Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading companions on separate PNR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Upgrading companions on separate PNR

Does anyone know if there was a recent change in policy on upgrading companions on separate PNRs?

I was under the impression it could be done the day of, at the airport, and had successfully done that several times in the past. Due to my work schedule, I generally am on reservations which start out as leisure and end in a business trip, so I always have to book a different PNR then my SO.

The other day, I was on a flight which was wide open in F, and upon check-in at the BOS, was told that my SO could not be upgraded without me paying for it since it was a different reservation (same flights though). I told her I thought it was fine to do the day of, and had done it in the past. She called over a supervisor who called a desk somewhere to confirm the rules, and also stated you can never upgrade someone a different PNR. I tried again at the gate, was quoted the exact same rule. One of the agents mentioned something about "being called into the office" so my guess is there was a crackdown recently in handing out complimentary upgrades.

Has anyone else had problems recently with these sort of upgrades? or was that never policy in the first place. I thought it was mentioned on the US website in the past, but see no references now. The only reference I could find on FT was here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...n-upgrade.html

It is a bit frustrating when I need to fly on a different reservation for various reasons. I can't un-upgrade myself, so I always have to play musical chairs on board and give the random person an upgrade so that I can sit with my SO, even if I just want to stay in coach.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
In Feb, I got upgraded with a companion on the silver sweep. The gate agent wanted $50 for a go envoy upgrade for my 2nd companion (now on a separate PNR since I had to split for the sweep). We said no thanks to that and asked the FA once on board since there were several seats in F still open... the FA had no problem with the 2nd comp moving up with us. Maybe just ask nicely once on board if you have no luck with the GA?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: nowadays: dl pm, formerly: hp plat/us cp/aa exp, nw plat
Originally Posted by doctor15
Does anyone know if there was a recent change in policy on upgrading companions on separate PNRs?
According to some Google searches, I located the following links that indicate that the Companion Upgrade policy was changed sometime around March, 2010:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...on-needed.html

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thegat...on-us-airways/

The one thing I love about US is that companions in our PNR clear at our window instead of after everyone else at the gate like many other airlines. That being said, I did some at-gate companion upgrades on America West 2-3 times when traveling with family and can see where it would be handy for some.

When I was Platinum on NW in the early 00's and in my 20s and single, I enjoyed giving companion upgrades to cute girls in the gate area on NW/CO flights. Man, I feel old now. Sorry for going OT down memory lane...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by nethak
When I was Platinum on NW in the early 00's and in my 20s and single, I enjoyed giving companion upgrades to cute girls in the gate area on NW/CO flights. Man, I feel old now. Sorry for going OT down memory lane...
When you put it that way it almost sounds like that gentleman with the lifetime AA First Class pass. He upgraded random strangers flying to London in the check-in area.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by skitch23
In Feb, I got upgraded with a companion on the silver sweep. The gate agent wanted $50 for a go envoy upgrade for my 2nd companion (now on a separate PNR since I had to split for the sweep). We said no thanks to that and asked the FA once on board since there were several seats in F still open... the FA had no problem with the 2nd comp moving up with us. Maybe just ask nicely once on board if you have no luck with the GA?
Preferred members are only entitled to upgrade one companion. What would make a person think they could get a 2nd companion upgrade for free?? Also, the FA could get into some trouble for upgrading passengers.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch
Preferred members are only entitled to upgrade one companion. What would make a person think they could get a 2nd companion upgrade for free?? Also, the FA could get into some trouble for upgrading passengers.
We weren't expecting to get the upgrade... it was just one of those "ask politely and see what happens" kind of things. There were 6 open seats in F so it wasn't like we were taking away someone else's free upgrade (or someone else's purchased upgrade for that matter if they wanted to fork over the extra $50). The FA asked the GA when she came on with the final passenger count if our 2nd could move up and she said yeah no problem.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:58 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Have had success with day of companion upgrades as recently as May 2012. Now GA in CLT tells me it's "impossible."

Can anyone clarify the actual current policy?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:27 am

The rule were changed a long time ago. Must be in same PNR/reservation, etc. You can find lots of threads regarding this very frustrating issue. A lot of flyers are upset because the companion is the spouse
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:52 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Have had success with day of companion upgrades as recently as May 2012. Now GA in CLT tells me it's "impossible."

Can anyone clarify the actual current policy?
From the US website

Companion upgrades

One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've always had good luck asking the GA. Done it about 4 times in the last 3-4 months. All you can do is try. I've actually had been luck with coworkers than spouses.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I take it the same holds true for CP companion certs?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
I take it the same holds true for CP companion certs?
No, cp ecerts are different. Companion does not have to be IN SAME record, just travelling on same transatlantic/Hawaii flight.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Alas, it's a little worse than that ... they have to be on the same itinerary, which means that even if you are only using one cert for one of the ways (out or back), the +1 has to be traveling with you, even if not on the same PNR, on the other way (back or out). Makes no sense to me, but there it is.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Alas, it's a little worse than that ... they have to be on the same itinerary, which means that even if you are only using one cert for one of the ways (out or back), the +1 has to be traveling with you, even if not on the same PNR, on the other way (back or out). Makes no sense to me, but there it is.
More reasons to book one-ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.