Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket Change "I don't accept these changes" (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Ticket Change "I don't accept these changes" (merged threads)

Hi,
I originally booked a multicity itinerary on US Airways via phone. Today, I checked the reservation online and it said "Your flights have changed. Please accept these changes or call us at 800-428-4322". Now I only have a 1.5 hr layover in PHL on my return leg (FRA-RIC), which doesn't look like it's enough, what with all the shuttles and customs. I clicked "I don't accept these changes." and it tells me to call them. I am hoping to change to a later flight to RIC where I have a 4hr 10min layover, or (probably not) change to an earlier flight from FRA. Before I call them: does anybody have any experience with this? Do you get some sort of compensation if you can't change, or do you have to pay to change flights

Also: I originally tried to book the later flight from PHL anyway, since 2hr 10min didn't sound like enough either. It somehow didn't work, so they booked me and my 3 others on the earlier flight. I don't know if it'll work booking the late flight this time. Maybe it was just the customer service rep who didn't want to sell out the flight (there were only 4 seats left anyway).

Last edited by bokaj99; Apr 9, 2012 at 9:16 am
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by bokaj99
...Before I call them: does anybody have any experience with this? Do you get some sort of compensation if you can't change, or do you have to pay to change flights?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, bokaj99 ^

My experience has been that they'd put you on the later flight to RIC if that's what you prefer, since that may be easier than re-routing you FRA-CLT-RIC.

No, generally you don't have to pay change fees when there is a significant change of schedule which impacts you.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:15 am
Suspended

I'm sure they'd change you but personally that seems like a terrible idea IMO. 1.5 hours may be enough time and worst case scenario you miss that last leg and get on the same flight you are trying to connect to by changing. Best case scenario you make the flight and arrive 2.5 hours earlier. People often overestimate the time for customs, etc. plus if you are really in a rush you can usually ask nicely to jump the line.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
You should think about getting a Global Entry pass. With it customs in PHL becomes a breeze and 1.5 hours in PHL would be plenty. Just went through PHL customs last month and two major international flights had landed in front of us. I just walked up to the kiosk, swiped my passport, grabbed my bag, walked through security again and I was at the US B lounge in about 30 minutes from leaving my seat on the plane.

Go Gators
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. My first option would be to get the later flight to RIC. I could also get a global entry pass; that would be useful b/c I travel to Europe at least once a year.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
This happened to me last year. I had booked a rock-bottom PHX-AVP trip, and there was a schedule change--they took away the last PHL-PHX flight of the day.

When I called, they pretty much offered me whatever I wanted. Any flight that day, the day prior, or the day after. I hadn't seen such service before. No charges for anything.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
I would recommend researching your ideal flights first;, then just call and ask to be switched to those flights due to the schedule change.

It should not be a problem, and if they even attempt to charge a fee hang up and call again.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: US Gold; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Anytime I get this email I never click I accept these changes. I think of it as a get out of jail free card in case I need to cancel or change my flight. I've called with small time changes and made a case for why this will not work for my travel schedule. They refunded the ticket no questions asked. Obviously YMMV but I dont think clicking that you accept the changes does anything.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I booked a round trip international award flight from LAS-BKK with 3 hr stops in LAX each way. The flights are in November.

I didn't get an email but I logged in to view my reservqtion last week and saw that both of my LAS-LAX flights had been cancelled and new flights assigned.

Instead of two 3 hour stopovers, I have a 7 hour stopover and a 1.5 hour stopover.

I called them, there was nothing else they could do. they told me I could cancel the itinerary at no charge if I wanted to. I told them I will call them back and let them know.

I wonder if I can wait until October/November and then call and cancel the itinerary.

Anyway, I agree that there seems to be no benefit at all to accepting the changes. Even if you do nothing, you have seats on the new flights they have assigned. No reason to accept that I can see.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
As others have said, if you call, they'll book you on whatever flight you want- in my experience, a later one has been no problem.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by reggae
I dont think clicking that you accept the changes does anything.
Clicking Accept changes the reservation to show the new schedule has been accepted by the passenger. From that point on, further changes will result in a change fee. Granted, you might be able to call right away to change it, but once you click Accept, the reservation and ticket is updated to reflect the new itinerary.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
As others have said, if you call, they'll book you on whatever flight you want- in my experience, a later one has been no problem.

Correct. It has also been my experience that said rebookings often end up in full Y class, which when it comes to miles, is a nice little bonus.

As far as this specific situation goes, I am with the OP. Go for the later flight down to RIC, or look for wn option through CLT. With flights being increasing crowded, I would rather know I have a confirmed seat, with a longer layover, versus racing between flights, missing the connection, then having to standby for the flight I was already confirmed on.

While it is too late to buy the discounted club pass now, should you be booking another US Airways flight between now and this trip, consider buying the 35, or is it 39 dollar club pass as part of that reservation, then use it during this long layover. Have a drink or two, a light snack, and unwind after your long flight. Of course that part is just a suggestion.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mykle
Clicking Accept changes the reservation to show the new schedule has been accepted by the passenger. From that point on, further changes will result in a change fee. Granted, you might be able to call right away to change it, but once you click Accept, the reservation and ticket is updated to reflect the new itinerary.
Is there any danger that if one does not click the "accept" button the new itinerary will not be held (and the old one, presumably, no longer exists?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: US Gold; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mykle
The reservation and ticket have already been changed. The point is there is no benefit to clicking on accept changes.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by kwildnj
Correct. It has also been my experience that said rebookings often end up in full Y class, which when it comes to miles, is a nice little bonus.
This definitely hasn't happened for me in this situation. It has stayed in the same fare class as my original purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.