Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kudzu
Standby (on US) does not apply when the flights are more than 6 hours apart ...

Since Standby is linked to MoveUp, and MoveUp can only be done at airport, I'm assuming Standby can only be done at airport.
So, bottom line, with a flight at 6PM, there is no way for me to get on the other daily flight at 9AM?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by nycatl
If the flights per day are more than 6 hours apart, then it is Standby (with all applicable rules/waivers) correct? Can I be added to the Standby List via phone?
The usual way around this is the "double MoveUp" but it's not a given you'll get it. You first move up to a flight within 6 hours of departure, then move up a second time to one earlier. Availability needs to exist on both flights involved. You may find a kind agent who can help with both move ups, else try one at the ticket counter, and another at the gate. It has worked for me - sometimes.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Plan B

With mixed carrier itineraries, is the restriction then based on the ticket stock or the operating carrier?

The multi-city itinerary is :

Segment #1 : US
Segment #2 : US (6pm) > standby is operated by AA (Before 12pm)
Segment #3 : AA
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I am an AA EXP, and am flying with a friend who has no status. Both our tickets are in the same reservation (PNR) - nonstop flight, US-marketed and US-operated. I'd like to do a simple MoveUp, and I realize that US would waive the fee for me based on my status. Would my friend have his fee waived as a result of being in the same PNR? I could not find any mention of this on the US website.

Does anyone have experience on whether the fee waiver is extended to other pax who may be traveling in the same reservation as a passenger with status?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by gary_nj
... Would my friend have his fee waived as a result of being in the same PNR? ...
Mykle has the best post on this subject. I've followed his advice with success.

The computer prompts the agent to charge, and I was prepared to pay the fee for my no-status companion (so as not to argue and hold up the line) and seek a refund later. Luckily, I did not have to on several occasions. However it goes, the agent is not to blame; it's the software.

The CSM policy applies to US Preferreds and companions on the same PNR; I'm assuming at this stage of the merger that it would apply to AA elites too.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:42 pm

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 11:08 pm
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Geauxtigers
Does MoveUp allow you to change to a later flight within a few hours?
Negative. Move up is only for earlier flights.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:14 am

Unhappy Move up!!!

Looking for some help~~~~

i have a reservation tomorrow departing 330pm, and trying to get on the flight departing 1145 at least, or 824 even better.

so i know 1145 will be absolutely qualify the Move up Rule plus no fee for GD.

is that possible that i stopby at airport after midnight to request the move up? will they allow that? if they can confirm for me, maybe i can try tomorrow morning ask for another move up to 824?

or should i get up early tomorrow and do it at once? (of cause different agents, or different counters or whatever might success)

tried call them, it seems like even i call GD phone number, they are handling all reservation in same line. makes no difference and super long wait time. and no success. and the agent said i can only go 1 hour earlier than 1145 flight to standby. then that becomes normal standby stuff isn't it?

what is going on here, need some help to clear my mind....

Appreciate!!!!!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:50 am

You can do a double move-up, but it can only be done at the airport on the day of departure. Can't do it over the phone and can't do it online. Not sure if there would be anyone at the airport after midnight, so I can't answer that part. Just tell the agent what you want to do (goal to get on the 8:24, but you know they need to move you to the 11:45 first, then to the 8:24). If you didn't have preferred status, there would be two move-up fees. I've had no problem with the double move-up, and the agent thanked me ahead of time for telling her what I wanted to do (I guess she did some trick to make it easier for herself).

Originally Posted by okyu
Looking for some help~~~~

i have a reservation tomorrow departing 330pm, and trying to get on the flight departing 1145 at least, or 824 even better.

so i know 1145 will be absolutely qualify the Move up Rule plus no fee for GD.

is that possible that i stopby at airport after midnight to request the move up? will they allow that? if they can confirm for me, maybe i can try tomorrow morning ask for another move up to 824?

or should i get up early tomorrow and do it at once? (of cause different agents, or different counters or whatever might success)

tried call them, it seems like even i call GD phone number, they are handling all reservation in same line. makes no difference and super long wait time. and no success. and the agent said i can only go 1 hour earlier than 1145 flight to standby. then that becomes normal standby stuff isn't it?

what is going on here, need some help to clear my mind....

Appreciate!!!!!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:03 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by Mykle
You can do a double move-up, but it can only be done at the airport on the day of departure. Can't do it over the phone and can't do it online. Not sure if there would be anyone at the airport after midnight, so I can't answer that part. Just tell the agent what you want to do (goal to get on the 8:24, but you know they need to move you to the 11:45 first, then to the 8:24). If you didn't have preferred status, there would be two move-up fees. I've had no problem with the double move-up, and the agent thanked me ahead of time for telling her what I wanted to do (I guess she did some trick to make it easier for herself).
Oh, thats interesting, i thought it would be better not telling them the double move up part. but yes that make sense, if that would be easier for them, why not. even if they reject double, they cannot reject 1 move-up, the worst case i can go somewhere else and ask for another one. and i do have preferred status, so fee waived, yeah~

if i bypass airport tonight, i will give it a try, if not. then maybe tomorrow early morning. Thanks Mykle!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by okyu
if i bypass airport tonight, i will give it a try, if not. then maybe tomorrow early morning.!
Just to be clear - they won't be able to do it at the airport tonight even if you do stop by. It has to be the done the same day as departure at the airport. I actually tried before a few years ago when I had to be there anyway dropping someone off, a nice agent agreed to try even though she didn't think it would work, and the system did indeed prevent it.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EP
2012 Changes to MoveUp Program (and not for the better) [master thread]

I have done a same day move up early at the airport. Was traveling with my partner on a flight in the evening with no upgrades available. An afternoon flight had 2 seats left for upgrades. Went before work at 7and I moved up and upgraded me at the same time.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:38 am

Are MoveUp seats capacity controlled in some way? (If I recall, "E" inventory is for same-day confirmed flight changes on AA.)

In other words, if the flight I want to switch to has at least one seat actually available at the time I arrive at the ticket counter, will I be confirmed?

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Are MoveUp seats capacity controlled in some way? (If I recall, "E" inventory is for same-day confirmed flight changes on AA.)

In other words, if the flight I want to switch to has at least one seat actually available at the time I arrive at the ticket counter, will I be confirmed?

Thanks!
Yes. It just needs to be in the same class of service, the fare code doesn't otherwise matter (e.g., if just a first class seat were available but you have a coach seat they won't be able to do it). There have been some cases where people have reported here that they've gotten a runaround from agents about fare class, but these agents seem to not understand how MoveUp work and are trying to refare instead of MoveUp. I've never encountered this and on the off chance you do, just try another agent.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Yes. It just needs to be in the same class of service, the fare code doesn't otherwise matter (e.g., if just a first class seat were available but you have a coach seat they won't be able to do it). There have been some cases where people have reported here that they've gotten a runaround from agents about fare class, but these agents seem to not understand how MoveUp work and are trying to refare instead of MoveUp. I've never encountered this and on the off chance you do, just try another agent.
Beautiful. I think I'll start with one of the AAngels in the US/AA lounge here in DCA, since they seem to get things right more often than the rank-and-file at the ticket counter.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.