"Airplane mode" is not good enough?

Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aztimm
I've heard the same announcement, turn phone/whatever all the way off. I actually did this when I first got my iPhone, but it got annoying. I now put it in airplane mode and in my pocket. Never had any issues with this.
That's what I do as well. Same with my iPad. And my computer, for that matter, which I put to sleep; it's not powered completely off.

None of them will create any issue with the "aircraft navigation system" and they're stowed, so they won't be distracting me in the event of an emergency -- the things the airline is concerned about.

I do my share of flying as a long-time US CP. And I've never once heard an FA make such an emphatic and specific point that "airplane mode is not enough" in an announcement -- until yesterday.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
And I've never once heard an FA make such an emphatic and specific point that "airplane mode is not enough" in an announcement -- until yesterday.
Maybe someone from FAA or US MGMT was on board?

Nevertheless, I understand why they say it, but I'm going to guess the gogo boxes are emitting signals continuously below 10k feet, so it seems a bit ridiculous (save for the distraction issue).
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Off is off. "Anything with an on/off switch much be off". "Airplane mode is not off" "Standby is not off". I've heard all of these many times. Regardless of any beliefs on the impact of electronics on an aircraft, the requirement has always been "off".

Nothing new here, IMHO.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by vysean
I'm going to guess the gogo boxes are emitting signals continuously below 10k feet, so it seems a bit ridiculous (save for the distraction issue).
Except that GoGo (or any other electronics maker who wants to install their equipment on an airplane) must go through the FAA certification testing.

Jim
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
I wonder why people get so uptight about just turning the whole darn thing off. Especially regular travelers like the OP in this thread. It has always been the case. Keep in mind that DSPs, amplifiers, other circuitry in pretty much anything that can process audio nowadays does in fact have some RF (radio frequency) output. And of course the distraction factors.

What's the big deal about just turning it off?

I do agree that putting the phone into Airplane mode before turning it off is a good idea. That way when you do turn it back on after the double-ding, it turns on in airplane mode, without first sending out max-strength RF trying to get a tower to respond.

As to e-Ink readers like Kindles, Kobos, Nooks (not the color ones), yes, the screen is off when you're not turning pages. But there is a timer circuit running to put it into sleep mode. Plus who knows what the "check with the mothership" WiFi or 3G cycle is before the next time it decides to sync what page you're own or phone home with 'anonymized' data? So again, just turn it off.

I've flown US a lot when I was a 1K on UA and a Plat on CO when US made more sense fare-wise. US isn't telling you anything different than AS, AA, DL, UA/CO, or anybody else does.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Life Platinum, AVIS 1st
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I do my share of flying as a long-time US CP. And I've never once heard an FA make such an emphatic and specific point that "airplane mode is not enough" in an announcement -- until yesterday.
I hear it at least once a every other week and I typically have @5 flights a week. It seems to be a point of emphasis for some FAs just like some FA's seem to focus on the window shade issue with a obsessive/compulsive approach that would make Rainman look normal...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Along with the possible EM inter ference (let's not debate this ad infinitum please) there's the safety issue - if you're paying attention to your Kindle at the time when incidents are most likely to occur (taxi, takeoff, landing) and not paying attention to your environment or possible crew instructions, the risk factor of personal injury or death increases. That's my opinion on the matter.
I take it then that you don't believe that passengers should be allowed to sleep or read the in-flight magazine during takeoff?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Except that GoGo (or any other electronics maker who wants to install their equipment on an airplane) must go through the FAA certification testing.

Jim
And it's still emitting the same signal my laptop does when WiFi is on. Yet that's safer somehow having an FAA sticker on it ...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by mikew99
I take it then that you don't believe that passengers should be allowed to sleep or read the in-flight magazine during takeoff?
Generally, nope. Obviously sudden violent aircraft movement should awaken everyone but why people can't remain awake during the more critical periods is something I don't understand. Similarly, why crew can't awaken sleeping pax upon descent when making final checks is also something I don't understand.

As for reading the magazine - yea, not sure about how one can actually prevent that.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: US Platinum
I've heard the same message on flights too. However, "airplane mode" (as others have pointed out) only turns off your cellular transmission radios (GSM/CDMA/4G) and not your Wi-Fi or Blutooth radios (which you should turn off manually). Honestly though, radio signals haven't been a problem since wiring was upgraded a long time ago. IMO, it is a "better safe than sorry" approach and will probably be loosened up a little bit every few years.

But, what really irks me is when a F/A tells you to turn off the movie on your phone in airplane mode (at 10K feet). Once in airplane mode with all radios off, the device is nothing more than PDA.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Generally, nope. Obviously sudden violent aircraft movement should awaken everyone but why people can't remain awake during the more critical periods is something I don't understand. Similarly, why crew can't awaken sleeping pax upon descent when making final checks is also something I don't understand.

As for reading the magazine - yea, not sure about how one can actually prevent that.
I don't know what it is, but quite often I'll fall asleep as the plane is pulling away from the gate and wake up as the FA's are doing the drink service. The hum of the motor, especially if I've worked out that morning, I just zonk out when I sit down. Even more so if I'm in F.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:38 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by blue47
It is still an electronic gadget, just like ipods, laptops,noise cancelling headphones, video games, etc. These are prohibited by all airlines for takeoff and landing.
Southwest specifically allows noise cancelling headphones during takeoff and landing.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Nonetheless, it kind of destroys the safety implications of reading a Kindle during takeoff and landing, doesn't it? If one is too dangerous, so is the other! But I guess it's easier to prevent folks from using their Kindles, so that's what the airlines choose to do.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Superguy
And it's still emitting the same signal my laptop does when WiFi is on. Yet that's safer somehow having an FAA sticker on it ...
Yes, something the FAA has rigorously tested and validated, and under control of airline maintenance and testing processes, is statistically safer than something tested by Steve at Dell and tossed around in my laptop bag for the last 2 years, unless you disagree with the science of quantitative risk assessment.

If you do, then you should be fine with airlines just plugging in non-FAA parts all the time, wondering why the bother when they get fined. Heck, let's not deal with these expensive FAA navigation systems, just get the latest Garmin GPS up in the cockpit. It works for me hiking through the woods, so just slapping an FAA sticker on it can't really make it any better.

Why do so many people think they're smarter than an entire industry of professionals.

And why do so many people find it so hard to just follow some simple rules? Can't go without Angry Birds for 10 minutes?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
And it's still emitting the same signal my laptop does when WiFi is on
Are you sure? If you are a qualified engineer and have reliable test data regarding harmonics and other possible unrelated emissions, then I will agree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.