Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL to DUB Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:02 am
Original Poster

PHL to DUB Help

I'm new to the forum, but not new to DM. I have about 330k that I've accumulated over the years with the credit card, and silver right now due to 33 segments so far this year.

I'm planning a trip to Dublin, Ireland in September/October for my honeymoon, and I'd love to be able to take us first or Envoy class. About the best fare I can find on their site is 145k, but the dates we want are 195k.

Since I've never booked award travel before, I'm sure that I'm missing some tips and tricks. Any advice?

Shane
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: US-CP
Having just flown from PHL to DUB in Envoy, I would suggest you use your miles on a Star Alliance Partner to Dublin (only need 125 per for a First Class ticket). Don't get me wrong, the 757 and 767 Envoy product is better than coach, but it is not worth burning that many miles. I'd much rather use them on the Envoy suites to LHR and buy a cheap ticket from LHR to DUB.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm sure others will chime in with similar advice but I would take your DMs and use them to fly another *A carrier to DUB. For that price you can do better than US 767-based Envoy PHL-DUB. The seat is angled-lie-flat and rather narrow compared to every other business class carrier. AFAIK "Envoy Suite" which is flat and IS worth 100K points or so, is not offered PHL-DUB. US does not have F class.

Downside is that you may have to endure a connection in Europe and be flexible with your dates. Upside is it will only cost you 100K RT each and are generally more comfortable with better on-board service and lounges in Europe. From the US Air "Use Miles" page click the "Award travel chart" for more info.

Set aside a couple days to read this thread: Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED] or take a few minutes to just read the first page. Everyone on that thread is highly knowledgeable and helpful, but be sure to do a bit of homework before posting a question.

PS: looks like another Doc beat this Doc to the punch...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the great information so far. I knew I was missing something! From what I can tell using the Star Alliance search tool, I could fly United with a connection in Newark. Based on the US Airways award partner chart, I could get that flight for 100k by calling an agent? Do I have that correct? The United Flight would be a better seat?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Yeah, but you have to make sure there is availability in the class you want and that is the difficult part. I use the KVS tool but I think you can use the UA site as well to see if there is award availability fort he dates/flights you are interested in.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by dps5
Thanks for the great information so far. I knew I was missing something! From what I can tell using the Star Alliance search tool, I could fly United with a connection in Newark. Based on the US Airways award partner chart, I could get that flight for 100k by calling an agent? Do I have that correct? The United Flight would be a better seat?
United just started DUB service from IAD so that would be an option as well. You can look on the United website for award availability but to use your US miles, you will need to call US to redeem.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
OP should also be aware of the extra taxes (appx. $300 IIRC) imposed by UK authorities on premium cabin tickets, even on award tickets, when transiting LHR/London. So, OP might want to see if he can transit through a different country, maybe using SAS via CPH? I also think that FRA imposes a premium cabin tax, but not sure on that either.

In any case, definitely something that should be considered when planning ANY premium cabin redemption to Europe.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:55 pm

Assuming that your Origin is PHL and you are not connecting from another city - and especially (but not exclusively) if the September/October US flight is a 767 and not the 757, my thought is, why suffer the hassles of connecting (or mis-connecting) in the U.S. and especially Europe to experience a 180 flat instead of a 170 recline on a 7 hour flight? Also, since it's Off Season and if $ wasn't a concern, I'd look into the possibility of upgrading from the lowest excursion fare to Go Envoy at online check-in for $400 (or less) $400 each or $1600 total round trip for 2 - and save the miles for a 2nd Caribbean honeymoon during the winter.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by perseus11
I'd look into the possibility of upgrading from the lowest excursion fare to Go Envoy at online check-in for $400 (or less) $400 each or $1600 total round trip for 2 - and save the miles for a 2nd Caribbean honeymoon during the winter.
When I flew PHL-DUB-PHL back in February, they wanted $600 each way to upgrade into Envoy.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by gwar69
When I flew PHL-DUB-PHL back in February, they wanted $600 each way to upgrade into Envoy.
Yep, I know it varies, based on how much US wants to sell the seats when you request them. I have upgraded to FRA for $300 and BRU for $400 at airport check in - not OLCI, but my associate has bought 1 way upgrades for $300 to DUB and several times to AMS at OLCI. I think there's an old thread on here with a list of experiences using Go Envoy.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I realize that this is an old thread... and I'm new to this Forum (now joining thanks to US Airways now in One World).

The aircraft operating between PHL and DUB seems to be an A330-200 at the moment. Does anyone know if this has the new business class configuration?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by mccorry
I realize that this is an old thread... and I'm new to this Forum (now joining thanks to US Airways now in One World).

The aircraft operating between PHL and DUB seems to be an A330-200 at the moment. Does anyone know if this has the new business class configuration?
All of the A330s (-200 and -300) have the new business class (suites) configuration.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
All of the A330s (-200 and -300) have the new business class (suites) configuration.
Excellent! Thank you! It's tough trying to find your way around a new forum and its way of doing things!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:46 pm

Excellent! Thank you! It's tough trying to find your way around a new forum and its way of doing things!
Not to bust your bubble, but I would be leery of the 332 staying on that route if you're planning on traveling in prime TA season. It may be there now, but that route seems kind of thin for it to stay widebody when the season cranks up.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:08 am

As other people nave said, all of US' A330 have the Envoy Suite. The Envoy Suite has lie-flat seats, AVOD with more than 250 movies and 350 audio options and everything else you could need.

The A330-200 (there are currently 14 in the fleet, with one more to be delivered) have 20 Envoy Suites in a 1-2-1 configuration and 238 Main Cabin seats in a 2-4-2 configuration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.