Wiki Posts
Search

US a "low cost" carrier like Spirit?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat

I found this article interesting. It referred to US as being a "low cost" carrier and lumped it in with airlines like Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant. I think I'd still consider US as one of the majors.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/travel...html?hpt=tr_c2
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: DL Platinum, US Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold 5*

Their stock symbol is LCC (Low Cost Carrier). Follows them from the America West days.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I was sitting next to one of US' pilot instructers from JAX-CLT. He was telling me that US is seen as a legacy carrier but in fact their crew costs are $50 less p/h than Southwest...So despite the cost of their EU routes right now I suppose the article is accurate...

Go Gators
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by GNVGator
I was sitting next to one of US' pilot instructers from JAX-CLT. He was telling me that US is seen as a legacy carrier but in fact their crew costs are $50 less p/h than Southwest...So despite the cost of their EU routes right now I suppose the article is accurate...

Go Gators
But aren't they trying to win back Business travelers with new corporate contracts?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GNVGator

Go Gators
Everybody's crew costs are less than Southwest.

I think most would consider US a "traditional" legacy carrier. They have First/Business class, they have a traditional frequent flyer program, they run a legacy-type schedule/route model (hub and spoke with multiple frequencies per day between each city pair), etc. Just because their cost structure is lower than other legacies doesn't make them a low cost carrier.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US is a low-wage airline, but not a low-cost airline. In 2011, AA had a lower CASM (ex-fuel and ex-labor) than did US, and that was before any bankruptcy-induced lowering of AA expenses. On an all-in basis, US had a much lower CASM than did AA because of its very low wages.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Reminds me of this classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaNl8...83D7D8AB92A1D0
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CMK10
Hilarious.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:28 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Make no mistake about it, there are those in Tempe that realize the LCC mantra was the wrong route. IF the AA/US merger happens, thankfully you will never see the letters LCC ever again!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.