Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred lane etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:31 am

DillMan, I agree wholeheartedly, except for one thing - don't deny groups 1-4 from these excellent pointers! Remember - if you're 1-3, you need to spend as much time as possible making sure that people know that you are very, very important! If you don't take your time getting on the plane, less people will notice you.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 3:13 pm

Flew last week to CUN and it was my first time experiencing the new lanes, however they were irrelevent in my case; was traveling with my wife and 2 kids (22 months old). My question however is when did US stop allowing pax with children to board ahead of everyone? As we were traveling in F cabin this became a non-issue but after a call for anyone needing special assistance to now pre-board, we were met by GA's with "you can't board till zone 2 with children". Last year I traveled with my kids about 12 times and never had this come up. Why announce preboarding for anyone needing special assistance and then tell me that I cant preboard with children?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by belugalove
Flew last week to CUN and it was my first time experiencing the new lanes, however they were irrelevent in my case; was traveling with my wife and 2 kids (22 months old). My question however is when did US stop allowing pax with children to board ahead of everyone? As we were traveling in F cabin this became a non-issue but after a call for anyone needing special assistance to now pre-board, we were met by GA's with "you can't board till zone 2 with children". Last year I traveled with my kids about 12 times and never had this come up. Why announce preboarding for anyone needing special assistance and then tell me that I cant preboard with children?
There are layers of logic superimposed in this new boarding system. If you are going to start posing specific existential questions like this, we are never going to get anywhere.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:37 pm

There are layers of logic superimposed in this new boarding system.

And where may I find out more information on this new boarding system?

If you are going to start posing specific existential questions like this, we are never going to get anywhere.

??? Sorry but I failed 10th grade Sci-Lit.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
There are layers of logic superimposed in this new boarding system.

And where may I find out more information on this new boarding system?
Try here.

But good luck making sense of it. I can't

If you are going to start posing specific existential questions like this, we are never going to get anywhere.

??? Sorry but I failed 10th grade Sci-Lit.
Not to worry -- you may have a future designing boarding systems for airlines.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:21 pm

I think was the issue was when they said "pre-board" half the plane stepped forward. Isn't zone 2 still plenty early?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by shack42
Stand outside the lane and only enter it when First Class is called

Or

Queue immediately in the lane (if seated in F) when arriving at the gate
Or

C) Stay in lounge for another drink
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: US CP; SPG P; Hyatt P; HH S
Originally Posted by zkzkz:18850285
C) Stay in lounge for another drink
+1. IMO, flying F means I don't have to deal with that queuing nonsense... And no offense meant, but my loathing of the queue is the key reason I *never* fly SWA.

As long as the preferred lane is clear-able (even though I may get some nasty looks), I'm content to board whenever. It's only if I'm later than Zone 3 and on E70s that I have legitimate problems with overhead space. The people who give you nasty looks on your way by are also the ones giving you envious looks as you sip your bourbon as they walk by upon boarding.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I boarded late, from the "blue lane" for Preferreds; I walked up, and the US employee standing at the front said, "First class?" and I said, "Yes", and he said, "Right over here", and led me to have my boarding pass scanned, making a coach passenger wait. I felt like a jerk but was apologetic.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I boarded late, from the "blue lane" for Preferreds; I walked up, and the US employee standing at the front said, "First class?" and I said, "Yes", and he said, "Right over here", and led me to have my boarding pass scanned, making a coach passenger wait. I felt like a jerk but was apologetic.
Why feel like a jerk? that's why the lane is there.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by higgies
Why feel like a jerk? that's why the lane is there.
I agree.

Every once and a while I fly an airline where I have no status. I wait my turn for boarding zone 9,432 and watch as all the elites and anyone else with status boards. No worries, no complaints.

Maybe I don't think twice about it because I know the 100,000 + miles I fly on different airlines to get that status and so I know the people who board in front of me have done something to deserve to board earlier.

When someone gives me a look for boarding early, I don't think twice about it. I fly a ton to get that privilege.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shack42
Queue immediately in the lane (if seated in F) when arriving at the gate
I tend to arrive at the gate at least 90 minutes early and queue immediately in the lane, even if the GA is working another flight. (Those people can just go around me and my herd of carry-on bags.) Brings back fond memories of flying Southwest in the 1990's.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Question No Gate Lice

Flew DL for the first time in years. 99% of my flights are US with an occasional AA or UA. Neither of my 2 DL flights had any gate lice and no one abused the boarding procedure. Elite lanes were used only by elite. This might have been an exceptional situation, but if not, why shouldn't it be that way with other airlines?

Not looking for someone to say if I don't like US to fly on another carrier. Just looking for rational explanations.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by marlee1421
Flew DL for the first time in years. 99% of my flights are US with an occasional AA or UA. Neither of my 2 DL flights had any gate lice and no one abused the boarding procedure. Elite lanes were used only by elite. This might have been an exceptional situation, but if not, why shouldn't it be that way with other airlines?
You just got lucky. I've been on some US flights where the boarding went smoothly and Delta flights where it was a disaster.

I think it is a problem for all airlines. The "solution" would be for GAs to be trained to be rigid in their application of the rules -- turn everyone away who tries to go through the line before their zone is called. If they did that consistently for long enough, people would learn and they would stop jamming up at the podium. Unfortunately, it would take years, since many people don't fly that often and don't learn that easily. There is also a PR problem because the airlines don't like to make customers angry and turning them away from boarding will tend to upset people.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
The other issue being tons of non english speakers traveling to and from tourist destinations.... when they see the GA get on the speaker, they are ready to board in zone 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.