Search

"Airplane mode" is not good enough?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
"Airplane mode" is not good enough?

I was on a US flight yesterday and the FA made a very emphatic point that all electronic devices must be turned completely off for take-off and landing. She emphasized that 'airplane mode' does not count -- they must be powered completely off before they are stowed. She really belabored that point.

I've never heard such an announcement. The whole point of 'airplane mode' is that the device doesn't emit a signal that "could interfere with the aircraft's navigation system."

Is this a new official interpretation of this policy -- or is it a FA making up her own interpretation? She did seem to pride herself on making all of her announcements at least somewhat different than the standard fare. One passenger slightly challenged her on this new twist, but he quickly figured out it was not in his best interest to pursue it.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec. Plat., HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver, Hertz Pres. Circle, Starwood Gold, etc.
I've heard that many times... off means powered off completely. I don't know if it really matters but I power down my phone.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I think technically you are supposed to be shutting off all electronic equipment, including phones for takeoff/landing. Honestly though, I don't think keeping your phone on in airplane mode will matter. I can't see the FA going through the plane asking each person to take their phones out of their pockets and prove they are powered down. I always keep my phone on and in airplane mode for my flights.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
This could be a long thread if the age old debate of whether electronics should be off for take-off or landing. But let me clarify. In airplane mode, the radio transmitters are off in the device. I.e., the device does not act as a radio.

It is still an electronic gadget, just like ipods, laptops,noise cancelling headphones, video games, etc. These are prohibited by all airlines for takeoff and landing.

BTW, the notice about airplane mode is said on nearly every flight I take, regardless of airline. The FA is not doing anything out of the ordinary.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Electronic devices totally off......

It's some type of silly regulation. What would it matter if someone were reading a paperback or their Kindle?

My ex-neighbor was a pilot for UA and he said they never turn off their phones.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I was on a US flight yesterday and the FA made a very emphatic point that all electronic devices must be turned completely off for take-off and landing. She emphasized that 'airplane mode' does not count -- they must be powered completely off before they are stowed. She really belabored that point.
Have heard this on my last few US flights. Since the jackass next to me kept his Kindle on through taxi, takeoff, climbout, and landing (despite being asked 5 times by two different crew to shut it off and put it away), I didn't figure they were going to be checking my phone to see if it was in airplane mode or truly off.

I've only once or twice actually seen an FA get into it with a pax regarding flight mode, and it's pretty obvious when it's in flight mode versus when it's truly off.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
I've heard that exact phrasing many times as well.

Do I think it has anything at all to do with electronic interference? No. Do I think the flight attendants want to minimize the likelihood that someone's still got a smartphone in their hand, playing Angry Birds during takeoff? Possibly.

Turning a device "off" means different things for different devices anyway. When I shut my iPhone "off" and turn it "on" when we've landed, it's maintained the time (even in airplane mode, so its not getting it from the tower on power up). If I were to turn my second phone -- a Palm Pixi -- "off," it doesn't maintain the time. Is the iPhone really turning "off," then? I say no -- something must still be powered for the clock to remain active. Anyway, bottom line is I put the Pixi in Airplane Mode, I turn the iPhone "off," and I don't worry about it affecting anything.

As someone else mentioned, the whole electronics interfering thing is a rabbit hole in and of itself. As an electrical engineer, I cringe every time an FA says anything about turning devices off because they cause interference. If that were the case, then the navigational electronics on the plane are designed more poorly than your average clock radio. I read once that they really just don't want projectiles in peoples' hands if things get bumpy on take-off or landing -- that makes a lot more sense, but maybe people would pay less attention than saying that it interferes with navigational electronics? Who knows. (I wonder if the FAs even believe it themselves?)

Ottermatic
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Leaving aside the logic of whether or not there is a problem with electronic devices are any point during the taxi/take-off/flight ...........

They always have been telling pax to turn off all electronic equipment for many years now. But because so many people do not pay attention, including many frequent fliers I see sitting around me, they now have adjusted the safety announcement to stress and reiterate and belabor (whatever verb you like) to turn OFF your devices.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:27 pm

Yes, everything has to be off according to FAA regulations. The airlines and FAs are required to enforce these rules, so getting mad or arguing with them over it is not going to get you anywhere. Either petition the FAA or your elected officials.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:02 pm

Technically the only phones that can be used above 10,000 feet are those that have the airplane mode feature. However, for taxi, take off and landing they're supposed to be completely powered down.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:07 pm

Since some aircraft have wifi it also removes any doubt about whither that is allowed either way.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Along with the possible EM interference (let's not debate this ad infinitum please) there's the safety issue - if you're paying attention to your Kindle at the time when incidents are most likely to occur (taxi, takeoff, landing) and not paying attention to your environment or possible crew instructions, the risk factor of personal injury or death increases. That's my opinion on the matter.

Here's my electronics example. They legally cannot require me to shut off my hearing aids, yet they are electronic devices. Mine wirelessly communicate with each other and many also have optional accessory remote controls - some built into wrist watches - for discreet control. If hearing impaired people did disable hearing aids or cochlear implants that would also increase the risk factor, outweighing any potential reduction of risk with respect to EM or RF interference.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by BadTime
Since some aircraft have wifi it also removes any doubt about whither that is allowed either way.
Gogo generally doesn't you connect below 10k feet.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
There's actually a similar thread to this over in the Travel Technology forum that I was just browsing this morning:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lane-mode.html

I've heard the same announcement, turn phone/whatever all the way off. I actually did this when I first got my iPhone, but it got annoying. I now put it in airplane mode and in my pocket. Never had any issues with this.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:36 pm

There's no standard to what airplane mode means. Also think about how many devices come out each month and what it would mean to regulate their behavior. Just a thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.