Newbie question: Exit Row Seats Released to non-preferred?

Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Newbie question: Exit Row Seats Released to non-preferred?

When does US Air release Emergency Exit Row from CLT to Caribbean (SXM)? Agent told me 24 hours ahead online. Just checked and still not there (has been right at 23 hours and 50 minutes. Husband is 6'8".....help! Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:31 am

Is that flight 1560 on March 31? If so that flight is 100% full. So there probably are no exit row seats to open up. Preferred members can pick them at any time, so a lot of times they are taken earlier than 24 hours out. Although KVS shows row 24 as all available. Try checking in and see if you can switch into those seats.

Otherwise though, normally they do open up at 24 hours out for change upon check-in. But on popular flights they are probably going to already be taken.

Last edited by javacodeguy; Mar 30, 2012 at 7:36 am
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
The online seatmap has been showing me the actual availability of the exit rows when I'm not logged in (although I imagine a non-preferred would not be able to select them until T-24).

If this is the case, you'd be able to see if exit row seats are open or not, even if you can't select them yet.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by javacodeguy
Is that flight 1560 on March 31? If so that flight is 100% full. So there probably are no exit row seats to open up. Preferred members can pick them at any time, so a lot of times they are taken earlier than 24 hours out. Although KVS shows row 24 as all available. Try checking in and see if you can switch into those seats.

Otherwise though, normally they do open up at 24 hours out for change upon check-in. But on popular flights they are probably going to already be taken.
I think this is completely incorrect. Exit rows aren't released to non-preferred until OLCI if done on day of departure, and even then, there's a fee associated with the change (it's usually $55 on CLT-SFO, for example). It's not the case anymore where you can wait for midnight Phoenix time day of departure to check in and change to an exit row seat for free...
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by blueheronNC
I think this is completely incorrect. Exit rows aren't released to non-preferred until OLCI if done on day of departure, and even then, there's a fee associated with the change (it's usually $55 on CLT-SFO, for example). It's not the case anymore where you can wait for midnight Phoenix time day of departure to check in and change to an exit row seat for free...
Most exit seats can be bought by anyone at anytime as a "choice" seat. On certain routes, certain seats may be blocked for preferred members until 24hrs prior, but that's certainly an exception to the rule.

All choice seats become free 45 minutes prior to departure.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by MavSeven
Most exit seats can be bought by anyone at anytime as a "choice" seat. On certain routes, certain seats may be blocked for preferred members until 24hrs prior, but that's certainly an exception to the rule.
HUH????

Unless there has been a very recent policy change, non-Preferred do not get exit-row access -- at any price -- prior to 24 hours before the flight.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
HUH????

Unless there has been a very recent policy change, non-Preferred do not get exit-row access -- at any price -- prior to 24 hours before the flight.
I'm inclined to believe you, but just going by the website where it says the seats can be purchased at any time.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...Unless there has been a very recent policy change, non-Preferred do not get exit-row access -- at any price -- prior to 24 hours before the flight.
You're correct, there's been no change in policy.

Originally Posted by MavSeven
I'm inclined to believe you, but just going by the website where it says the seats can be purchased at any time.
Website page explains the difference between Choice and Preferred seats ...
How are Preferred seats different from Choice Seats?

Choice Seats are available to everyone for a fee during check-in. Preferred seats are seats in the front of Coach and in the exit rows that only Preferred members can book prior to check-in at no charge.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by kudzu
You're correct, there's been no change in policy.

Website page explains the difference between Choice and Preferred seats ...
Exit row seats are preferred seats, not choice seats. I'm going to be pissed if they start selling exit row seats to everybody else.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: I miss US Airways
HUH????

I can confirm---flight next Wednesday, when trying to pick an exit row:

In order to select this seat, at least one passenger on this itinerary must be a Preferred Dividend Miles member. If you or someone else on this itinerary is a Preferred member, please fill out your passenger information and then select this seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.