Wiki Posts
Search

$25K spent on credit card converts to 10K PQM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
$25K spent on credit card converts to 10K PQM

I have the World Elite USAirways credit card. When I hit the $25K in spending mark earlier this year, the conversion of 10K miles to PQM occurred the same day those pushover miles posted to my Dividend Miles account.

My wife has the Premier World USAirways credit card. Her current benefits also state that you get "10,000 miles toward preferred status when you spend $25,000 in net purchases per year with your card." But her pushover miles posted to her Dividend Miles account a few days ago and they have not converted to PQM yet.

Should I be concerned?

I seem to remember that an old version of her credit card T&C stated something about a 20K conversion when you spend $50K. I want to make sure that is not the rule in effect.

Anyone have any knowledge or personal experience to share?

Thank you!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Mine (with Barclays - BofA was another story sometimes) have always posted/converted/whatever the same day the miles posted.

How close to $25K spend is she? I mean if she's just barely over, are you certain you aren't counting any possible late December charges that are on the January billing statement?

Unless that 10K will make a difference in status in the next month, I'd probably wait a billing cycle and then call Barclays if it still isn't reflected.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:27 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
12/x/2008 01/07/09 VISA EVERYDAY PURCHASES 1,xxx
12/31/2008 01/17/09 VISA BASE MILES CONVERSION -10,000
12/31/2008 01/17/09 VISA PREFERRED MILES CREDIT 10,000

1/x/2009 02/09/09 US WORLD CARD: US AIRWAYS PURCHASES 2,xxx
2/x/2009 02/09/09 US WORLD CARD: EVERYDAY PURCHASES 24,xxx
2/x/2009 02/09/09 US WORLD CARD: BASE MILES CONVERSION -10,000
2/x/2009 02/09/09 US WORLD CARD: PREFERRED MILES CREDIT 10,000

At times even the regular miles took 1 month to post!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Mine (with Barclays - BofA was another story sometimes) have always posted/converted/whatever the same day the miles posted.

How close to $25K spend is she? I mean if she's just barely over, are you certain you aren't counting any possible late December charges that are on the January billing statement?

Unless that 10K will make a difference in status in the next month, I'd probably wait a billing cycle and then call Barclays if it still isn't reflected.
Thanks ArizonaGuy. I am counting December purchases on the January statement. I guess she is at 24,953. I'll wait another month. Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:22 am
Original Poster

OK. Roll the clock forward one month and still no conversion of 10K miles to preferred. When I contacted US, they contacted Barclays on my behalf and the bank said that my wife is indeed "one of a very small number of cardholders who will convert 20K miles from regular to preferred after spending $50K on the card." (We are not going to spend that much in 2010). I have the annual renewal letter from Barclays stating that she will have 10K miles converted to preferred after spending $25K. Obviously I am contesting this and will let you know what the outcome is. (This will enable her to be Gold rather than Silver).

Anyone else fall into this category? If so, what was the resolution?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by apeortdz
OK. Roll the clock forward one month and still no conversion of 10K miles to preferred. When I contacted US, they contacted Barclays on my behalf and the bank said that my wife is indeed "one of a very small number of cardholders who will convert 20K miles from regular to preferred after spending $50K on the card." (We are not going to spend that much in 2010). I have the annual renewal letter from Barclays stating that she will have 10K miles converted to preferred after spending $25K. Obviously I am contesting this and will let you know what the outcome is. (This will enable her to be Gold rather than Silver).

Anyone else fall into this category? If so, what was the resolution?
I guess I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that they are claiming their offer was 20,000 preferred miles after spending $50,000 but not 10,000 after spending $25,000?

I'm just about at the $25,000 level now and am curious about the process also. In my case it will most likely be the difference between Plat and CP.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by richinaz
I guess I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that they are claiming their offer was 20,000 preferred miles after spending $50,000 but not 10,000 after spending $25,000?

I'm just about at the $25,000 level now and am curious about the process also. In my case it will most likely be the difference between Plat and CP.
Thats very odd. I'm about to hit $50,000k in total spending - from two Barclay's cards ($25k on each card). Will be interesting to see when they post (especially after a 5 month wait for my companion certs on one card).
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richinaz

Yes. Barclays claims the offer on my wife's card is 20K converted miles after spending $50K and not 10K converted miles after spending $25K. My card is 10K converted miles after spending $25K (and that did convert successfully).
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:39 pm

Wow -- keep us updated. I've never heard of a US card that needs $50k in spend to get EQM. (Although I do know that they were doing this last year where you could get the second 10k EQM for the $25k to $50k spend.)

It's funny -- I worked hard this year to try get to the EQM spend, only to have h/s/j make it irrelevant for me. But I would like to hear about this for next year. My US card is one of the last I'd try to spend on but for the EQM.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum)
Can someone confirm that it is calendar spend based on the posting date of the transaction, and not the transaction date or bill date? (Or confirm which it is?) Barclays couldn't tell me anything (told me to call USAirways) and the Chairman's rep I spoke with wasn't sure either. I have two cards (long story) and once one posts my 10k miles, will switch to the other...but from the USAirways side you can't tell which card posted the miles. I can go through my statements (online) but need to know what date to use (had some big transactions that posted last week of Dec on my January bill...guess those were for last year?)
Thanks, and sorry if this has already been answered (I didn't find an answer)
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
It's the transaction date. Not the posting date. I've confirmed this on my own in the past by having a number of large 12/30 and 12/31 purchases that posted in January not count - meaning if they had the $25K spend would have been reached three months sooner than it did that year.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
It's the transaction date. Not the posting date. I've confirmed this on my own in the past by having a number of large 12/30 and 12/31 purchases that posted in January not count - meaning if they had the $25K spend would have been reached three months sooner than it did that year.
Thanks so much. Now I know why I haven't seen my miles convert yet. Guess I need to put away the Amazon Visa and Costco Amex and go back to my MasterCards for a while...

I travel mostly for business so to me, status is more important than the raw miles--even as Chairman I don't always score the upgrades, but at least I have a fighting chance.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat
i just finished spending $25,000 of my Barclay's card and just got my 10,000 preferred miles .....well...10,000 not preferred changed to preferred. But i'm about to finish my h/s/j which will give me CP for 2011. Had a lot of house projects which helped me get the $25,000. jeesh.. promotion after promotion after promotion..no wonder we get confused
Old Aug 26, 2010, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by funsmpls
i just finished spending $25,000 of my Barclay's card and just got my 10,000 preferred miles .....well...10,000 not preferred changed to preferred. But i'm about to finish my h/s/j which will give me CP for 2011. Had a lot of house projects which helped me get the $25,000. jeesh.. promotion after promotion after promotion..no wonder we get confused
Did your miles convert on a same day (or next day) basis? My wife's miles have still not converted and when I called Barclays they said I needed to wait 4-8 weeks and to call back then.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Did your miles convert on a same day (or next day) basis? My wife's miles have still not converted and when I called Barclays they said I needed to wait 4-8 weeks and to call back then.
4-8 weeks seems excessively long based on my experience.

I just got my most recent bill and it pushed me over the $25K limit (normally I would have a tough time getting there but due to classes I can charge and then have my company reimburse me later, I was able to get there this year).
Anyhow I looked at my account today (the bill arrived last week) and 10,000 miles had already converted. I have yet to pay it.

As others mention it is for items purchased this year, not for stuff bought in 2009 and paid for in 2010.

So in my case it was done very quickly. 65,384 and counting. I need to throw in a trip to Boston along with other scheduled trips and I should be CP by Thanksgiving. Probably the first and last time that will happen.

Good Luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.