, 2014 at 6:55 am
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Back in May 2014, on my first experience with US, I had a ticketed flight as part of a DONE5 that was US Airways PHL-PHX (ticketed through AA), and a separate US Airways ticket that was PHX-DEN (ticketed through US), with a scheduled connect time of just under 4 hours. I approached the First Check in Desk at PHL with details of both itineraries and hoping to through-check the bags, but the agent would not budge on issuing me with boarding passes for both flights, and outright refused to allow the bags to be through checked, forcing me to leave the secure area, get bags, recheck in and recheck bags. Despite the connection time, I barely made it back to my PHX-DEN flight because of this experience.

Surely this is not US Air's policy to refuse to check bags on two US Air flights that are on two separate tickets? I am a OWE through QF. Is there a way to deal with this at the check in desk to ensure this doesn't happen again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.